• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 franksykes

franksykes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,359 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:27 AM

Thoughts??? Who would you trade for him and what type of extention would you sign him too.. Would he fit?? Do you push Davis to DH?

http://www.masnsport...ut-morneau.html
Deep down IN places you don't like to talk about, you want me on that wall you need me on that wall.... I want the truth!!! You can't handle the truth!!!!:cool:

#2 Aclobat

Aclobat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:32 AM

Can you copy and paste the article. My work doesnt allow me to view MASN.

#3 franksykes

franksykes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,359 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:37 AM

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The Minnesota Twins are devoting part of these Winter Meetings to gauging outside interest in first baseman Justin Morneau, and the Orioles are counted among the teams they've contacted, according to an industry source.
The Twins would want - wait for it - young pitching in return for Morneau, who will make $14 million in 2013, the final year of his contract.
It's possible that the Twins are just testing the waters rather than actively shopping Morneau. General manager Terry Ryan told the Minneapolis Star Tribune in August that Morneau, 31, was "one of the most important people in this organization, no doubt," and suggested the first baseman would return next year. But they're floating his name at these meetings.
Morneau, a four-time All-Star, was named the American League's Most Valuable Player in 2006 and was runner-up in 2008. He sustained a concussion while sliding into second base on July 7, 2010 and missed the remainder of the season and the playoffs. He was limited to 69 games in 2011 because post-concussion symptoms, surgery in July to repair pinched nerves in his neck and a left shoulder injury.
Morneau appeared in 134 games this year, batting .267/.333/.440 with 26 doubles, 19 homers and 77 RBIs.
The Orioles' top priority is finding a bat for the middle of their lineup, either at first base, left field or designated hitter. It makes sense that the Twins would reach out to them, even if it's just to measure their level of interest as Morneau approaches free agency.
Orioles executive vice president Dan Duquette is hoping to pull off a trade before returning to Baltimore on Thursday, but he's also suggested that it could take a little longer. He met with at least five teams on Tuesday.
A power bat and a veteran starting pitcher remain atop the shopping list. Duquette also has engaged in talks regarding relievers, though the bullpen was the main strength of this year's team and appears to be full barring a trade.
Deep down IN places you don't like to talk about, you want me on that wall you need me on that wall.... I want the truth!!! You can't handle the truth!!!!:cool:

#4 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:38 AM

here you go

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The Minnesota Twins are devoting part of these Winter Meetings to gauging outside interest in first baseman Justin Morneau, and the Orioles are counted among the teams they've contacted, according to an industry source.

The Twins would want - wait for it - young pitching in return for Morneau, who will make $14 million in 2013, the final year of his contract.

It's possible that the Twins are just testing the waters rather than actively shopping Morneau. General manager Terry Ryan told the Minneapolis Star Tribune in August that Morneau, 31, was "one of the most important people in this organization, no doubt," and suggested the first baseman would return next year. But they're floating his name at these meetings.

Morneau, a four-time All-Star, was named the American League's Most Valuable Player in 2006 and was runner-up in 2008. He sustained a concussion while sliding into second base on July 7, 2010 and missed the remainder of the season and the playoffs. He was limited to 69 games in 2011 because post-concussion symptoms, surgery in July to repair pinched nerves in his neck and a left shoulder injury.

Morneau appeared in 134 games this year, batting .267/.333/.440 with 26 doubles, 19 homers and 77 RBIs.

The Orioles' top priority is finding a bat for the middle of their lineup, either at first base, left field or designated hitter. It makes sense that the Twins would reach out to them, even if it's just to measure their level of interest as Morneau approaches free agency.

Orioles executive vice president Dan Duquette is hoping to pull off a trade before returning to Baltimore on Thursday, but he's also suggested that it could take a little longer. He met with at least five teams on Tuesday.

A power bat and a veteran starting pitcher remain atop the shopping list. Duquette also has engaged in talks regarding relievers, though the bullpen was the main strength of this year's team and appears to be full barring a trade.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#5 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:46 AM

I wouldn't offer too much for him. I think he would be a real nice fit, but he's a 1 yr rental with plenty of health/productivity questions. Ryan just needs to consider this a salary dump and be happy with low rated prospects.

keep in mind, if the O's weren't willing to go $9M for Reynolds, I can't see them going $14M for JM
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#6 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56,488 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:54 AM

No one year rentals. If he's willing to sign an extension.......
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#7 hector

hector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,054 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:05 PM

We don't need him. With Morneau, there's a very strong correlation between pay, performance and production. The more you pay, the less he performs and produces.

#8 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:23 PM

We don't need him. With Morneau, there's a very strong correlation between pay, performance and production. The more you pay, the less he performs and produces.

perhaps. but 2013 will be his walk year, so he'll actually be playing for his next contract. that means he'll be hungry again. and at 31 (32 next winter) he'll be trying to prove he's worth a new 3-4 year deal.

#9 franksykes

franksykes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,359 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:28 PM

Even if that is so, I still believe he is an upgrade over Reynolds. Put him in the middle of the order with Jones and Davis. I think the days of striking out with the bases loaded would potentially be over.

#10 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,807 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:19 PM

Depends on how much the O's are going to pay.
He's not worth 14 mil...7 mil might even be a stretch right now.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#11 joe cool

joe cool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:43 PM

Depends on how much the O's are going to pay.
He's not worth 14 mil...7 mil might even be a stretch right now.

It always amazes me when I see people on here who say such and such player is not worth such and such salary and want the other team to pay some, if not most, of said player’s salary while at the same time not wanting to give up anything of value in the process. I guess having Angelos as an owner would eventually get you all to think exactly like him, looking for the hometown discount in everything and being as cheap as you can be!!:cool:
GO YANKS:cool:

It is great to be back home!!!

Go Yankees, Go Giants, Go NY Where Champions Are Born!!!;)

#12 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,807 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:38 AM

It always amazes me when I see people on here who say such and such player is not worth such and such salary and want the other team to pay some, if not most, of said player’s salary while at the same time not wanting to give up anything of value in the process. I guess having Angelos as an owner would eventually get you all to think exactly like him, looking for the hometown discount in everything and being as cheap as you can be!!:cool:

You would pay him 14 million?
Swisher had better numbers than him last year.

Btw, you seriously think that any player in baseball is worth a million dollars?
In the context of life, these guys have done nothing.

Meanwhile, I look at the monopoly money world of baseball and look at comparisons....

Morneau's production last season:
13th in 1b OPS
12th in average
15th in homers
14th in doubles
13th in hits
12th in RBIs

Saber:
worth .9 WAR
Also bottom half of qualifiers in fielding metrics.

He's just recovering now from a concussion.
He's in the last year of his contract.
No one knows if he's going to regain the form that he had a couple of years ago...the previous form was worth 15-20 mil.

Why aren't the Yankees looking into him? He could DH for them?

In the world of baseball right now, he's a huge risk that many teams can't afford.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.

#13 joe cool

joe cool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:03 AM

You would pay him 14 million?
Swisher had better numbers than him last year.

Btw, you seriously think that any player in baseball is worth a million dollars?
In the context of life, these guys have done nothing.

Meanwhile, I look at the monopoly money world of baseball and look at comparisons....

Morneau's production last season:
13th in 1b OPS
12th in average
15th in homers
14th in doubles
13th in hits
12th in RBIs

Saber:
worth .9 WAR
Also bottom half of qualifiers in fielding metrics.

He's just recovering now from a concussion.
He's in the last year of his contract.
No one knows if he's going to regain the form that he had a couple of years ago...the previous form was worth 15-20 mil.

Why aren't the Yankees looking into him? He could DH for them?

In the world of baseball right now, he's a huge risk that many teams can't afford.

[FONT="]I agree that NO PLAYER is worth 1 million dollars, let alone 14 million, but this is the world we live in where athletes become rich beyond their wildest dreams and people that contribute to this world in much more meaningful and critical ways are barely making a living. [/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="]But because we are talking about baseball and these are the salaries that are being paid today, if the Orioles wanted to take a chance on him they would have to assume some of the risk/burden as well. He could be a bust and basically he could be finished, but by that same token he could be fully recovered and become the player we all remember him being once again, in which case his former team would be losing big time. [/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="]But what I tend to see on here a lot is fans want a certain player but they do not want their team to take any real risk. They don’t want to give up any players of real value and they always seem to want the other team to pay some, and in some cases pay most, of the player’s salary. [/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="]I personally do not think that is fair, there is risk on both sides and both sides should share in the risk equally. :cool:[/FONT]
GO YANKS:cool:

It is great to be back home!!!

Go Yankees, Go Giants, Go NY Where Champions Are Born!!!;)

#14 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,274 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:27 AM

It amazes me that a Yankees fan is calling other people cheap. Not every team can or want to pay tons of money to injury-risk players. Except the Yankees, who will be paying Mr Playoff $28 million (and another $80 or so for the rest of the contract) after he has hip surgery at 37.

#15 Gizmo

Gizmo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:46 AM

[quote name='ivanbalt']It amazes me that a Yankees fan is calling other people cheap. Not every team can or want to pay tons of money to injury-risk players. Except the Yankees, who will be paying Mr Playoff $28 million (and another $80 or so for the rest of the contract) after he has hip surgery at 37.[/QUOTE]

Is this a great country or what? ;) :)

#16 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,807 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:27 AM

[FONT="]I agree that NO PLAYER is worth 1 million dollars, let alone 14 million, but this is the world we live in where athletes become rich beyond their wildest dreams and people that contribute to this world in much more meaningful and critical ways are barely making a living. [/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="]But because we are talking about baseball and these are the salaries that are being paid today, if the Orioles wanted to take a chance on him they would have to assume some of the risk/burden as well. He could be a bust and basically he could be finished, but by that same token he could be fully recovered and become the player we all remember him being once again, in which case his former team would be losing big time. [/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="]But what I tend to see on here a lot is fans want a certain player but they do not want their team to take any real risk. They don’t want to give up any players of real value and they always seem to want the other team to pay some, and in some cases pay most, of the player’s salary. [/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="]I personally do not think that is fair, there is risk on both sides and both sides should share in the risk equally. :cool:[/FONT]

...and that is the job of a good GM, with the exception of the Yanks, Dodgers, Angels and Red Sox.
The rest of the teams' GMs have a responsibility to shed as much of the risk as possible when they take on salary.

The Twins are going to want max liability for the other guy - which is something that the O's can't or aren't willing to pony up.

Concerning baseball overall - this has to stop. There are no Harlem Globetrotters if there aren't the Generals.

At some point in the next 10 years, they are going to have to come to terms with the need for a proper revenue sharing plan - otherwise they will stare contraction in the face.

#17 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:04 AM

...and that is the job of a good GM, with the exception of the Yanks, Dodgers, Angels and Red Sox.
The rest of the teams' GMs have a responsibility to shed as much of the risk as possible when they take on salary.

The Twins are going to want max liability for the other guy - which is something that the O's can't or aren't willing to pony up.

Concerning baseball overall - this has to stop. There are no Harlem Globetrotters if there aren't the Generals.

At some point in the next 10 years, they are going to have to come to terms with the need for a proper revenue sharing plan - otherwise they will stare contraction in the face.

I don't think contraction is a concern. almost every owner cries poor. these people are monsters in the business world. they don't achieve dizzying heights of success and then suddenly lose their mind and buy a money losing company.

buying a sports franchise is like buying property in the most exclusive neighborhood of the most affluent city of the most wealthy state. you buy it, sit on it, and sell it off for a 600% return on your original investment. the difference being, these parcels of property also dispense millions of $$$ each year while you wait for your big payday.

every team can afford to field a competitive product. the only obstruction is how much profit the owner wants to keep for himself.

#18 johnpolitics

johnpolitics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,183 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:30 PM

Justin and B Rob. Too many concussions on the field at the same time.

#19 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56,488 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:49 AM

You're assuming B Rob actually gets on the field :D
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#20 maumau

maumau

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:26 PM

It will make popups to the right side of the infield verrrry interesting. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users