• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 hector

hector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,042 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:15 PM

The Red Sox brass are doing their part to prove out my prediction that they're back in the playoffs in 2013. Victorino, Gomes and Napoli are all plus additions with winning attitudes.

Edited by hector, 05 December 2012 - 05:52 PM.

#2 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,714 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

they'll need pitching if they want to compete in the ALe. these three are nice additions, but none are game changers.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#3 AntiMoon

AntiMoon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,074 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:52 PM

Gotta agree with K Law: Bos has squandered their payroll on platoon players at ridiculous prices. Victorino hit .236 vs righties last year and his bat speed has disappeared. Napoli is a butcher at 1B and Gomes is a platoon player making 5 mil a year. Just a terrible off season for the chowdas
Only 48 days til hockey season.
Only 31 days til football season.

#4 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,802 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:05 PM

The Red Sox brass are doing there part to prove out my prediction that they're back in the playoffs in 2013. Victorino, Gomes and Napoli are all plus additions with winning attitudes.

Victorino...declining.
Gomes....never was great
Napoli....one dimensional.

Sounds like a formula for a winner.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#5 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,272 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:44 AM

The Red Sox brass are doing there part to prove out my prediction that they're back in the playoffs in 2013. Victorino, Gomes and Napoli are all plus additions with winning attitudes.

So will the 2013 Red Sox be your 2012 Marlins?

#6 hector

hector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,042 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:13 AM

No, they'll be my 2012 Orioles. In case you haven't heard, I predicted the O's would win 95 games and make the playoffs and was only one off on the win total.

The 2012 Marlins prediction was based on the assumption that Ozzie would be Ozzie. Unfortunately, he allowed himself to become neutered after his trip through political incorrectness and the Marlins were dead. A similar thing happened to the O's in 2011 when the demanding Buck of the past became a low key enabler of mediocrity in order to get along with AM.

#7 hector

hector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,042 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:14 AM

Victorino...declining.
Gomes....never was great
Napoli....one dimensional.

Sounds like a formula for a winner.

I predict the Red Sox will be back in the playoffs in 2013. What's your prediction?

#8 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,272 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:16 AM

The 2012 Marlins prediction was based on the assumption that Ozzie would be Ozzie. Unfortunately, he allowed himself to become neutered after his trip through political incorrectness and the Marlins were dead. A similar thing happened to the O's in 2011 when the demanding Buck of the past became a low key enabler of mediocrity in order to get along with AM.

Not to mention the assumption that all of the Hispanic players would make them so much better.

#9 hector

hector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,042 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:26 AM

Not to mention the assumption that all of the Hispanic players would make them so much better.

The genuine Ozzie would have handled the slackers with ease - the neutered Ozzie was unable to handle anybody.

When the political incorrectness arose, Ozzie should have handled it with some self-deprecating humor rather than go into full "please forgive me" mode. That way he could have maintained some command over the players. When he went the other way and apologized, he became the second coming of Bobby Valentine in Boston. In both cases, the managers lost their authority and the players slacked off.

#10 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,802 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:55 AM

I predict the Red Sox will be back in the playoffs in 2013. What's your prediction?

I'm not sure yet.
What I see right now is a team that doesn't have the pitching to push other teams.
Their lineup is decent, but Middlebrooks means so much to that team - without him, they might as well not even field a team.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#11 HAIL2BNG

HAIL2BNG

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,015 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:30 AM

They're all weak players. Cherrington is building a AAA+ team, not a MLB one.
Its no surprise that the SSA is a mess when they hire economists with pea brains.

#12 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56,478 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:43 AM

He'll never admit to be wrong about anything, despite evidence to the contrary
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#13 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,199 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:53 AM

I've always liked Victorino, but not at that price. The Red Sox are the poster boys for spending a lot of money and not getting much for it. As much as we want to see our team active in the FA market, just hiring a bunch of high-priced talent doesn't make a winning team, sometimes quite the opposite, as the Hose have shown recently. I'd rather watch an actual TEAM of hungry, hard-working up-and-comers and intelligently selected and used role players working together.

#14 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,714 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:39 PM

I hope Boston continues to give multi-year deals to players who don't give them what they need to compete.

I would have liked to see Nalopi come to Baltimore. he would have provided the punch the O's are looking for, while giving Buck the flexibility he likes in a DH type. but he isn't going to lead a last place team to the playoffs.

Boston is focusing all their attention on signing guys who will cultivate a healthy clubhouse attitude.

that's good, because their going to need guys who can keep up their happy attitudes while they lose to better teams in the division/league.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#15 hector

hector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,042 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:56 PM

He'll never admit to be wrong about anything, despite evidence to the contrary

BK 2012 prediction - 65 wins and no playoffs
HH 2012 prediction - 95 wins and the playoffs

BK, I'm sure you're a gentleman away from the board. Be humble, at least until your prediction is far more accurate than your 2012 forecast.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users