McLouth

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,904 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:55 PM

I just heard Jim Duquette say that Nate wants a long contract and his asking price is above his performance level (though no specific $$$ amount was mentioned). I guess we know what the hold up is.

from what he did last year, 3 yrs is a good term (he's a young 31 yrs old). He provides GG defense and is a good multi-dimentional hitter. if you extrapolate his recent production over a full season, he's a 25HR, 90RBI guy. that feels like $7-8M/yr. it's not too much to ask a rehab player to show some love with a "thanks for pulling me off the scrapheap discount"

JD also apologized to his cousin for revealing that the O's are looking at Ryan Sweeney to platoon in LF next year. I assume he'll be sharing time with Trayvon Robinson.

based on the numbers, the O's look like their willing to downgrade in LF.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#2 jabba2

jabba2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:08 PM

If the alternative is Robinson/Sweeney, im in favor of Mclouth returning. But I have no idea if DD feels a platoon of those two would be much more productive. And Robinson does not hit LH well. A platoon of Reimold/Sweeney would probably be much more effective. Though Sweeney is really only around a .345 OBP vs righties with little power.

#3 SugarRay52

SugarRay52

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,277 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

The cheap get cheaper, the O's will finish in last place. No magic ride this coming season. They aren't as stable as the Tampa Bay Rays so they can't expect the "cheap" route to work for them consistently. We know Angelos has money to spend but refuses to spend it. Don't expect Josh Hamilton, Billy Butler, Michael Morse or any other true impact bat on this team. Danny Knobler of CBSSportsline.com just tweeted that the O's are frustrated that they can't add an impact bat since they don't have "money to spend", bull****.

#4 hector

hector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,451 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:53 PM

I just heard Jim Duquette say that Nate wants a long contract and his asking price is above his performance level (though no specific $$$ amount was mentioned). I guess we know what the hold up is.

from what he did last year, 3 yrs is a good term (he's a young 31 yrs old). He provides GG defense and is a good multi-dimentional hitter. if you extrapolate his recent production over a full season, he's a 25HR, 90RBI guy. that feels like $7-8M/yr. it's not too much to ask a rehab player to show some love with a "thanks for pulling me off the scrapheap discount"

JD also apologized to his cousin for revealing that the O's are looking at Ryan Sweeney to platoon in LF next year. I assume he'll be sharing time with Trayvon Robinson.

based on the numbers, the O's look like their willing to downgrade in LF.

McLouth earned a contract for this year with his clutch performance both offensively and defensively in 2012. If the O's don't sign him because they're looking for a bargain who can hit, they should sign the Impaler as DH for about $4M and put Davis in the outfield or first base.

#5 jabba2

jabba2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:36 PM

The cheap get cheaper, the O's will finish in last place. No magic ride this coming season. They aren't as stable as the Tampa Bay Rays so they can't expect the "cheap" route to work for them consistently. We know Angelos has money to spend but refuses to spend it. Don't expect Josh Hamilton, Billy Butler, Michael Morse or any other true impact bat on this team. Danny Knobler of CBSSportsline.com just tweeted that the O's are frustrated that they can't add an impact bat since they don't have "money to spend", bull****.

Yeah its the same story every year. Go into winter meetings a with a plan, come out of it with nothing because other teams dont want to trade with us. But the latest updates from Showalter is Reynolds might be back. Go figure. Again its because no other team wants him. Not because he did anything good.

#6 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,421 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:35 AM

When will the Orioles realize a platoon of below-average players at a position does not equal one good player at that position?

Last year, the Orioles looked a lot better once the platoons at 1st, 3rd and LF were replaced by:

Machado - 3rd
Reynolds - 1st
McClouth - LF

#7 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,384 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:13 PM

When will the Orioles realize a platoon of below-average players at a position does not equal one good player at that position?

Last year, the Orioles looked a lot better once the platoons at 1st, 3rd and LF were replaced by:

Machado - 3rd
Reynolds - 1st
McClouth - LF

While the example you use from last year may be true, I'm not sure that the general principle you state is true. I recall Earl Weaver getting considerable production out of the Lowenstein/Roenicke platoon back in the day. If you have the roster space, it makes sense - choosing specific talents and putting them in specific spots to succeed.

I am in favor of bringing McLouth back, though.

#8 Aclobat

Aclobat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:55 PM

1 year deal according to baltimore sun text message i just got.

#9 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,904 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:01 PM

1 yr/$2M

that's weak. maybe they figure Reimold will prove (once and for all) that they can/can't count on him as the long term solution. otherwise, at least add an option year. even if his offense doesn't live up to last year, he's a very good 4th OFer off the bench, especially at that money.

I'm happy they're bringing him back
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#10 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Resident Good Luck Charm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,644 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:25 PM

I hope that this at least puts the Swisher reports to rest.
The kids are alright.

#11 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,904 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:31 PM

I hope that this at least puts the Swisher reports to rest.

I put the Swisher rumors right up there with the Konerko rumors.

#12 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,141 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:33 PM

The Orioles are bringing left fielder Nate McLouth back to the team.

According to multiple sources, the Orioles and the 31-year-old left fielder have agreed to a one-year deal. There is no option involved.

The Orioles haven’t announced the deal, but it is reportedly worth $2 million with $500,000 in performance bonuses.

http://www.baltimore...0,4873782.story
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#13 jabba2

jabba2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:37 PM

$2.5m salary for McLouth is a steal. He must really like Baltimore to only sign a one year deal. I would have thought another team would have given McLouth at least twice that much if not more.

#14 RIKMAN

RIKMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,927 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

Good- I like McLouth and dreaded the idea of Swisher.

So much for the O's offseason...McLouth is the big FA signing...time to get ready for the season. LOL
Baltimore Sports fan since 1965!:cool:

Confusing the delusional with fact since 2005!

#15 LarryN

LarryN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,905 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:41 PM

The Orioles haven’t announced the deal, but it is reportedly worth $2 million with $500,000 in performance bonuses.

That seems quite fair
"She's like the ex-girlfriend they're SO over, never want to see again, have already forgotten about -- really, it's O-ver -- but they just can't stop talking about her." --- Ann Coulter, discussing Sarah Palin

#16 Aclobat

Aclobat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:43 PM

I figure they atleast have a 2 year worked out. 1 is short.

#17 Gizmo

Gizmo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,377 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:23 PM

$2.5m salary for McLouth is a steal. He must really like Baltimore to only sign a one year deal. I would have thought another team would have given McLouth at least twice that much if not more.

This. I thought for sure that some other team would take a chance on him for more than that.

#18 Byng

Byng

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,317 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:36 PM

1 yr/$2M

that's weak. maybe they figure Reimold will prove (once and for all) that they can/can't count on him as the long term solution. otherwise, at least add an option year. even if his offense doesn't live up to last year, he's a very good 4th OFer off the bench, especially at that money.

I'm happy they're bringing him back

Huge deal at an unbelievable price. Gold Glove outfield, you can't beat that.:)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. Jacques Yves Cousteau.

#19 Baltimore Ravens Lets Go!

Baltimore Ravens Lets Go!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:29 PM

[quote name='RIKMAN']Good- I like McLouth and dreaded the idea of Swisher.

Ditto this.

#20 durango46

durango46

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,955 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:56 PM

Kinda of shocked he signed for 1 year at $2M....typical Orioles offer. They low ball everybody

But have to say I'm glad he's back

Edited by durango46, 05 December 2012 - 08:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users