Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dandrews

Jeffry Loria destroys the Marlins

34 posts in this topic

Every player that was getting paid is headed to Toronto. They're getting a few nice players but nothing all that spectacular.

He finally dupes the city into using taxpayer money to pay for a stadium, spends 200 million in players in one offseason, and then wipes out the entire team. While his team has a $16 mil payroll, he is rolling in profits.

What is the point of having a commissioner if he won't prevent guys like this from becoming an owner? This guy makes Peter Angelos look like the Rooney family.

For those keeping track, I believe it's now Bell, Reyes and Buerhle (all signed last off season) as well as Ramirez and Johnson who have now been traded away since the middle of the season.

I wonder why they can't develop a fan base? :rolleyes:

And to think the bidding for the Orioles came down to Angelos and this guy.

Lose/Lose.

Bowie Kuhn would have blocked this trade before it ever made the news.

Lose/Lose.

Bowie Kuhn would have blocked this trade before it ever made the news.

If the rest of the MLB ownership lets this go without raising a fuss, I might be shocked.........

Exactly why I have such a hard time with professional sports right now.

The owners are opportunistic scumbags, and a lot of the players fall in the same boat, and expect to be treated like royalty.

Well the guy just got an additional 25 million from tv revenue. He doesn't need anyone to attend games. Especially with revenue sharing. The stadium can sit empty for all he cares as he gets paid.

I guess he is a good business man but a terrible person. Cities shouldn't buy stadiums for owners of sport franchises. They make tons of cash and american cities do not have any money.

Lose/Lose.

Loria brought a WS trophy to S. Florida

Loria > Angelos

We can't know for sure, but I've always thought Loria would have run the O's differently. and by that I mean, that he would have spent money and fielded a competetive team throughout the last 14 seasons.

I'm convinced the only reason he broke up the 2003 WS team and 2012 team is because no one came out to fill the seats. that tells an owner that you're making decisions for yourself, and yourself alone. because no one outside the organization cares. so why not look after your wallet first. aside from the pride that comes from owning a championship team, some extra gate receipts, and a few extra jerseys and hats being sold, what incentive is there for an owner to win if the fans don't care?

I say there's none.

Baltimore would have continued to pack OPACY if the team didn't take a 14 yr break from playing MLB. that would be a big X factor that Miami doesn't have, and will never have. they don't care about baseball in Florida. Tampa has been a consistently good team for years, and no one shows up for their games. you don't buy a ticket for a seat at the Trop. you buy a ticket for your own section.

the Marlins fans (and that term needs some seriously expanded parameters to include the people of Miami) brought this on themselves. don't cry for them, they don't care. it's almost noon the next day. I bet more people in Baltimore know about, and have an opinion about this trade, than the city of Miami.

Loria > Angelos

We can't know for sure, but I've always thought Loria would have run the O's differently. and by that I mean, that he would have spent money and fielded a competetive team throughout the last 14 seasons.

I'm convinced the only reason he broke up the 2003 WS team and 2012 team is because no one came out to fill the seats. that tells an owner that you're making decisions for yourself, and yourself alone. because no one outside the organization cares. so why not look after your wallet first. aside from the pride that comes from owning a championship team, some extra gate receipts, and a few extra jerseys and hats being sold, what incentive is there for an owner to win if the fans don't care?

I say there's none.

Baltimore would have continued to pack OPACY if the team didn't take a 14 yr break from playing MLB. that would be a big X factor that Miami doesn't have, and will never have. they don't care about baseball in Florida. Tampa has been a consistently good team for years, and no one shows up for their games. you don't buy a ticket for a seat at the Trop. you buy a ticket for your own section.

the Marlins fans (and that term needs some seriously expanded parameters to include the people of Miami) brought this on themselves. don't cry for them, they don't care. it's almost noon the next day. I bet more people in Baltimore know about, and have an opinion about this trade, than the city of Miami.

I agree and disagree. Florida in general is a terrible baseball market and the Marlins have a reputation for trading away talent. So they build a new stadium and spend a ton on free agents. Did the owner think that suddenly the ballpark would now be packed every night? As with the Orioles, bringing back a fanbase that left isn't an overnight thing.

So now, after one disappointing season of wins and attendance, the Marlins get rid of all the big signings from last year and a few of their other big names. This is the easiest way to ensure the fans never come back. And if they decide to try to compete, will players want to go there?

I agree and disagree. Florida in general is a terrible baseball market and the Marlins have a reputation for trading away talent. So they build a new stadium and spend a ton on free agents. Did the owner think that suddenly the ballpark would now be packed every night? As with the Orioles, bringing back a fanbase that left isn't an overnight thing.

So now, after one disappointing season of wins and attendance, the Marlins get rid of all the big signings from last year and a few of their other big names. This is the easiest way to ensure the fans never come back. And if they decide to try to compete, will players want to go there?

a new ballpark alone is enough to spike attendance in pretty much every city. this one was specially designed to cater to the Cuban-Latino fanbase, both in style and location. add all the big name FAs they added last winter, that stadium should have been full, if not packed.

even if you have your doubts that the team will stay together for many years, they're here now.

thre just isn't any excuse for it. it's like Atlanta and the Braves. for years they won the division and went to the WS, and the fans didn't show up to support the team.

this par for the course under the current commissioner....guys like Loria, Glass, and Angelo$er don't care about winning, just turning a healthy profit, fans be damned...

The Blue Jays got just go a whole lot better and that's not good news for the O's....

all about the mighty dollar with Loria and his group ...smh...He doesn't give *****s about all that money the tax payers put up. I'd be pissed. In NO way I would renew my season ticket plan.

boycott em

Can MLB step in ?

If there was ever a team that needs to be sold and moved it's the Miami Marlins

absolutely pathetic

The Oakland A's came in first place last year. The Big spending Angels came in 3rd. We shall see how good the Marlins and Blue Jays are. They have to play the games still...

Forgive me if I have this recollection wrong, but hasn't this guy torn the team down before in a massive salary dump, only to win the World Series within a very few years? He may not have been owner at the time, but I'm sure it was the Marlins (they were champs in 97 and 03, but I don't recall when they were torn down). Anyway, I know it looks ugly, but maybe it works out. I sure don't appreciate the Blue Jays being the beneficiaries.

Toronto just got much better which makes my O's prediction of 84-78 and miss the playoffs in 2013 an absolute lock. It's especially amazing that the brilliant prediction was made before Santa Claus visited Toronto.

Forgive me if I have this recollection wrong, but hasn't this guy torn the team down before in a massive salary dump, only to win the World Series within a very few years? He may not have been owner at the time, but I'm sure it was the Marlins (they were champs in 97 and 03, but I don't recall when they were torn down). Anyway, I know it looks ugly, but maybe it works out. I sure don't appreciate the Blue Jays being the beneficiaries.

Loria bought the Marlins in '02, they won the series in '03 and then he had a fire sale. They have wallowed in mediocrity since then.

Toronto just got much better which makes my O's prediction of 84-78 and miss the playoffs in 2013 an absolute lock. It's especially amazing that the brilliant prediction was made before Santa Claus visited Toronto.

Do you sir, own a flux capacitor?

Loria > Angelos

I say there's none.

Loria got the team in 2002, they won in 2003. He can't take all the credit for that team.

Yeah the oroles are absolute lock to finish 84-78. What nonsense. I would be willing to be large sums of money that their record in 2012 is not 84-78.

Anyway to bad this Loria guy doesn't own the yankees.

The contracts were all back loaded. he got them all last year for half of what they will make next season. baseball needs to squash this deal now.

this par for the course under the current commissioner....guys like Loria, Glass, and Angelo$er don't care about winning, just turning a healthy profit, fans be damned...

The Blue Jays got just go a whole lot better and that's not good news for the O's....

It definitely ups the ante, doesn't it?

The Casilla pick up looks kinda cheesy now ...

I read all the comments about how this is unfair to the city and unfair to the fans and bad for baseball and a more imaginative slant comes to mind.

In many ways, this is good for baseball because it sends a message to overpaid and underperforming players. Cleaning house to such an extreme essentially points the finger of blame at the players traded and surely doesn't make them happy. It's the ultimate example of high expectations or else and I support it for the good of the game. I wish more teams would do it.

Also, examples abound where teams with less accomplished players come from no-where and make the playoffs with the O's, Nats and A's being three examples from 2012. I fully expect the 2013 no-name Marlins to win more games than the 2012 big-name Marlins.

It's also likely that the 2013 Blue Jays will be much improved as the Marlins rejects recapture their pride just as the Red Sox rejects will almost certainly lift the 2013 Dodgers for the same reason.

I read all the comments about how this is unfair to the city and unfair to the fans and bad for baseball and a more imaginative slant comes to mind.

In many ways, this is good for baseball because it sends a message to overpaid and underperforming players. Cleaning house to such an extreme essentially points the finger of blame at the players traded and surely doesn't make them happy. It's the ultimate example of high expectations or else and I support it for the good of the game. I wish more teams would do it.

Also, examples abound where teams with less accomplished players come from no-where and make the playoffs with the O's, Nats and A's being three examples from 2012. I fully expect the 2013 no-name Marlins to win more games than the 2012 big-name Marlins.

It's also likely that the 2013 Blue Jays will be much improved as the Marlins rejects recapture their pride just as the Red Sox rejects will almost certainly lift the 2013 Dodgers for the same reason.

I guess you won't be praising the Marlins this offseason like last year? :D

I've been listening to the talking heads discuss this trade, and my biggest curiousity is how this will affect the ALe (obviously I'm thinking about it fro the O's perspective).

several people have asked, does this trade make the Blue Jays now a contender in the ALe. no one has said yes. all the analysts just talk around the question. I'm getting the impression that this makes them better, but not enough to be a challenger for the post season.

of course, we're talking about this trade alone and this point in the off season, not "what could be" or future moves taht could be made.