Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dc369

Ed Reed Suspended

52 posts in this topic

Text from Baltimore Sun: The NFL announces Ravens safety Ed Reed will be suspended for one game for repeated violations of player safety.

What the hell does that mean?

it means he's accumulated enough personal fouls for leading withn his helmet. Last night's penalty was a bad call....Reed was going to hit Wallace in his midsection but when Sanders ducked, Reed hit him the head...the need for safety has to be balanced with what is intentional versus accidental....

I would guess it has to do with the "Hemmet to Hemmet" penalty from last night. He is up to like 3 or 4 for the year.

He can appeal and continue to play until his hearing--I think.

The No Fun League has lost its mind. I'm in favor of trying improve safety and guard against concussions, but a little common sense has to be used. How in the world is a DB supposed to play? It's absurd. They're ruining football.

I would guess it has to do with the "Hemmet to Hemmet" penalty from last night. He is up to like 3 or 4 for the year.

He can appeal and continue to play until his hearing--I think.

Uh, no. Try three in three YEARS.

Just take the week off, Ed. Be healthy for the Steelers.

it means he's accumulated enough personal fouls for leading withn his helmet. Last night's penalty was a bad call....Reed was going to hit Wallace in his midsection but when Sanders ducked, Reed hit him the head...the need for safety has to be balanced with what is intentional versus accidental....

You are absolutely correct, that's really what happened. I am surprised the NFL headquarters did not see that in the film review.

Uh, no. Try three in three YEARS.

Just take the week off, Ed. Be healthy for the Steelers.

Taking the week off, will cost him over $400K. This suspension is a bunch of you know what. Sanders caught the ball, turned around after taking 2 steps and gets hit. At what point is a player not defenseless, after 10 steps. Not to mention Pitta being hit helmet to helmet by 2 players with no call.

Reed has accumulated three of those infractions this year, so the league is imposing a suspension the same way it did to James Harrison. It does not matter how the helmet to helmet occured, simply that it did. Reed's shot on Sanders did look like direct helmet to helmet contact that could have been avoided. Reed has never been a helmet to helmet guy in the past, I wonder if he isn't instinctively protecting his shoulder in these situations and leading with the head to avoid taking a shot in the shoulder. I still think the whole helmet to helmet thing is BS. The league is making it harder and harder to play any kind of defense. Sometimes, helmet to helmet is unavoidable. The only time it should be a penalty/fine, is when it is obvious that the defender is leading, or launching with his helmet. This puts the Ravens in a bit of a jam. Even though Reed is nowhere near what he was before, he is still someone opposing teams have to gameplan for, and is still the best of a poor covering secondary. He either misses the game in San Diego leaving the secondary exposed against a SD team that is inconsistent, but can torch a team, or he misses the Pittsburgh game. I would almost appeal as late as possible if I were Reed and hope to play this week and not against Pittsburgh. Unless Roethlisberger is back, Pittsburgh can't keep up with the Ravens offense at home. They could win that game without Reed. They are much more likely to need him on the road where the offense generally disappears.

Reed has been basically useless this year with his poor coverage and "dancing with the stars" tackling techniques. Having him gone for a game means nothing. It will be refreshing to see someone else in there who can actually bring someone to the ground. Next man up and he can't be any worse.

1. The rules are the rules, whether anyone agrees with them or likes them -- them's the rules.

2. Ed broke the rules, now he's gonna pay.

3. No real loss; in fact, it's a plus -- he should have been IR'd weeks ago. He's hurting the team with his lousy play. It's really a shame the suspension wasn't longer; it would have helped the Ravens the way Ray Lewis being out is helping the LB corps to kick into a higher gear.

1. The rules are the rules, whether anyone agrees with them or likes them -- them's the rules.

2. Ed broke the rules, now he's gonna pay.

3. No real loss; in fact, it's a plus -- he should have been IR'd weeks ago. He's hurting the team with his lousy play. It's really a shame the suspension wasn't longer; it would have helped the Ravens the way Ray Lewis being out is helping the LB corps to kick into a higher gear.

Couldn't agree with you more. Unfortunately, as soon as he's back from his suspension, he'll be back out on the field because Harbaugh would never bench him no matter how much he's embarrassed himself. Him and Ray Lewis are untouchables who decide whether or not they'll play.

Can't agree with ya on this one. Watch the video:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000097817/Ed-Reed-penalized-for-unnecessary-roughness

All Sanders did was turn slightly after he made the catch and Reed was already off his feet and leading with his helmet. Sanders in no way "ducked".

Couldn't agree with you more. Unfortunately, as soon as he's back from his suspension, he'll be back out on the field because Harbaugh would never bench him no matter how much he's embarrassed himself. Him and Ray Lewis are untouchables who decide whether or not they'll play.
Word.

It looked to me that Reed could see the play developing and could have just as easily lowered his head and lead with his (good) shoulder. I realize for players safety the sport is evolving into a much different game than many of us grew up with. Until the rules change the players will have to adapt and comply. With all of the play review going on it seems the unintentional hits could be over-ruled.

What's annoying is that Reed obviously wasn't intentionally "leading with the helmet"... he dove in to make a tackle, and there was minimal incidental contact that had as much to do with the WR as it did with the Safety. Yet almost every time a RB carries the ball he lowers his head and gives / takes some helmet to helmet contact, and nobody seems to care. There are probably 20 plays a game where a WR is tackled and the defenders helmet hits the WR's helmet... but they call it sporadically just to prove a point. Why not penalize a ball carrier (WR or RB) for ducking his head down when preparing for contact? How is that different?

It's a shame what the league is becoming. Said it before and it continues to unfold... the league offices invite more violent collisions by molding the rules to allow receivers to sprint around untouched... then they slap defenders for simply doing their jobs. Allow more contact at the line, allow more jamming, slow the guys down, teach QBs that they shouldn't be leading their streaking targets in to double and triple coverage without risk. Make WRs line up on the LOS, allow a DB to jam inside the numbers for 10 yards. And for the love of Christ, soften the helmets. All the latest modifications that supposedly prevent more concussions are coming with experimental helmets that feature softer outer layers. Absorbing shock typically works better when it's actually absorbed and dispersed. The league has done all of this to themselves, just to placate what a bunch of advertising weenies who never played a day of any sport whatsoever thinks appeals more to the viewing public. And ignoring that the sport exploded in popularity in a very different fashion.

does banging helmets 3 times in three years really constitute a habitual offender :rolleyes: .......

Can't agree with ya on this one. Watch the video:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000097817/Ed-Reed-penalized-for-unnecessary-roughness

All Sanders did was turn slightly after he made the catch and Reed was already off his feet and leading with his helmet. Sanders in no way "ducked".

Most of these hits are that way. He has to appeal as this will cost him 440,000 AFTER TAX dollars. It's a big deal.

You are absolutely correct, that's really what happened. I am surprised the NFL headquarters did not see that in the film review.

I'm not....the league is mired in several lawsuits regarding head injuries....this shows the world they are cracking down on the problem (wink, wink, nudge, nudge, know what I mean).....