Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Costanza 831

Question about the Defense

8 posts in this topic

I don't possess a great knowledge about the schemes and formations of a defense but i've noticed that we have absolutely zero pass rush, yet the opposing team's receivers and tight ends seem to be consistantly wide open without a defender anywhere within 15 yards of them! how is that possible?? i could understand the lack of defenders in coverage if they were dialing up an all out blitz which they definitely aren't doing. And i could understand the lack of pass rush if they were dropping 8 guys back into coverage which they also clearly aren't doing because nobody is covered. So what gives?? it looks like we have 6 guys on the field half the time

Guys are getting wide open in part because what is left of the defensive backfield has to play off of them at the line of scrimmage. Without any real pass rush, if they jam them at the line of scrimmage, they will end up getting beat downfield for big plays. In order to eliminate the big play, they have to play off. That is going to leave people open underneath. With JJ gone to FA, Suggs suffering a major injury in the offseason, and Ngata hurt, the Ravens have nobody who can break through all but the weakest O-lines out there. The linebackers and secondary have to constantly be on guard against a big play because the opposing QB is going to have a lot of time to let pass plays develop.

I concur with your assessment. JJ is being replaced, admirably by Upshaw, he is only a rookie and will only get better adding skills we need as he gains experience. I think losing Redding has been the biggest problem with Ngata hurt because Cody and Make have not played up to the level needed to replace Redding. Suggs coming back and becoming Suggs again will take time but will ease double teams on Ngata, provide a pass rush and make the job of the other folks including our secondary a bit easier. I am liking what I see of Ellerbe. Bottom line is that we are not going to be last year's defense but as the weeks progress we will be better than the last few weeks defense!

I concur with your assessment. JJ is being replaced, admirably by Upshaw, he is only a rookie and will only get better adding skills we need as he gains experience. I think losing Redding has been the biggest problem with Ngata hurt because Cody and Make have not played up to the level needed to replace Redding. Suggs coming back and becoming Suggs again will take time but will ease double teams on Ngata, provide a pass rush and make the job of the other folks including our secondary a bit easier. I am liking what I see of Ellerbe. Bottom line is that we are not going to be last year's defense but as the weeks progress we will be better than the last few weeks defense!

Agree with this except for the comment on Upshaw. I think he has been a disappointment to this point. Certainly he has not played at the level of JJ.

I hear you balmerbob but the edge has been lots cleaner in the last few weeks and that is due to Upshaw. Now if we can get our front away from blocks we can clog up the middle and be set!