21 replies to this topic

#1 jonsensback

jonsensback

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,548 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:24 AM

http://www.theatlant...000-year/57774/

Way too funny and pretty much smacks the face of all the poor Big Bird outrage from obamaites:rolleyes:.

#2 LarryN

LarryN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,905 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:41 AM

Doh!!
"She's like the ex-girlfriend they're SO over, never want to see again, have already forgotten about -- really, it's O-ver -- but they just can't stop talking about her." --- Ann Coulter, discussing Sarah Palin

#3 CajunRaven

CajunRaven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,376 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:08 AM

The excuses will be along momentarily.
Is it Football Season yet?

“When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”

Thomas Jefferson

#4 SalisburySage

SalisburySage

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,830 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:09 AM

I told you all this on day one! The big bird controversy is just another non issue used by Obama to cover his dismal and disgraceful record. He will lose the election 273 to 265. Mark my words,
Attacking Gay marriage and trying to legislate your beliefs that homosexuality is a sin in order to protect American Families is like banning money to cure poverty

"Moral disapproval of a group cannot be a legitimate state interest."

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss

#5 NCBirdfan

NCBirdfan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,674 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:09 AM

Way too funny and pretty much smacks the face of all the poor Big Bird outrage from obamaites:rolleyes:.

That explains why he wants Obama to drop his name from the ads!:P
-----------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
- Mark Twain

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#6 Phineas Finn

Phineas Finn

Bewildered/Befuddled Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,948 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:12 AM

The excuses will be along momentarily.

Excuses for what?
Over 10,000 posts -- who would of thought you could stuff that much crap into one little cyber bag?
This is the day that the Lord has made
. Let us rejoice and be glad in it!
Psalm 118:24

#7 bullmikey

bullmikey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,891 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:30 AM

I don't think Big Bird is outraged. In fact, if seems the big guy is none to happy about being made a political football.

CBS News

But the paly rough ball in Chi-town. No exceptions. Not even for Big Bird. I expect the boys in the Fedoras will be paying the big yellow feather duster a viisit any day now. You know, to community organize him.

:rwb:
“Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.”
__ Robert E. Howard, The Tower of the Elephant

#8 Byng

Byng

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,317 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:32 AM

Big Bird is an actor and not real? Oh no.:)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. Jacques Yves Cousteau.

#9 CajunRaven

CajunRaven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,376 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:33 AM

Excuses for what?

Why we need to keep borrowing money to fund something that obviously is doing quite well on its own.

“When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”

Thomas Jefferson

#10 NCBirdfan

NCBirdfan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,674 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:35 AM

Big Bird is an actor and not real? Oh no.:)

...and this distinction is important for the OP's case?
- Mark Twain

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#11 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,583 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:37 AM

Why we need to keep borrowing money to fund something that obviously is doing quite well on its own.

So borrowing trillions to fund defense spending and tax cuts we don't need is not as bad as borrowing millions to fund PBS which actually gives us a decent return on value? This is why I can't vote republican...
"...reality has a well-known liberal bias"

#12 Norman

Norman

Underachiever

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,771 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:43 AM

So borrowing trillions to fund defense spending and tax cuts we don't need is not as bad as borrowing millions to fund PBS which actually gives us a decent return on value? This is why I can't vote republican...

Reminds me of the Lou Dobbs math bit in The Daily Show the other night...

Jon Stewart nails it again-Chop Shop

#13 bullmikey

bullmikey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,891 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:56 AM

Uhhh… National defense is one of those things the federal government was invented to do. Subsidizing a big yellow bird is not. One may quibble about how much is enough (and rightly so, IMHO), but there should be no question where the taxpayer‘s money is supposed to go and where it is not supposed to go. National defense, yes. Bird that looks like big yellow feather duster, no.
“Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.”
__ Robert E. Howard, The Tower of the Elephant

#14 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,583 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:03 AM

Uhhh… National defense is one of those things the federal government was invented to do. Subsidizing a big yellow bird is not. One may quibble about how much is enough (and rightly so, IMHO), but there should be no question where the taxpayer‘s money is supposed to go and where it is not supposed to go. National defense, yes. Bird that looks like big yellow feather duster, no.

Show me where in the Constitution does it say Defense contractors should get a blank check from taxpayers? Explain why Defense spending needs to increase every year.

No one is arguing against Defense spending. I'm just questioning why republicans think it should go up every year no matter the circumstances...
"...reality has a well-known liberal bias"

#15 jonsensback

jonsensback

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,548 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:06 AM

...and this distinction is important for the OP's case?

Yea you got it, that was the point of the article,lol.

#16 NCBirdfan

NCBirdfan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,674 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:29 AM

Yea you got it, that was the point of the article,lol.

Indeed it was. FWIW, I was reading another thread (both on the subject of Big Bird) at the same time and made my quote to the wrong thread starter. My apologies. :)
- Mark Twain

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#17 Bmoreteacher

Bmoreteacher

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,922 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:48 PM

You realize this isn't about the actor or Big Bird, but rather about Romney saying he would defund PBS, right? The whole Big Bird thing came about as a sort of rallying cry against Romney's plan.

#18 Bmoreteacher

Bmoreteacher

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,922 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:49 PM

That explains why he wants Obama to drop his name from the ads!:P

It has nothing to do with the actor. Sesame Street obviously has nothing to gain by getting political, so they refrain from having their "talent" used in any sort of political way.

#19 Calamari

Calamari

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,000 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:55 PM

Man, so many threads on the same topic.
"As Mankind becomes more liberal, they will be more apt to allow that all those who conduct themselves as worthy members of the community are equally entitled to the protections of civil government. I hope ever to see America among the foremost nations of justice and liberality."
~George Washington

Has Obama Taken Away Your Guns Yet?

#20 CajunRaven

CajunRaven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,376 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:02 PM

What the hell are you talking about. Give everyone agency and department a haircut. Across the board.

And tax cuts are not expenditures. And I want tax reform, not cuts or increases. Reform is the only meaningful way to go. The rest is chit.

Democrats will agrue, oh, it's a small program and has benefits, never mind they rake in hundreds of millions.

This is debt by a thousand cuts. Keep adding up all the trivial BS spending across the board in government and shazamm, you're talking about real money that comes from somewhere. That's why I can't vote for a democrat.

Thomas Jefferson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users