Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GREYHOUND ALUM

The Rematch, Gilman Versus Calvert Hall Part 2!

65 posts in this topic

Well the inevitable has happened, Gilman-CHC for the MIAA title. CHC believes they can beat the star studded Gilman squad. Gilman believes they can just impose their will on CHC and just run their 5 plays and win. To me this game comes down to one thing, and it's intensity. Gilman has came out with ZERO intensity the last 3 games. Looks like some of the kids have been looking towards basketball and indoor track.

It's up to the coaches to make sure the kids know exactly what they are playing for. It's up to kids like Shane Cockerille, Micah Kiser, Miles Norris, Henry Poggi, Wyatt Dickerson, Matt Tilley, Ned Emala, to cement their legacy and close out what has been amazing high school careers. Poggi, Tilley and Dickerson can leave with 3 MIAA titles in four years. CHC will have this me against the world mentality and they believe they can beat them. Gilman fans and Gilman's bench have to do a better job! It's do or die Saturday night.

I'm not making any score prediction because it doesn't matter. This is for all te marbles! So that being said, Gilman wins and continues to be CHC's daddy(as First Down says).

So that being said, Gilman wins and continues to be CHC's daddy(as First Down says).

Lets see what theguru, BigSky, BigCountry ( those darn bigs again! ), '92 and other CHC loyalist have to say. Who's your daddy CHC?

Damn, I'm starting to get into this duds' thing! Go SPALDING!!!! :D

Lets see what theguru, BigSky, BigCountry ( those darn bigs again! ), '92 and other CHC loyalist have to say. Who's your daddy CHC?

Damn, I'm starting to get into this duds' thing! Go SPALDING!!!! :D

They might be already looking towards next year, when the league will be a lot more competitive. The problem is Gilman might be looking towards next year and this game could turn into a classic. Like I said, if Gilman comes out with intensity this game will be over quickly. But the last three games have given me pause to worry a bit.

So the day reckoning is almost here. The CHC faithful is very quiet right now and I'm told because they believe that they are going to run away with this game. They believe McDonogh showed them what to do to win and that they are better than McD. I'm nervous now. I change my prediction. CHC by 14!

CHC is not being quiet because they think they are going to win or lose. I am just hoping it's a good game, and the "kids" play their hearts out and leave it on the field. It's been a long season for all of these young men, alot of dedication, blood, sweat and tearsn. May the best man win with no injuries. Someone has to lose. That's the way it works. Good luck to both teams even though my son plays at CHC. Good luck boys!!!!!! Good luck to all seniors as well who will play their last championship game.

So the day reckoning is almost here. The CHC faithful is very quiet right now and I'm told because they believe that they are going to run away with this game. They believe McDonogh showed them what to do to win and that they are better than McD. I'm nervous now. I change my prediction. CHC by 14!

Gilman by 2-3 TDs and if they're really motivated maybe 4-5 TDs. Gilman is too big up front.....

Gilman by 2-3 TDs and if they're really motivated maybe 4-5 TDs. Gilman is too big up front.....

Well you said the key word, motivated. If Gilman is motivated, they will win easily. But motivation has been a serious issue the last three games. Seems like its been hard for them to get up in the MIAA play. They are very big up front but they are playing without 2 starting OL. One who hasn't played in four weeks(he didn't play in the last CHC game) and one who got hurt last week against McD. They will be starting a freshman OL, who has started a few games this year and is actually their biggest OL.

Like I said before, the seniors need to have these boys ready. What Gilman has missing this year from what I have seen is that emotional leader. I think Micah Kiser can be that and has been in the past but recently I haven't seen it in him. Meaning, I haven't seen that player to get the sidelines up and into the game. You saw this in the early part of the season. There has been a big let down in MIAA play and I think a lot of it comes from the fact that they are just so much more talented than the other teams. But you can't play around with CHC. They are well coached and have enough talent to pull off an upset. And I promise you, the CHC crowd will be up and their sidelines will be more than into the game. Biff will be up, that's for sure.

Gilman needs to come out and score on the first possession and set a tone. The longer CHC is in the game, the more likely they will win. Take their heart early!

CHC is not being quiet because they think they are going to win or lose. I am just hoping it's a good game, and the "kids" play their hearts out and leave it on the field. It's been a long season for all of these young men, alot of dedication, blood, sweat and tearsn. May the best man win with no injuries. Someone has to lose. That's the way it works. Good luck to both teams even though my son plays at CHC. Good luck boys!!!!!! Good luck to all seniors as well who will play their last championship game.

Yes, good luck to both teams. Just want all the boys to come out if the game healthy. We all talk trash on the board but we all want the same thing and that's the kids to play spirited and come out the game in good health.

Yes, good luck to both teams. Just want all the boys to come out if the game healthy. We all talk trash on the board but we all want the same thing and that's the kids to play spirited and come out the game in good health.

can't help but believe the first game was just a dress rehersal. This one is for real and the CHC coaches have been working this game plan since last year.

can't help but believe the first game was just a dress rehersal. This one is for real and the CHC coaches have been working this game plan since last year.

So that's what they were doing! So how much does CHC win by?

I would say the line is Gilman +12 but I like the Hall in a 24-20 upset. However, my money remains safely in my wallet.

As I've said before, if CHC can get the passing game going and spread the ball around while making just enough yards on the ground to keep linebackers honest, things could get very interesting tonight.

I would say the line is Gilman +12 but I like the Hall in a 24-20 upset. However, my money remains safely in my wallet.

As I've said before, if CHC can get the passing game going and spread the ball around while making just enough yards on the ground to keep linebackers honest, things could get very interesting tonight.

I was being dead serious with my post. The pure key to this game is intensity and urgency. And I mean this from all sides, the coaches, players, student body and the fans. I couldn't believe my eyes last weekend when I saw how much louder the McDonogh fans were than the Gilman fans. It was like the Gilman fans were at a funeral.

I will say it again, if Gilman comes out like they have the last three weeks, they could very well lose this game. I'm looking for the nastiness of Gilman squads of old. Players who just hate the Hall and want to crush them. Not players looking toward indoor track and basketball. Shane needs to pump them up. He's a super nice kid but he's the toughest guy in that squad by a mile and he needs to make the rest of that team follow his mentality.

I'm going to be quite honest, this game makes me nervous. I will know even before the game starts whether or not Gilman will win the game.

I was being dead serious with my post. The pure key to this game is intensity and urgency. And I mean this from all sides, the coaches, players, student body and the fans. I couldn't believe my eyes last weekend when I saw how much louder the McDonogh fans were than the Gilman fans. It was like the Gilman fans were at a funeral.

I will say it again, if Gilman comes out like they have the last three weeks, they could very well lose this game. I'm looking for the nastiness of Gilman squads of old. Players who just hate the Hall and want to crush them. Not players looking toward indoor track and basketball. Shane needs to pump them up. He's a super nice kid but he's the toughest guy in that squad by a mile and he needs to make the rest of that team follow his mentality.

I'm going to be quite honest, this game makes me nervous. I will know even before the game starts whether or not Gilman will win the game.

Oil Can did you hack into GH's system?

This game is a real wild card. Anything could happen imo. Gilman could run away with it or CHC could give them a real surprise. Either way it's been a great season for CHC as long as they cap it off with a win against Loyola. Hopefully the 3rd saturday in November is becoming a tradition for Gilman/CHC.

Yeah Hall!

So that's what they were doing! So how much does CHC win by?

After watching the first game believe it or not Calvert Hall can win by playing more conservative. They played the first game like they had to hit the homerun every time they had the ball and it cost them big time. They can have long drives by mixing up the short passes with some draw plays thrown in. Going for it on 4th down in the 3rd qtr last game was a big mistake. They need to play the field position game against Gilman and force them to drive the length of the field. A punt right there would have been a better move. Another mistake was that bomb on 1st down that got picked off late in the 2nd qtr that gave Gilman the momentum back. CH has got to be more conservative than that this time.

After watching the first game believe it or not Calvert Hall can win by playing more conservative. They played the first game like they had to hit the homerun every time they had the ball and it cost them big time. They can have long drives by mixing up the short passes with some draw plays thrown in. Going for it on 4th down in the 3rd qtr last game was a big mistake. They need to play the field position game against Gilman and force them to drive the length of the field. A punt right there would have been a better move. Another mistake was that bomb on 1st down that got picked off late in the 2nd qtr that gave Gilman the momentum back. CH has got to be more conservative than that this time.

I agree with you about playing the field position but disagree with you about playing conservative. I think they have no chance of they play conservative. They will not be able to run against Gilman, just won't happen. And the drop off passes won't work either, Gilman has too much speed. McDonogh tried to do this last week and it didn't work at all. Although CHC has a better QB than McDonogh, McDonogh has better overall skill players and a better line than CHC. They ended up having 69 total yards all game. You have to play to win against Gilman because their offense will do just enough to win the game.

Intensity is the key word for this game. Gilman comes out intense, this game will be over from the beginning.

Why does everything out of a Gilman coach's mouth sound like something from NAMBLA or Jerry Sandusky?

This is about love...we love each other...creepy and weird.

You would think those ped/Brothers at Calvert Hall would be saying crap like that. :D

The Gilman Greyhounds won 35-7 tonight. CHC needs to get bigger on the lines. However, that is easier said than done. I hope the Cardinals put up at least 35 on Loyola. Congrats to Gilman.

Size isn't CHC's issue. Gilman wasn't that much bigger than them. SKILL was the issue! Like I said if Gilman is engaged, no team can beat them. Same thing will happen next year.

Congrats to the seniors. Special congrats to Shane Cockerille, he put that team on his back and lead like I knew he would.

Can we please now STOP comparing CHC to Gilman? There is NO COMPARISON! You won your two games, it's NOT A RIVALRY!

Now that the dust has cleared, I thought I would give my two cents of this game. To make a long story short, talent talent talent. Gilman was and is just head and shoulders better than any team in the MIAA. The biggest issue with them was trying to keep them motivated. That defense was the best defense I have ever seen in the state of Maryland. Front 7, one of the best in the country. In all honesty, all 7 of them should be first team All Metro.

Who gets defensive POY? Is it Poggi? Is it Kiser? A case can be made for Norris. I personally believe that Matt Tilley could be DPOY. I think he ended the year with 9 or 10 INTS g safety and multiple defensive TD's. Shane Cockerille should be the offensive POY, just because he was a basic one man army on the most dominant team in the area and right now the best team in the state.

CHC had a very good season. They are very talented. But I told you all that there was a huge gap in between these two teams this year. I personally believe that at the end of the year without question McDonogh was the second best team in the area. Gilman like I have said is a top 50 or better team in the country this year. To my good friend AACounty who believes that Moeller isn't on the top 15 in Ohio, look at the Ohio playoffs right now. Moeller just beat the #1 team in the state in Colerain and is now in the Final Four for the State Championship. I believe they will win it all and Ohio is the #1 state this year. Bosco looks like they could very well win out in a very good year for NJ football. All in all, just a great year for Gilman football. To JMT, please kill that crap that if GC loses that any public school team will be ranked #1 on the State! That's just pure f'ing hating on your part! No team not Named Good Counsel has Gilman's resume!

As far as next year goes, Gilman will come back to the pack. They wil be very very good but they will have some question marks. Number one question that needs to be answered, will they change the offense? They will be stacked at the skill positions with speed to burn. Will Locksley QB? Personally I believe the kids future is at WR. He's a supreme athlete and Gilman has English and Hill at QB. It will be impossible to replace Kiser, Poggi, Dickerson and Norris. They will be HURTING at LB. but I hear help will be on the way. If Dom is committed to an off season program. McDonogh will be scary. Calvert Hall will be scary. It's going to be a great season next year! But today, I'm a DeMatha Stags fan!

Size isn't CHC's issue. Gilman wasn't that much bigger than them. SKILL was the issue! Like I said if Gilman is engaged, no team can beat them. Same thing will happen next year.

Congrats to the seniors. Special congrats to Shane Cockerille, he put that team on his back and lead like I knew he would.

Can we please now STOP comparing CHC to Gilman? There is NO COMPARISON! You won your two games, it's NOT A RIVALRY!

And your response Calvert Hall?

But first please tell me, who's your daddy?

Just askin'

:D

Damn, I think I just made some more enemies... Oh well, I never cared about it before so why change now. And to think I always thought"..size mattered..." Now GA 4-1-1 me that it's NOT all about size. He must be one of those little men with skills.

Anyway GA, you Da Man! You said it would be just like what has come to pass. You said Gilman would lose 1 or 2 or more games at the beginning of the season and then go into league play and dominate to win what Oil Can called The Hoakier Title. You were bullseye on your assessment. You are the REAL theguru.

Just sayin'

And your response Calvert Hall?

But first please tell me, who's your daddy?

Just askin'

:D

Damn, I think I just made some more enemies... Oh well, I never cared about it before so why change now. And to think I always thought"..size mattered..." Now GA 4-1-1 me that it's NOT all about size. He must be one of those little men with skills.

Anyway GA, you Da Man! You said it would be just like what has come to pass. You said Gilman would lose 1 or 2 or more games at the beginning of the season and then go into league play and dominate to win what Oil Can called The Hoakier Title. You were bullseye on your assessment. You are the REAL theguru.

Just sayin'

Thanks for the props my friend. I was just doing my best trying to give an honest assessment of what I saw this season. I can't take much credit on this one though, I think if anyone was being truthful to themselves they would have have predicted the same thing. I was a little off though earlier, I said Gilman by 21 but they won by 28, hahahahaha!!!

Now on to the publics! I'm looking forward to seeing the final two weeks of the season.

On another note, did everybody see what my boy Tavon did yesterday? WOW!!

congrats to Gilman. I disagree whole heartedly with GA. Size was definitely the difference. anyone could see that. CH was getting knocked off the ball all night. Calvert Hall would greatly benefit by having a real streangth and conditioning coach. Someone to work with the players year round. Hopfully Kunhns continues to progress. We are talking about a HS QB but his field vision needs to improve. He can't continue to lock onto one reciever. Again, we're talking about a HS qb and that is a learned skill. No doubt the interception thown to a draped receiver at the end of the 2nd Qtr. was huge. The score went from 7-0 at halftime to 14-0. But honestly, in the grand scheme it would not have made a difference last night.

Will Shane play QB in college? MD doesn't run the wildcat.

CH helped Gilman by playing its 44 and never changed. It seems that they are wedded to play what the Pros play --pass first-which is the basis for the 44. All night long,Gilman would get 5 yards,8 yards, 17 yards on runs and never did they changeup to a 6 man front to stuff the line. It is easy for a running QB to find a hole when only 4 men rush and LBs are already at 5 yards deep from the LOS. The offensive linemen need only take the D Line whichever direction they want to go and let the QB find a seam. When 6 linemen are cramping pressure across the front,that makes it more difficult for a running game. And when the offensive linemen are 30 lbs bigger per man than the DL, then those 4 LBs are trying to meet a freight train coming at them. For example, take a race horse in a starting gate against a high school track runner. When the gate opens, the track kid can beat the race horse in a 10 yard sprint (already been tested). The bigger force takes time to build and once is underway will overpower smaller objects. Thus, if CH had played a 6 man front most of the game,the bigger OL would not get such an easy mark on the LBs. When you play a team that has already beaten you, as the expression goes --"You can't keep doing the same thing the same way and expect different results." So, Loyola's best chance is to keep using that QB draw which they have done all year for good yards. If CH refuses to come out of their 44,then they make it easy for QB draw or counter which has been their bread and butter. The problem, though, is that everytime you make your QB a mainstay of your offense, he will eventually end up injured like Jake Clise 2 weeks ago. What bothers me more about CH is their lack of discipline. Every game seems to have personal fouls. 2 last night and one ejection. That makes 2 players ejected in 2 years (1 in last year's Turkey Bowl). The first personal foul last night nullified a great punt return. The 2nd one put Gilman in the red zone. These kids gotta stop watching Ray Lewis with his jaw dropping scream and players who beat their chests so that the fans know who it was that made the tackle.