7 replies to this topic

#1 Spot72

Spot72

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:12 AM

"Who Gets Food Stamps?

The most recent Department of Agriculture report on the general characteristics of the SNAP program’s beneficiaries says that in the fiscal year that ended Sept. 30, 2010:

47 percent of beneficiaries were children under age 18.
8 percent were age 60 or older.
41 percent lived in a household with earnings from a job — the so-called “working poor.”
The average household received a monthly benefit of $287.
36 percent were white (non-Hispanic), 22 percent were African American (non-Hispanic) and 10 percent were Hispanic (Table A.21).

Update, Feb. 5: USDA data understate these figures, however, because participants are not required to state their race or ethnic background. As a result, 18.9 percent are listed as “race unknown.”) A more accurate estimate of the racial and ethnic composition of food-stamp recipients can be drawn from U.S. Census data, based on a sample of households surveyed each year in the American Community Survey. For 2010, Census data show the following for households that reported getting food stamp assistance during the year:

49 percent were white (non-Hispanic); 26 percent were black or African American; and 20 percent were Hispanic (of any race)."

http://www.factcheck...od-stamp-claim/

#2 SoSad

SoSad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,007 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:39 AM

"Who Gets Food Stamps?

The most recent Department of Agriculture report on the general characteristics of the SNAP program’s beneficiaries says that in the fiscal year that ended Sept. 30, 2010:

41 percent lived in a household with earnings from a job — the so-called “working poor.”
36 percent were white (non-Hispanic), 22 percent were African American (non-Hispanic) and 10 percent were Hispanic (Table A.21).

Update, Feb. 5: USDA data understate these figures, however, because participants are not required to state their race or ethnic background. As a result, 18.9 percent are listed as “race unknown.”) A more accurate estimate of the racial and ethnic composition of food-stamp recipients can be drawn from U.S. Census data, based on a sample of households surveyed each year in the American Community Survey. For 2010, Census data show the following for households that reported getting food stamp assistance during the year:

49 percent were white (non-Hispanic); 26 percent were black or African American; and 20 percent were Hispanic (of any race)."

Who exactly falls under the category of "white"? For example, all Middle Eastern Americans check the "white" box or "other" so it's unclear just who is "white" and who is not.

#3 Up2DaRack

Up2DaRack

Largo al Factotum

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,093 posts
  • LocationRight here! Sheesh!

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:42 AM

"Who Gets Food Stamps?

Ah, gotta love numbers. I have no axe to grind as a moderate (really, I am a moderate!), but I am always suspicious of folks touting numbers in an effort to make a point. Unless they haul out ALL the numbers, which is rarely done.

Look above at the percentages in bold, but then compare it to the demographic make-up of the population. One would assume that all things being equal, the relative proportion of our US population mirrors the above. It does not.

2011 population demographics:

• White non Hispanic - 63.4%
  • Black - 13.1%
  • Hispanic - 16.7%
Source: US Census Bureau

So... it is clear that there is a large disproportion of Blacks (almost twice as likely) and Hispanics (20% more likely) having to take advantage or relief from assistance than do Whites (23% less likely) per capita, if you are segmenting by race. Essentially another set of numbers that seriously mitigates whatever point you might be trying to make. Neither answer WHO really recieves food stamps in a meaningful way, or more importantly, help explain the demographic disparity or why they find themselves in such dire straits to require this assistance, for which I am glad exists as I would never want to see a fellow American citizen going hungry in this day and age.
  • There are two kinds of fools. One says, "This is old, therefore it is good"; the other says, "This is new, therefore it is better." (W.R. Inge)
  • Talent is God-given - be humble. Fame is man-given - be thankful. Conceit is self-given - be careful. (John Wooden)

#4 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,553 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:43 AM

Spot72 appears to be the new race baiter.

#5 musicmd

musicmd

the CAF Red Tail Squadron preserve and share the history and leg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,796 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:48 AM

Who exactly falls under the category of "white"? For example, all Middle Eastern Americans check the "white" box or "other" so it's unclear just who is "white" and who is not.

Talk to the Department of Agriculture.:D
" An educated person is not necessarily a person with an abundance of
general or specialized knowledge.

An educated person is a person who has so developed the faculties of their mind, that they can devleop anything or acquire anything that they want, or its equivalent, without
violating the rights of others"

#6 musicmd

musicmd

the CAF Red Tail Squadron preserve and share the history and leg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,796 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:49 AM

How is he a race baiter ?:confused:
" An educated person is not necessarily a person with an abundance of
general or specialized knowledge.

An educated person is a person who has so developed the faculties of their mind, that they can devleop anything or acquire anything that they want, or its equivalent, without
violating the rights of others"

#7 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,585 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:51 AM

I think this is a response to that other thread about Obama winning because of people who want free stuff. I think I'll sit this one out though. I've seen this movie before and I know how it ends already
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#8 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,553 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:03 AM

I think this is a response to that other thread about Obama winning because of people who want free stuff. I think I'll sit this one out though. I've seen this movie before and I know how it ends already

Could be, just seems to be a general tone to all of the threads that he/she starts.

I think this movie has many sequels.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users