Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AntiMoon

Olney: O's finally a draw in FA

97 posts in this topic

"Agents and players are waiting on them with some players hoping to work out deals with them instead of just using them as a stalking horse"

It's nice...but what are the O's really going for?

I guess the realities of this FA class make it hard to tell for sure.

I think, if there were an elite 2b available, they would be all over it. It seems like every FA that fits the O's needs comes with a litany of question marks.

Saunders would be good to resign, but he doesn't fit the O's need for an ace.

To me, Casilla is a bad idea to use the way that they are indicating. Minnesota already made that same mistake a couple of years ago, and they paid for it. The one thing that I see with him is that he's a better contact hitter.

What last season did more than anything was probably reduce the amount they have to outbid other teams for a particular player's services. But if they're still not outbidding other teams to SOME degree, or at the very least matching offers, they're still not going to be getting guys at a discount.

What last season did more than anything was probably reduce the amount they have to outbid other teams for a particular player's services. But if they're still not outbidding other teams to SOME degree, or at the very least matching offers, they're still not going to be getting guys at a discount.

Better than having confederate money.

It takes years to get the discounts.

Buster Olney is an uninformed so-called baseball expert who is consistently wrong on his predictions. Why is it news when he says the O's are being considered by players from other teams? The players will almost always go where the money is and that means even to the O's.

The players will almost always go where the money is and that means even to the O's.

No that means not to the O's. Haven't you been paying attention?

No that means not to the O's. Haven't you been paying attention?

Do you have a couple examples where the O's made the highest offer and the free agent signed for less with another team?

Do you have a couple examples where the O's made the highest offer and the free agent signed for less with another team?

Konerko signed with Chicago and Vlad signed with the Angels. Not that it matters. Angelos is generally not the highest bidder anyway

Konerko signed with Chicago and Vlad signed with the Angels. Not that it matters. Angelos is generally not the highest bidder anyway

Who's this Vlad character?

Who's this Vlad character?

An outfielder that hit for average and power and played in the outfield when he was younger. His career seems to be over now :)

I believe still only bargain bin players come here. The inevitable diamond in the cesspool that the king is always looking for. We'll be used, talked about as a bargining chip and tossed away when the skanks come calling.

The king is always shopping in the dollar store for talent. I don't think this season changed anything. In fact, with some of the diamonds they acquired, it may have re-inforced that approach.

In fact, with some of the diamonds they acquired, it may have re-inforced that approach.

I said the exact same thing in another thread

Yeah, wouldn't that be a nightmare.

"We made the playoffs at 81 mill, lets see if we can do it at 65." :eek::eek::eek:

great minds think alike;):D

I believe still only bargain bin players come here. The inevitable diamond in the cesspool that the king is always looking for. We'll be used, talked about as a bargining chip and tossed away when the skanks come calling.

The king is always shopping in the dollar store for talent. I don't think this season changed anything. In fact, with some of the diamonds they acquired, it may have re-inforced that approach.

Last year certainly reinforced that approach for me. Money spent in free agency does not equate with wins, and there is almost no correlation between payroll and wins in the MLB. For example, spending $25 million on three years of an aging Jeremy Guthrie will probably net the Royals about a game a year over what they would have gotten for the league minimum.

ESPN and other writers can spew all the nonsense they want in the offseason, but the teams they appoint as having "won the offseason" rarely win the real season.

Last year certainly reinforced that approach for me. Money spent in free agency does not equate with wins, and there is almost no correlation between payroll and wins in the MLB. For example, spending $25 million on three years of an aging Jeremy Guthrie will probably net the Royals about a game a year over what they would have gotten for the league minimum.

ESPN and other writers can spew all the nonsense they want in the offseason, but the teams they appoint as having "won the offseason" rarely win the real season.

You are absolutely 100% correct on both counts - big money spent on free agents doesn't equate to wins and most so-called baseball experts at ESPN and elsewhere are nonsensical. The main reason I'm certain you're right is because I've been saying the same thing for years.

It got Detroit to the World Series.

In 2011, the Tigers won 95 games without Fielder. In 2012, the Tigers regressed to 88 wins after paying big bucks to Fielder. It looks like minus 7 to me.

In 2011, the Tigers won 95 games without Fielder. In 2012, the Tigers regressed to 88 wins after paying big bucks to Fielder. It looks like minus 7 to me.

so you consider their 2011 more successful even though they didn't make the series? I'd bet every Detroit Tiger would disagree with you

Right player, right price.

Timing is everything. Over-spending on players is as foolish as under-spending. For years, the king would spend little and when he did...would spend foolishly. I'm all for being frugal but I'd like to see a competitive team. I think DD is starting to build that...even while shopping in the independent league and other bargain bins.

so you consider their 2011 more successful even though they didn't make the series? I'd bet every Detroit Tiger would disagree with you

After spending $23 million on Fielder, the Tigers won 7 fewer games than they won in 2011 without Fielder. In 2011, they lost in the ALCS. In 2012 with Fielder, they were swept in the World Series. Fielder and his $23 million salary was a total bust in the 2012 playoffs with his .173 BA.

After spending $23 million on Fielder, the Tigers won 7 fewer games than they won in 2011 without Fielder. In 2011, they lost in the ALCS. In 2012 with Fielder, they were swept in the World Series. Fielder and his $23 million salary was a total bust in the 2012 playoffs with his .173 BA.

Getting to the world series is a better season than getting bounced in the ALCS. You don't get to and win the series with one player. Fielder hit .313 with 30 homers and 108 rbi for the season. We could use some busts like that. As far as playoff performance quite a few salary heavyweights in the AL laid an egg

many people are confused by the impact a team payroll has on your chances to win a WS title.

a team of big name, high $$$ players will almost always get you into the playoffs. after that, it's which team plays better that game/series.

payroll doesn't buy championships. it buys an increased opportunity to join the select few who compete for those championships.

ask St Louis about the perks of getting your foot in the post season door the last 2 seasons. they were arguably the weakest NL playoff team both seasons.