Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Far from home

Valencia - what's the point?

37 posts in this topic

He's not a bad player - but where does he fit?

Is DD signaling that they want to send Machado back down?

He has no other experience than as a 3b - so the only thing I could see is that they are bringing in some insurance and planning on a lefty/righty platoon at DH, while they bring back Reynolds.

Maybe they're planning to move Betemit and see Valencia as the primary backup? Maybe he's just minor league depth. Perhaps he's seen as another reclamation project like McLouth. Beats me.

I heard an interview with Buck about 2 weeks ago. when asked about their philosophy with the team, Buck said, 'we plan for every possibility, you can't assume any player from last year will repeat his performance, or what if our shortstop breaks his arm in ST'.

this may be a part of that philosophy. after all, the O's weathered big injuries by having multiple back ups available to them.

Really nice signing. Valencia is a good ball player and gives the Orioles depth. Injuries do happen. We lost Longoria for most of 2011 and suffered with a revolving door of sub par players to fill in. Brooks Conrad, Elliot Johnson, and a host of others. Nice move.

Really nice signing. Valencia is a good ball player and gives the Orioles depth. Injuries do happen. We lost Longoria for most of 2011 and suffered with a revolving door of sub par players to fill in. Brooks Conrad, Elliot Johnson, and a host of others. Nice move.

wait! how dod those sub-par players not find their way to Baltimore over the past decade+ pre Bucquette? I though every over the hill, washed up, has been or never were landed in Balitmore....These guys must have nudie pics of someone in Tampa...:D

Bucquette is my new term for the dynamic duo. you read it here first....

It's good to stockpile sound, inexpensive players. It gives trade

flexibility if another team is looking for a little something to sweeten

the pot. There's also the character and chemistry issue. You have to have

so many bodies around, and it's good if they don't have the minds of

frustrated prima donnas. Stockpiling attitude until the talent arrives isn't

a bad thing. Naturally, I'm assuming that Valencia fits in this category, but

the present administration seems pretty sound on this score.

typical of the Orioles :rolleyes:

see

Nick Johnson

Depth! This is all about what ifs. What if Machado proves in need of a little more seasoning (due most likely to his bat IMO). We all understand the guy is most likely to be an anchor at the corner in Norfolk to aid in the matriculation of Bundy and whatever other arms end up back in AAA (Arrieta, Britton).

This is a Lew Ford/Nate McLouth type guy and you should contain your fever while putting things in proper context. I think you are smarter than your momentary outburst. And, it's way too early to spike the ball on the hot stove yet. Hang in there and wait for it........

It's good to stockpile sound, inexpensive players. It gives trade

flexibility if another team is looking for a little something to sweeten

the pot. There's also the character and chemistry issue. You have to have

so many bodies around, and it's good if they don't have the minds of

frustrated prima donnas. Stockpiling attitude until the talent arrives isn't

a bad thing. Naturally, I'm assuming that Valencia fits in this category, but

the present administration seems pretty sound on this score.

Salient points!

typical of the Orioles :rolleyes:

see

Nick Johnson

you're absolutely right, in as much as these are the only moves this team makes. but it's still a good addition. he's an offensive upgrade over Ford.

for most teams, it would be fair to say that it's still very early in the off season. but why pretend. the O's haven't signed an impact FA in 9 years.

Depth! This is all about what ifs. What if Machado proves in need of a little more seasoning (due most likely to his bat IMO). We all understand the guy is most likely to be an anchor at the corner in Norfolk to aid in the matriculation of Bundy and whatever other arms end up back in AAA (Arrieta, Britton).

This is a Lew Ford/Nate McLouth type guy and you should contain your fever while putting things in proper context. I think you are smarter than your momentary outburst. And, it's way too early to spike the ball on the hot stove yet. Hang in there and wait for it........

organizational depth....hmmm....I know I heard this somewhere before....

see Nick Johnson...sorry couldn't help myself

as for the waiting part.....that's all we do. Year in and year out

How bout we do it a little different this year

Land an impact player NOW

smarter.........is it you and your patience (10 years worth) or me and my............ we been down this road before ????

you're absolutely right, in as much as these are the only moves this team makes. but it's still a good addition. he's an offensive upgrade over Ford.

for most teams, it would be fair to say that it's still very early in the off season. but why pretend. the O's haven't signed an impact FA in 9 years.

I really don't care one way or the other with Valencia.... You know I understand the depth thing, just seems like the same story every year....

For once, I want an impact player. I think we can ALL agree on that.

I really don't care one way or the other with Valencia.... You know I understand the depth thing, just seems like the same story every year....

What was the line, "Grow the arms and buy the mediocre bats"? :D

DD has a very good eye for talent.

I'm not gushing over any of the moves he's made so far, but I think by the end of the offseason he will have put together a team that's ready to compete.

The thing is, was Valencia insurance for the exit of Reynolds?

I guess they are similar players - but Valencia doesn't have Mark's power, and he doesn't have his 1b glove, either.

I hope DD can find some opportunities and doesn't outsmart himself.

Winning last year without making impact moves proved to DD that's the way to go so I don't know why people are surprised that we won't spend big under Angelos. Ever

Winning last year without making impact moves proved to DD that's the way to go so I don't know why people are surprised that we won't spend big under Angelos. Ever

not surprised at all

it's exactly the reason why I've started MY whining already

by Dan's own words

negotiations are moving slow

more typical Oriole front office work

seriously, how much could Nate & Saunders be asking for? especially Nate, he should have been signed already.

the only reason that I can see, for DD not getting that done, is that they plan to upgrade. Saunders is a back of the rotation guy, but there's nothing wrong with strengthening the rotation. sign him. again, unless they have their eye on an upgrade. but I won't believe that until it's done.

seriously, how much could Nate & Saunders be asking for? especially Nate, he should have been signed already.

the only reason that I can see, for DD not getting that done, is that they plan to upgrade. Saunders is a back of the rotation guy, but there's nothing wrong with strengthening the rotation. sign him. again, unless they have their eye on an upgrade. but I won't believe that until it's done.

Yankee pundits (Francesa et al) rave about McLouth. The Yankees might be looking at him as a replacement for Swisher.

Yankee pundits (Francesa et al) rave about McLouth. The Yankees might be looking at him as a replacement for Swisher.

after showing that he's MLB ready again, Nate isn't going to sign a 1 yr deal. and that's all the Yankees are offering this winter. several reports say they're signing Ichiro for 1 yr. with Ganderson and Gardner, they're all set for the OF.

after showing that he's MLB ready again, Nate isn't going to sign a 1 yr deal. and that's all the Yankees are offering this winter. several reports say they're signing Ichiro for 1 yr. with Ganderson and Gardner, they're all set for the OF.

That is a pretty good outfield, although I would switch Gardner and Granderson - Granderson isn't that great in CF anymore and his bat plays better in left.

From the pundits on YES, the impression is that the Yankees will cut Granderson loose after his last contract year in 2013. His salary is $15 million and there's no way he's worth that much to the "cost cutting Yankees." Also, signing Ichiro is an open question given his high salary expectations.

The YES pundits views are that (a) AROD is useless and a five year drag on the payroll; (B) Jeter is near the end and will be a big challenge if he seeks another big contract next year; © Tex is on the downside of his career; (d) Cano goes into free agency next year at 30 years old and he's only worth a 5 or 6 year premium contract; (e) Rivera is done after 2013; (f) Granderson is through in NY after the 2013 season; and (g) Nunez is a terrible fielder and not a suitable replacement for Jeter or AROD.

The YES pundits views are that (a) AROD is useless and a five year drag on the payroll;

And he is having more hip surgery in January that will sideline him for 4-6 months.

Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News reports that Rodriguez’s surgery is slated for January, with the delay stemming from the need to build up more strength in his hip before going under the knife. Obviously the fact that he’s expected to miss at least part of the season and yet the surgery is being put off until January suggests it won’t be a speedy recovery process, and according to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com it’s a 3-6 month timetable that could knock him out for the entire first half.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/03/alex-rodriguez-needs-more-hip-surgery-likely-to-miss-part-of-2013-season/