Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eaglesinsider

State Finals Set

30 posts in this topic

All games at M&T Bank Stadium

Thursday, 7 pm: Class 3A Championship Game

#1 River Hill (13-0) vs. #3 Huntingtown (12-1)

Friday, 7:30 pm: Class 4A Championship Game

#1 Wise (13-0) vs. #3 Quince Orchard (12-1)

Saturday, 12 pm: Class 1A Championship Game

#1 Dunbar (12-1) vs. #3 New Town (11-2)

Saturday, 3:30 pm: Class 2A Championship Game

#1 Middletown (13-0) vs. #3 Douglass (Prince George's) (12-1)

Interesting to note that all #1 seeds and all #3 seeds made it to the championship game.

All games at M&T Bank Stadium

Thursday, 7 pm: Class 3A Championship Game

#1 River Hill (13-0) vs. #3 Huntingtown (12-1)

Friday, 7:30 pm: Class 4A Championship Game

#1 Wise (13-0) vs. #3 Quince Orchard (12-1)

Saturday, 12 pm: Class 1A Championship Game

#1 Dunbar (12-1) vs. #3 New Town (11-2)

Saturday, 3:30 pm: Class 2A Championship Game

#1 Middletown (13-0) vs. #3 Douglass (Prince George's) (12-1)

Interesting to note that all #1 seeds and all #3 seeds made it to the championship game.

Only after the reseeding.

The Titans will have to play the game of thier lives to have a chance in this one. First time on the big stage for the Titans will mean they will have to quickly overcome the jitters real fast...the lil Titans cannot spot the Mighty Poets and early lead, or it will be a long day...I believe talent wise, its a draw at the skillled positions...New Town's Ryan Marine (transfer from GC) is the best kept secret in the metro area, he will have to take the leadership roll early...The Poets have a huge advantage in the trenches...Its a wash for me, because I like both programs...with the style of play of the teams in the finals this year, is the era of rugby style football over in Maryland? I sure hope so...it shows the state is maturing and the talent pool is growing

I dont even know why Douglass and new Town are even suiting up...we all know the games are played on this forum...lol

Douglass is a team who has always been there in the mix but just hasn't been able to grab the brass ring. Middletown was in that boat before last year I believe. If the truth is to be told, everything was in Middletown favor last year going into the title game. They had a very good team in their own right but Douglass as the #4 south region seed had to go on the road to beat the #1 south region Patuxent in a hard fought game. They had to go on the road the following week to beat the #2 region Glenelg who had eliminated Gwynn Park. Then Douglass had to go on the road yet again to defeat the #1 east region Kent Island. All the while, Middletown pretty much cruised by everyone at home before the title game. Douglass looked spent to me in warm-ups in that title game. They went through the motions but they just didn't have the bounce I would have expected for a team in the big dance. They just looked worn out.

Middletown again this year cruised through the playoffs and wasn't even challenged but their arch-rival Walkserville. Douglass had a better path yjis season having their first two playoffs games at home although they had to pull out a big win in the last minute by going 95-yards for the field goal win. They beat the pants off of Gwynn Park when I and probably most others but Douglass felt GP was the favorite in that rematch game from an early season beat down by GP on Douglass. Edmondson was beaten last Saturday by Douglass but it looks like an expensive win for Douglass when Edmondson attempted an onside kick to open the 2nd half down 20 to 0. The ball skirted along the ground and a Douglass player just fell on the ball and the play was dead. But some bone head Edmondson player not going for the ball but clearly hell bent on blasting someone plowed into a Douglass player who like everyone but the one knucklehead let up and wasn't braced for the collision. That player was driven into another Douglass player who also had let up because the play was dead. That player was a prime runningback who had torched Edmondson the first-half. He must have had over 100-yards rushing on the Red Storm in the first half and was the starter CB. That kid went down hard as he was plowed into from the side on his knee and the medical staff ran on the field to attend to him. He went out the game but tried to come back but left again after just a play or two. I saw him limping out of the stadium when the game was over. The Edmondson player got away with just a personal foul and shame when he was booed even by some Edmondson folks in the stands.

I asked a Douglass person near me about the kid and was told he was a standout trackster at the school, the fastest kid on the team, and he was the replacement for another starter kid who had an MCL injury two weeks before in the first round game. So Douglass is going to have to go third or fourth deep in this title game at the runningback position.

However, Middletown does look very very strong to me. I don't see them as strong as last season in the QB and WR positions but the Knights are still strong strong strong and Douglass is going to half to pull off something extra special to beat Middletown to me. But Douglass' future looks quite bright with their freshman QB who has led them all the way from what I've seen and heard. But as I said in another post, I was at the first Patuxent - Douglass playoff game with some private school sharks really drooling over that Douglass freshman QB. I would not be surprised if someone doesn't snatch that kid from Douglass - DeMatha, McNamara, Riverdale Baptist, Gonzaga!

I don't know a thing about New Town.

Douglass is a team who has always been there in the mix but just hasn't been able to grab the brass ring. Middletown was in that boat before last year I believe. If the truth is to be told, everything was in Middletown favor last year going into the title game. They had a very good team in their own right but Douglass as the #4 south region seed had to go on the road to beat the #1 south region Patuxent in a hard fought game. They had to go on the road the following week to beat the #2 region Glenelg who had eliminated Gwynn Park. Then Douglass had to go on the road yet again to defeat the #1 east region Kent Island. All the while, Middletown pretty much cruised by everyone at home before the title game. Douglass looked spent to me in warm-ups in that title game. They went through the motions but they just didn't have the bounce I would have expected for a team in the big dance. They just looked worn out.

Middletown again this year cruised through the playoffs and wasn't even challenged but their arch-rival Walkserville. Douglass had a better path yjis season having their first two playoffs games at home although they had to pull out a big win in the last minute by going 95-yards for the field goal win. They beat the pants off of Gwynn Park when I and probably most others but Douglass felt GP was the favorite in that rematch game from an early season beat down by GP on Douglass. Edmondson was beaten last Saturday by Douglass but it looks like an expensive win for Douglass when Edmondson attempted an onside kick to open the 2nd half down 20 to 0. The ball skirted along the ground and a Douglass player just fell on the ball and the play was dead. But some bone head Edmondson player not going for the ball but clearly hell bent on blasting someone plowed into a Douglass player who like everyone but the one knucklehead let up and wasn't braced for the collision. That player was driven into another Douglass player who also had let up because the play was dead. That player was a prime runningback who had torched Edmondson the first-half. He must have had over 100-yards rushing on the Red Storm in the first half and was the starter CB. That kid went down hard as he was plowed into from the side on his knee and the medical staff ran on the field to attend to him. He went out the game but tried to come back but left again after just a play or two. I saw him limping out of the stadium when the game was over. The Edmondson player got away with just a personal foul and shame when he was booed even by some Edmondson folks in the stands.

I asked a Douglass person near me about the kid and was told he was a standout trackster at the school, the fastest kid on the team, and he was the replacement for another starter kid who had an MCL injury two weeks before in the first round game. So Douglass is going to have to go third or fourth deep in this title game at the runningback position.

However, Middletown does look very very strong to me. I don't see them as strong as last season in the QB and WR positions but the Knights are still strong strong strong and Douglass is going to half to pull off something extra special to beat Middletown to me. But Douglass' future looks quite bright with their freshman QB who has led them all the way from what I've seen and heard. But as I said in another post, I was at the first Patuxent - Douglass playoff game with some private school sharks really drooling over that Douglass freshman QB. I would not be surprised if someone doesn't snatch that kid from Douglass - DeMatha, McNamara, Riverdale Baptist, Gonzaga!

I don't know a thing about New Town.

i don't boo at games but yeah, i made an exception on that onside kick play. the play was dead by several seconds when that mack trunk came in at full speed. he should have been ejected from the game rather than just a personal foul penalty. that was clearly uncalled for by the edmondson player especially the laughter and giving fives to each other on the sideline. that's when i made the exception and boo'd. i don't know where they came from but that ref crew was horrible. they missed numerous calls and they made bad calls all night long. look at this video at about 7:15 and see this good clean hit. note the flag thrown at about 7:23 for a blow to the head:

the defender was no where near the receivers head and just delivered a good clean but hard shot to dislodge the ball - football is what I call it.

i don't boo at games but yeah, i made an exception on that onside kick play. the play was dead by several seconds when that mack trunk came in at full speed. he should have been ejected from the game rather than just a personal foul penalty. that was clearly uncalled for by the edmondson player especially the laughter and giving fives to each other on the sideline. that's when i made the exception and boo'd. i don't know where they came from but that ref crew was horrible. they missed numerous calls and they made bad calls all night long. look at this video at about 7:15 and see this good clean hit. note the flag thrown at about 7:23 for a blow to the head:

the defender was no where near the receivers head and just delivered a good clean but hard shot to dislodge the ball - football is what I call it.

Edmondson's play was an embarrassment to the city league both last week against Dundalk and Fri. against Douglass. Neither one of those plays went unnoticed and the player involved last week was talked to by a higher up and I'm hoping the same thing happens to the player who delivered that cheap shot against Douglass. The thing that was even more disturbing was that the coaches didn't approach those players after those incidents. Coach Jones needs to get this stuff straightened out, it's not a good look for his program.

Edmondson's play was an embarrassment to the city league both last week against Dundalk and Fri. against Douglass. Neither one of those plays went unnoticed and the player involved last week was talked to by a higher up and I'm hoping the same thing happens to the player who delivered that cheap shot against Douglass. The thing that was even more disturbing was that the coaches didn't approach those players after those incidents. Coach Jones needs to get this stuff straightened out, it's not a good look for his program.

i called some folks in the know in upper marlboro area where douglass pg is located and they tell me the injured kid is a senior and he very well may miss the title game over that bonehead's complete disrepect for the game. he also may lose out on his senior track season. shame shame shame coach jones. you should have arrested your team's attitude during warm-ups when i could hear them from the stands cursing - f*** douglass this, f*** douglass that, those f***ing f*gs think we scared of them, we gonna f*** them up in our house, and on and on.

even some of the assistants were out of pocket running routes and throwing the ball around while the team was warming up rather than focusing on their team and taking care of business. edmondson needs to check down. they would have been wild and completely out of control at the bank if they had won and middletown would have started to lay the wood to them like douglass did. even on the short end of a complete blow out last year in the title game, douglass won the tournament sportsmanship award. that's a class program.

One Edmondson player put on a superb performance and that was #1. He is quick, fast, and has outstanding vision. That kid balled. But Douglass had too many talented players at too many positions for Edmondson, especially #9 the WR for Douglass and the QB #18 and the #26 RB so was injured unnecessarily. They were chewing up yardage on the storm at 5 to 8 yards or more a pop and Edmondson had no answer for that triple option as if they hadn't seen it before so they were constantly tackling or chasing players without the ball. Or they've seen it maybe on film but never physically played against it.

You could clearly see the Douglass freshman QB reading the ends and linebckers to determine which leg of their option to take and he did a good job of it most of the time. Edmondson didn't give him false reads so they just picked the storm apart playing three card monte.

Middletown did lay wood on them last year in the Semi-Finals, 48-8. The beat down was so bad, the Red Storm didn't know what hit them. They went away quietly, no trash talk or cheap shots. Sorry to hear what happened to the Douglass player. You always want to play an opponent at full strength in a Championship Game. See you at The Bank Saturday.

I'm liking QO to beat Wise. Last year QO manhandled a bigger Old Mill team and lost. If I had to pick between the two coaches at recess I would take the guy from QO.

MMMmmmmmmmmmm.... The Wise coach Dalawn Parrish is no panzy. He played high school ball in HoCo before going off to be a standout athlete and student at Wake Forest. I believe he returned to HoCo to coach at a couple HoCo schools and did some college time at Rutgers. He is a very bright young coach who took a start-up school and had a 2 win season their first years just several years ago to now being in his third state title game in four years. The school is only about 7-years old. That's a heck of an acoomplishment among the likes of Roosevelt, Suitland, Flowers, and others. Wise is big where they need to be big, fast where they need to be fast, and experienced overall. They just lacked luck when being in the right place doing the right thing didn't work. I'm going with Wise at this third time reaching out for the brass ring.

Middletown is the real deal. Nice to see they are getting some recognition!

Yes sir, Middletown is the real deal BUT with only one title they seem to have an aire of being the best thing since sliced bread and they, at least to me, seem to even rub the teams in their own league the wrong way so I think the rest of their league would like to see the Knights take it on the chin to bring them back down to earth. But Middletown is tough, no doubt. They just may need to learn how to act like champs. Maybe they will this time around for the rivals. I've been in the Middletown stands and they are on cloud nine, no doubt there also.

Just sayin'

Yes sir, Middletown is the real deal BUT with only one title they seem to have an aire of being the best thing since sliced bread and they, at least to me, seem to even rub the teams in their own league the wrong way so I think the rest of their league would like to see the Knights take it on the chin to bring them back down to earth. But Middletown is tough, no doubt. They just may need to learn how to act like champs. Maybe they will this time around for the rivals. I've been in the Middletown stands and they are on cloud nine, no doubt there also.

Just sayin'

You may have been in the stands, but you certainly don't know or understand Middletown tradition. A tradition that is the complete opposite of the opinions in your post. We deal in facts and reality and we certainly are not concerned if our opposition does not get it. We coach'em up and let the play on the field speak for itself.

It's funny because I think every time a new team comes on the scene people who have been there often find the fans and the team are to cocky or overzealous but if they hang awhile people get accostomed to the attitude. I have not met anyone from middletown or the team so I am only using what i have seen on the board over the years. Good luck at states.

You may have been in the stands, but you certainly don't know or understand Middletown tradition. A tradition that is the complete opposite of the opinions in your post. We deal in facts and reality and we certainly are not concerned if our opposition does not get it. We coach'em up and let the play on the field speak for itself.

Understand what tradition???? Before last year, you were considered among the best teams NOT to have won a title. So now you won ONE and in line to do another so now you have a "...tradition...", please! If your play on the field speaks for itself then you just haven't been speaking long enough with just one title win. There are tons of teams who have done that. Win three, four, and five and then talk "tradition." One title just not does do it in the tradition aspect to me.

Just sayin'

:rolleyes:

Now I wonder if I got Knight pumped enough to really want some get back to hear him trash talk :-)

Understand what tradition???? Before last year, you were considered among the best teams NOT to have won a title. So now you won ONE and in line to do another so now you have a "...tradition...", please! If your play on the field speaks for itself then you just haven't been speaking long enough with just one title win. There are tons of teams who have done that. Win three, four, and five and then talk "tradition." One title just not does do it in the tradition aspect to me.

Just sayin

Now I wonder if I got Knight pumped enough to really want some get back to hear him trash talk :-)

You can express whatever opinions you want, like I said just dealing in facts and reality. Ultimately results on the field is the only thing that counts. Check the facts, they are reality.

You can express whatever opinions you want, like I said just dealing in facts and reality. Ultimately results on the field is the only thing that counts. Check the facts, they are reality.

Fair enough. I checked the facts and Middletown has ONE title. You have been the bridesmaid four times as many. So is this what you wish to tell me about facts being reality!! As Coach Denise Green would say, "...you are who we thought you were..." I'd say you are far from the likes of Urbana for example to swell up with such an aire with only one win. But good luck to you this weekend. Anything less than another title - #2 - I feel would be such a great disappontment to you all, now wouldn't it!

Just Sayin'

B)

Fair enough. I checked the facts and Middletown has ONE title. You have been the bridesmaid four times as many. So is this what you wish to tell me about facts being reality!! As Coach Denise Green would say, "...you are who we thought you were..." I'd say you are far from the likes of Urbana for example to swell up with such an aire with only one win. But good luck to you this weekend. Anything less than another title - #2 - I feel would be such a great disappontment to you all, now wouldn't it!

Just Sayin'

B)

Trip my question to you is this, are your boys going to shut these Frederick County boys up or what? Sounds like me they are talking that talk! They smacked Douglas in their mouth last year, this year there should be no surprises. Douglas has the suppose star studded lineup with the best WR in the state in Harris and another super stud in Monroe(who wasn't on the team last year). No excuses this year my friend, time for Douglas to put up! Btw, I'm rooting for Douglas in this one.