Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jeebus

Roethlisberger rib injury a 'greater concern' than shoulder, could 'kill him'

75 posts in this topic

Ben Roethlisberger's shoulder injury is a big concern and it will keep him from starting on Sunday when the Steelers play the Ravens. But it's not nearly as big a concern as the rare rib injury he also suffered Monday, which could apparently kill him.

Yes, kill him. Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported on Wednesday that Ben's injury is what will keep him out because it presents a danger of "pressing into his aorta" and ending his life.

This is not a normal rib injury, and it explains a couple things: one, why we heard words like "unusual" and "rare" when people described Roethlisberger's injury, and two, why he got the hell out of the stadium to see a doctor on Monday night. Smart move.

The injury is so rare, in fact, that doctors apparently told Roethlisberger they hadn't seen it since a rugby player dealt with the injury in 1989.

I feel so bad for Ben, especially since he's going to be a Daddy soon. He really needs to just rest up for the next 3 weeks or so and make sure he's healthy before he even thinks about picking up a football again. Health is #1!!

Even though he is a pain in our sides (no pun intended), he is a tough sob and one he!! of a competitor. I wish him a speedy and full recovery.

He is a serial rapist who in the past has shown extremely poor judgement and no common sense.

That being said, he should take this injury seriously, his second chance at life is more important than spending Sunday night flat on his back sniffing Suggs' jockstrap.....

Even though he is a pain in our sides (no pun intended), he is a tough sob and one he!! of a competitor. I wish him a speedy and full recovery.

I agree, and would rather the Ravens play--- and beat-- the Steelers when they are at their best.

Classy thread. Not surprised.
Ravens fans at their classiest best. At least baltimoreron and saticon3 posted legit responses.

Ravens fans at their classiest best. At least baltimoreron and saticon3 posted legit responses.

True. I get the idea that fans feel they have to hate their opponents since it is so common.

I have a view that these young men perform a dangerous job for our entertainment and they are essentially the same guys.

They move around to different teams sometimes and are loved or hated by different groups.

Ben will be ok and has the money to make it in life but I feel for a lot of them who have such brief careers and often leave injured and are broke in a few years with no real prospects for a real career.

True. I get the idea that fans feel they have to hate their opponents since it is so common.

I have a view that these young men perform a dangerous job for our entertainment and they are essentially the same guys.

They move around to different teams sometimes and are loved or hated by different groups.

Ben will be ok and has the money to make it in life but I feel for a lot of them who have such brief careers and often leave injured and are broke in a few years with no real prospects for a real career.

Even if they are only in the league for a year or two, they make more than enough money in that time to go back to school anywhere they want and pursue what they like. I'm not going to cry for someone who makes many times what most people in the country will make every year. As for the injuries, of course that's a problem and something that isn't to be celebrated, but they know the risks when they decide to go into the NFL, especially now when there's so much attention paid to concussions and player safety.

The players that are broke when they leave are primarily those who lived outside their means. I'm sorry it happened (and will continue to happen) to them, but when they are blowing money left and right because they think it'll last forever they have nobody to blame but themselves.

Billions, not millions, of people in the world would kill for the opportunities these men have. What they make of it is entirely on them. Either way, they don't need sympathy.

Even if they are only in the league for a year or two, they make more than enough money in that time to go back to school anywhere they want and pursue what they like. I'm not going to cry for someone who makes many times what most people in the country will make every year. As for the injuries, of course that's a problem and something that isn't to be celebrated, but they know the risks when they decide to go into the NFL, especially now when there's so much attention paid to concussions and player safety.

The players that are broke when they leave are primarily those who lived outside their means. I'm sorry it happened (and will continue to happen) to them, but when they are blowing money left and right because they think it'll last forever they have nobody to blame but themselves.

Billions, not millions, of people in the world would kill for the opportunities these men have. What they make of it is entirely on them. Either way, they don't need sympathy.

Sure they have the opportunity but the NFL "baller" culture stacks the deck agains those without a solid life base.

Watching someone like Dez Bryant charging 100K for jewelry and picking up 50K dinner tabs is sickening.

Sure they have the opportunity but the NFL "baller" culture stacks the deck agains those without a solid life base.

Watching someone like Dez Bryant charging 100K for jewelry and picking up 50K dinner tabs is sickening.

Sure, but why should I feel bad for him?

If anything, I'll feel bad for the fact that he was raised in a bad environment and doesn't have an ounce of life sense, but there are millions of people like that who DON'T have the opportunity to make millions a year.

They deserve far more sympathy.

Sure, but why should I feel bad for him?

If anything, I'll feel bad for the fact that he was raised in a bad environment and doesn't have an ounce of life sense, but there are millions of people like that who DON'T have the opportunity to make millions a year.

They deserve far more sympathy.

Both scenarios are sad.

I so agree Classy colts fan. These ignorant Baltimore fans have zero pity for a brave warrior that played through pain, game after game, of cramming a size 23 head into a size 10 helmet all these years. Damn, I thought his nose was going explode from the pressure.

Poor guy just had all the raping cleared off his schedule for weeks. NFL players really have it awful.

I kid (mostly). Hope he gets better.

Was you raised by crackheads?:confused:

I know Ben has had his share of 'indiscretions', but it looks like he has turned himself around somewhat, what with being married and a kid on the way, and he was having a good season. I wish Ben 'the football player' a speedy and full recovery.

I don't wish a player injury or gloat about one regardless of how I feel about the team. It's called sportsmanship.

Ben was never charged with anything, keep that in mind. The first story seemed to fall apart thanks to information from a friend of the accuser. The second one might have been messier, but the accuser never chose to pursue it further (for her own reasons which may or may not be worth discussion) so regardless of what we might read in to it... at the end there was basically no real story.

My big gut feeling here is that Ben probably didn't do anything illegal, but probably WAS a complete and royal rear-hole for a long time in the way he carried himself and treated other people. Maybe the second incident never becomes anything if the first person hadn't put a story out there. He probably had a bit of a God complex going on, having been worshipped by those around him through high school and college, had great success early in the pros, and likely never suffered consequences for the stupid / unethical things he did.

Hopefully the lack of bad stories about him off the field since then, the marriage, the pending fatherhood, etc... are all signs that he's "grown up" and become a better person. Maybe somebody / something finally got through to him and he realized that he needed to improve himself. Maybe later in life than MOST people do, but it can happen.