Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mcorioles

Bob Melvin Wins AL Manager of the Year

23 posts in this topic

Oh well guess it could have went either way but with the turn around the O's had this year I thought Buck should have gotten the nod.

I thought the 29 and 9 and 16 and 2 might put him over the top.

Oh, well.

I watched a lot of A's games this past season and they were fun to watch, like the O's.

What do you want to bet that it's because the writers just thought the Orioles were lucky?

I was thinking the O's haven't been as relevant as the A's and that would tip it in Buck's favor. i mean they literally went from the basement to the top. The A's are usually in the hunt over the last several years.

I was thinking the O's haven't been as relevant as the A's and that would tip it in Buck's favor. i mean they literally went from the basement to the top. The A's are usually in the hunt over the last several years.

I think they had a ridiculously low payroll that made Angelos look like a big spender.

What do you want to bet that it's because the writers just thought the Orioles were lucky?

That's my guess

Thomas Jefferson once said "I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."

I agree. Fourteen straight years without sniffing the playoffs should have counted for something. The A's have had the same GM since the late 90's, and have generally had a much better farm system than the Orioles. Showalters handling of the pitching staff, bringing up Machado, moving Reynolds to 1st base all should have given him the edge. The Orioles started the season as one of the worst defensive teams in baseball and finished as one of the better ones. I would have given it to Buck. Pushed all the right buttons to get more than he should have out of the team.

my perspective has been to consider the context. which team was facing a tougher division? IMO, it was the O's.

Boston was a non-factor, and Tor was hurting, but didn't lay down for anyone. NY & TB were tough.

the ALw had Seattle, Ana & Tx. Seattle= 16 gimme wins for Oak. Ana was a dog this year. there was talk that Scioscia would be fired because they sucked so badly. and Tx tanked down the stretch. the ALw handed the division to Melvin, on a silver platter.

Buck faced the tougher division and the bigger challenge.

Sounds like a bunch of haters on here!! LOL:D

Look Bucky Boy did a great job this past season, although with a lot of “Luck”, and he was deserving but Melvin’s team actually won their division while the O’s were a Wild Card team, not exactly the same. That division was supposed to be between Texas and LA, Oakland was not even a thought.B)

Look Bucky Boy did a great job this past season, although with a lot of “Luck”, and he was deserving but Melvin’s team actually won their division while the O’s were a Wild Card team, not exactly the same. That division was supposed to be between Texas and LA, Oakland was not even a thought.B)

Blah blah blah.

That division was supposed to be between Texas and LA, Oakland was not even a thought.
The AL East was supposed to be between the Yankees, Rays, and Red Sox. The Orioles were not even a thought.

it's funny that the yankee fan is actually down playing the yankees being a good team, so that he can take his usual jabs at anything O's.

trolls will be trolls :D

Apparently we aren't reading the same thread.

No one on here is knocking the selection - even if they are Buck partisans. Both managers earned the award, but there is only one manager of the year.

I would have thought that it was a done deal For Showalter with Melvin a close second but maybe a better result would have been a tie, and that has happened before. No way did Buck deserve second place.

I have no problem with Melvin winning it. He and Showalter both deserved it, but in the end, they had only one winner. It's like the MVP...whether Trout or Cabrera wins, you really can't argue it (except that I'm in the Cabrera camp).

Being the macho person that I am, I'm a bit upset that someone with a pansy name like Melvin could beat up on our Buck. The voters for this award must all be wimps.

Passing over the O's Buck is almost as bad (but not quite) as the O's passing over the macho Impaler.

it's funny that the yankee fan is actually down playing the yankees being a good team, so that he can take his usual jabs at anything O's.

trolls will be trolls :D

Not downplaying anything at all, the fact is the A’s WON their division while the O’s, with a very good and surprising season, fished as a wild card. If The O’s and Bucky Boy had actually WON the division then I would agree that Bucky Boy should have, and probably would have, won the award. Winning the division has to carry some weight when 2 teams are so very close in everything else.B)

Late to the party, however, a shock here (Tampa Bay) that Buck did not win. Toughest division in MLB.

Buck got F'ed.

No other manager took a AAAA team to the playoffs.