Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SugarRay52

Harbaugh kept Ravens on track despite mutiny

34 posts in this topic

Anyone read that and still doesn't think Harbaugh is becoming a great coach?

He hasn't been one in his first couple seasons here, but who's to say that he can't become one. That article did make me start to respect him tho

So...let me see if I've got this right...Harbaugh announced that the team would practice in pads. Several players balked. They then had a big "therapy" session, and in the end, they did NOT practice in pads.

And THIS is an example of a great head coach?

Okay.

:rolleyes:

Well...it'll be interesting to see what spot Harbaugh finds for his old buddy Andy Reid after he gets canned in Philly.

:eek:

So...let me see if I've got this right...Harbaugh announced that the team would practice in pads. Several players balked. They then had a big "therapy" session, and in the end, they did NOT practice in pads.

Okay.

Yeah that's the only thing that makes him great.

Also, 5 playoff appearances (assuming they make it this year) in a row. I know you're not this dumb.

I know you're not this dumb.
Oh, is that so?!!!

(Oh...and the POINT of the thread WAS, in fact, to use this one example, nothing else. So yes...it IS legit to focus on this one example in response, and nothing else.)

Here's a great example of John Harbaugh's leadership:

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/What-Changed-With-Offense/728822b9-888c-486c-91e0-f52c4ed95b84

Quote from John Harbaugh:

“We were forced to open it up a little bit,” Head Coach John Harbaugh said Monday. “Obviously, we spread it out, because we were down 10 in the fourth quarter, and we had no choice and we probably changed gears. We got into a little more of a no-huddle, up-tempo type of a deal.”

This is reactionary thinking, vs proactive thinking. They allowed themselves to be backed into a corner that took a miracle run to get out of late in the 4th quarter. Why did it take this brilliant head coach 3 full quarters of football to realize what to do about it? Especially when it's been the SAME PROBLEM now for years.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/What-Changed-With-Offense/728822b9-888c-486c-91e0-f52c4ed95b84

“We were forced to open it up a little bit,” Head Coach John Harbaugh said Monday. “Obviously, we spread it out, because we were down 10 in the fourth quarter, and we had no choice and we probably changed gears. We got into a little more of a no-huddle, up-tempo type of a deal.”

This is reactionary thinking, vs proactive thinking. They allowed themselves to be backed into a corner that took a miracle run to get out of late in the 4th quarter. Why did it take this brilliant head coach 3 full quarters of football to realize what to do about it? Especially when it's been the SAME PROBLEM now for years.

Great coaches never have their team get into a bad position in a game. They also never lose.

You should apply for the job. I bet you'd be much better than him.

Great coaches never have their team get into a bad position in a game. They also never lose.
The truth hurts, doesn't it? B)

(Four and a half years of "why is the offense inconsistent?", and you think that's just "one bad game". Last year he was such a great coach he didn't even know what was going on with the offense. He promised this year would be different. This year is not different. But of course...that just goes in one ear and out the other with you. You're truly amusing.)

:)

Just as in any sport, you're usually going to be as good as the talent you have at your disposal but I do think Harbaugh's a good coach. You can't be considered great until you've won it all but overall, Baltimore could have done a lot worse. I'll have more respect for him when he looks Ray Lewis and Ed Reed in the eyes and tells them they're not playing because the team comes first and they're not good enough anymore. I know it will never happen, but one can dream, right?

Just as in any sport, you're usually going to be as good as the talent you have at your disposal but I do think Harbaugh's a good coach. You can't be considered great until you've won it all but overall, Baltimore could have done a lot worse. I'll have more respect for him when he looks Ray Lewis and Ed Reed in the eyes and tells them they're not playing because the team comes first and they're not good enough anymore. I know it will never happen, but one can dream, right?
Good coaches don't put loyalty to a coordinator ahead of the best interest of the team. Harbaugh has done that on several occasions. He is not a good coach, IMO, regardless of his W/L record.

Oh, is that so?!!!

(Oh...and the POINT of the thread WAS, in fact, to use this one example, nothing else. So yes...it IS legit to focus on this one example in response, and nothing else.)

Yes, because every example of anything should be taken in a complete vacuum, and everything else that is a known quantity about the person or subject at hand should be completely ignored...uh...because you said so. Puh-lease.

Like right now, I'm focusing on the example you're making of yourself in this thread, which points to you knowing basically nothing about football. I've seen from other posts that illustrate that you DO know something about football, but the point of these posts of yours in this thread is to just make yourself look contrarian and asinine, so yes...it IS legit to focus on this one example, and nothing else.

See what I did there?

The truth hurts, doesn't it? B)

(Four and a half years of "why is the offense inconsistent?", and you think that's just "one bad game". Last year he was such a great coach he didn't even know what was going on with the offense. He promised this year would be different. This year is not different. But of course...that just goes in one ear and out the other with you. You're truly amusing.)

The truth? You know nothing about the truth when it comes to football.

Bad coaches don't make the playoffs five years in a row. They just don't. The talent level amongst the teams is too close for that. Do you really think *****ty coaches have that level of sustained success? Even terrible teams have a legitimate chance to beat good teams on any given day, and it happens every year with relative regularity.

Bytch and moan all you want about the offense - despite the fact that it has been inconsistent, it has more often than not gotten the job done, and the team is 9-2.

Spin all you want, everything I just said is the truth.

Hurts, doesn't it?

This is one of those debates where nobody is going to change anyone else's mind. It's an interesting situation... I like some of what Harbaugh does, and I don't like some of what Harbaugh does. I get less and less interested in seeing Cameron stay each year. I could care less if Rosburg were let go tomorrow, but Tucker and Jones (when not bobbling the ball) have made the special teams a plus this year. Pees' schemes early on seemed disastrous. The O-line strikes me as mediocre at best, the LBs have been less than stellar, the WRs inconsistent (only Smith seems to be trending up), etc. etc. etc. Yet they're 9-2 this year, and Harbaugh is 53-22 overall as a head coach during the regular season in his tenure. They've won at least one playoff game each year, earned a 1st round bye last year (which is like another win), and in each playoff loss you can point to a handful of drops / fumbles / turnovers that made a huge difference in the outcome. Just like you can point to questionable coaching moves.

This is one of those debates where nobody is going to change anyone else's mind. It's an interesting situation... I like some of what Harbaugh does, and I don't like some of what Harbaugh does. I get less and less interested in seeing Cameron stay each year. I could care less if Rosburg were let go tomorrow, but Tucker and Jones (when not bobbling the ball) have made the special teams a plus this year. Pees' schemes early on seemed disastrous. The O-line strikes me as mediocre at best, the LBs have been less than stellar, the WRs inconsistent (only Smith seems to be trending up), etc. etc. etc. Yet they're 9-2 this year, and Harbaugh is 53-22 overall as a head coach during the regular season in his tenure. They've won at least one playoff game each year, earned a 1st round bye last year (which is like another win), and in each playoff loss you can point to a handful of drops / fumbles / turnovers that made a huge difference in the outcome. Just like you can point to questionable coaching moves.
That right there is the true dilemma of the Baltimore Ravens.

He hasn't been one in his first couple seasons here, but who's to say that he can't become one. That article did make me start to respect him tho

Have you forgotten Billick's clock management?

Okay.

All Harbaugh has done since he's been here is win! He has led us to the playoffs every year! It's all about wins and losses right? Well, 5 years of going to the playoffs makes him a great coach then - right? And BTW they need to give him a nice extension - coaches like this don't grow on trees.

The truth? You know nothing about the truth when it comes to football.

Bad coaches don't make the playoffs five years in a row. They just don't. The talent level amongst the teams is too close for that. Do you really think *****ty coaches have that level of sustained success? Even terrible teams have a legitimate chance to beat good teams on any given day, and it happens every year with relative regularity.

Bytch and moan all you want about the offense - despite the fact that it has been inconsistent, it has more often than not gotten the job done, and the team is 9-2.

Spin all you want, everything I just said is the truth.

Hurts, doesn't it?

OCF is the smartest guy on the board. Don't forget that. Everybody knew a kid like that back in elementary school. They usually didn't fare too well.

The coaching staff doesn't trust the passing offense. It is obvious. It got us out of a jam - good thing. But they understand that they can't rely on it as their bread and butter. You need to understand that too and stop throwng the coaching staff under the bus all the time.

Good coaches don't put loyalty to a coordinator ahead of the best interest of the team. Harbaugh has done that on several occasions. He is not a good coach, IMO, regardless of his W/L record.

Flacco is not a good QB regardless of his W/L record. You are such a double standard tool.

Well...it'll be interesting to see what spot Harbaugh finds for his old buddy Andy Reid after he gets canned in Philly.

Was Reid an OC before becoming a head coach? Seems like he's been head coach for most of my life.

Was Reid an OC before becoming a head coach? Seems like he's been head coach for most of my life.
Who said anything about Harbaugh making him an OC?