#1 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,768 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:01 AM

http://www.masnsport...-year-deal.html

Disconcerting quote:
"Asked whether the Orioles are now focused on acquiring a first baseman, Duquette replied, "Did you see where Buck (Showalter) said he was going to engage Chris Davis at first base in the spring? If we have McLouth in left, (Adam) Jones in center, (Nick) Markakis in right and Davis at first, that's pretty solid. They're all quality major league players."

What about designated hitter?

"Wilson Betemit can DH against right-handed pitching," Duquette said. "Danny Valencia is a .316 hitter against left-handed pitching. I'm just giving you the good options that the team has. Just pointing out that we have some people for those jobs we're talking about. The team has some options with the people we have in place."

Duquette is a smart guy - but I think he missed what got the O's in the playoffs.
Yes, the pitching did well...but the O's defense was the best that it has been since the 90s.

Davis at this point is not an average 1b, and what does Valencia do for this team?

Youk is available, and he fits everything the O's need - as long as he stays healthy.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#2 Oriole-Bob

Oriole-Bob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,181 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:36 AM

This is starting to shape up like every other year, other teams make big aquisitions through trades, sign the big FA's and we get the scraps and left overs that no one else wanted.

Lightning is not going to strike twice with this team, they are not going to win 16 extra inning games in a row again, they are not going to get lucky winning so many 1 run games to sneak into the playoffs again.

They needed to improve this team and so far they haven't done a thing. I heard on the radio that iwth this McClouth signing that means Swisher is out of the picture, thats just fantastic!! :rolleyes:

Angelos goes cheap yet again with a big $2 mill contract for a left fielder. He is sitting on MILLIONS of dollars from the last few years of MASN revenue and from having such low team salaries, there is room to spend big money on big impact players.

Instead we will probably get more Jim Thome and Nick Johnson's.

http://www.masnsport...-year-deal.html

Disconcerting quote:
"Asked whether the Orioles are now focused on acquiring a first baseman, Duquette replied, "Did you see where Buck (Showalter) said he was going to engage Chris Davis at first base in the spring? If we have McLouth in left, (Adam) Jones in center, (Nick) Markakis in right and Davis at first, that's pretty solid. They're all quality major league players."

What about designated hitter?

"Wilson Betemit can DH against right-handed pitching," Duquette said. "Danny Valencia is a .316 hitter against left-handed pitching. I'm just giving you the good options that the team has. Just pointing out that we have some people for those jobs we're talking about. The team has some options with the people we have in place."

Duquette is a smart guy - but I think he missed what got the O's in the playoffs.
Yes, the pitching did well...but the O's defense was the best that it has been since the 90s.

Davis at this point is not an average 1b, and what does Valencia do for this team?

Youk is available, and he fits everything the O's need - as long as he stays healthy.

#3 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,212 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:38 AM

But we signed CoJax to a minor league deal!

http://www.baltimore...0,4002753.story

The Orioles added their latest reclamation project Wednesday, agreeing to terms with first baseman Conor Jackson on a minor league deal with an invitation to major league spring training, executive vice president Dan Duquette announced.

#4 hector

hector

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,905 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:45 AM

One of the YES reporterettes interviewed Buck yesterday about the O's attitude toward elite free agents. Buck said that the O's success is attributed to working with existing talent and convincing them they can win if they play hard and smart. He said that going out and signing elite free agents sends the wrong message to the players on the team and he closed with - if you look closely, even the elite free agents come with warts.

Buck's opinion echoes my minority opinion expressed in another long thread on the subject.

#5 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,139 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:44 AM

I wouldn't put too much stock in what these guys say until meetings are over and the free agents are mostly signed. At this point, there's no reason for Duquette to say, 'yes we really need help at X' cause all that does is weaken his position when dealing with agents.

#6 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,082 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:55 AM

I understand the purpose of this site is so we can spill our guts and vent our spleen, which includes a bunch of opinions relevant to today that will likely be meaningless next week. But even so it seems lacking in perspective to assume that just because a deal is not done in three days no deal is going to be done. I can't blame people for their impatience based on Angelos' tight-fisted tendencies, but I still wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet. And I especially would not base any assumptions on what DD or anyone else says in the press; of course they're not going to show their hand if/while they're working on possible deals. Just chill.

#7 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,757 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:15 AM

Who's really surprised by this?
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#8 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,768 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:17 AM

I understand the purpose of this site is so we can spill our guts and vent our spleen, which includes a bunch of opinions relevant to today that will likely be meaningless next week. But even so it seems lacking in perspective to assume that just because a deal is not done in three days no deal is going to be done. I can't blame people for their impatience based on Angelos' tight-fisted tendencies, but I still wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet. And I especially would not base any assumptions on what DD or anyone else says in the press; of course they're not going to show their hand if/while they're working on possible deals. Just chill.

Read what was said.
I'm not tense, I'm annoyed.
There are guys on the market that can help the team, and that aren't even elite guys, like Youk and Saunders.
I don't think that DD needs to pick up one of the elites - but he needs to be willing to get players that truly fit what the O's are trying to do.

Btw, I like the Conor Jackson signing. He's no Nick Johnson, and he has a history of solid, if not spectacular production.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#9 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,500 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:18 AM

I don't like seeing the O's continue their bargain shopping ways. but what elite players fit in with their needs?

Hamilton? not at the contract length he's looking for. unless you're ok with the fact that he'll be a declining player for a good portion of his time in Baltimore.

Greinke? it seems to be universally agreed upon that the guy is not built for pressure situations. plus, he wants to live where he plays and he wants to live out west. so he isn't a fit in the ALe

BJ Upton (before he signed)? we've all seen the videos of him jogging after balls while opposing runners are rounding the bases. he shows no competitive spirit, imagine how fat and lazy he'll be now that he has a zillion $$$.

Bourn? no power, and the the O's need a thumper in the middle of the order. and although McLouth isn't considered to be as good, Nate gives the O's what they need in LF.

the O's shouldn't be trying to get away with paying $700K for new players. but the elite guys aren't a match this year.

with that said, they can't afford to take even a tiny step back.

LaRoche doesn't want to come to Baltimore. I heard that again today. I've heard that several times, and we know he turned down the O's last year. so forget about him.

interestingly enough, Reynolds looks just as good on paper.

AL > MR, but not by much.

factor in MR's success at 1B, and how his offense dramatically improved when he moved across the infield, he will probably get back to 35-40 HRs this year. and his hits were clutch in the second half of the season, unlike 2011 when all his hits came in situations where the game was already decided. he was a yankee killer in important Sept games in NY.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#10 Aclobat

Aclobat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:32 AM

Only way we are going to get any kind of top of the line player is by trade.

#11 RIKMAN

RIKMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,902 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:14 AM

I'd re-sign Reynolds over some of the over priced guys out there.
I think MR would want to come back. Let's get it done.

2nd base is the only problem I see right now.
Baltimore Sports fan since 1965!:cool:

Confusing the delusional with fact since 2005!

#12 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,082 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:24 AM

I agree, and I hope something is going on below the surface in that regard. I heard (on the radio, sorry no link) that Reynolds was never contacted at all by the team leading up to the non-tender deadline, and just left to swing, and he's not happy about that. I guess I'm naive, but I don't understand that behavior. Whether you want the guy or not it would seem like common courtesy and respect for an employee who did his best to at least let him know what is going on, but that is probably not the way big shot lawyers do business. Anyway, I agree Reynolds is a better option.

#13 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,757 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:25 AM

he will probably get back to 35-40 HRs this year.

I said that several times this year every time the club option was brought up. I don't know what was going on with him in the 1st half, but his 2nd half was his normal production numbers based on his career. I say sign him. There really isn't a better option at first as long as he returns to normal form
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#14 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,500 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:36 AM

they seem to be set with Casilla, Flaherty and Roberts to play 2B

I think the starting rotation needs to be improved. Hammel, Chen, Gonzalez are in place. Britton, et al will be the 5th starter. but they need 1 more guy who can go out there and give 12 wins 160 innings.

Saunders was the man in Oct, but I don't know if you can ride him to the playoffs. especially if the #5 slot is a patchwork of even less unreliables. I have no doubt that Arrieta & Matusz will get their chance to lose 15 games each. :rolleyes:
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#15 jabba2

jabba2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:27 PM

Davis wasnt very good at 1B last year. I hope there is something in the works so that Davis can resume playing emergency OF and be the primary DH. Maybe DH will be Reimolds job when he gets back. Its a collection of scrap heap parts that I guess no one should be surprised with. The O's dont get into bidding wars with another team. They need to get steals like McLouths salary to be interested.

#16 Rael

Rael

Rational member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:29 PM

they seem to be set with Casilla, Flaherty and Roberts to play 2B

I think the starting rotation needs to be improved. Hammel, Chen, Gonzalez are in place. Britton, et al will be the 5th starter. but they need 1 more guy who can go out there and give 12 wins 160 innings.

Saunders was the man in Oct, but I don't know if you can ride him to the playoffs. especially if the #5 slot is a patchwork of even less unreliables. I have no doubt that Arrieta & Matusz will get their chance to lose 15 games each. :rolleyes:

You forgot our most reliable 2nd half pitcher, Tillman.
Pessimism is just an ugly word for 'pattern recognition'.

#17 hector

hector

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,905 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:48 PM

The Yankees intend to pursue Reynolds for 3B if they don't sign Youkilis. Putting Reynolds at 3B shows rather clearly that the so-called baseball people with the Yankees are idiots.

#18 joe cool

joe cool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:43 PM

This is starting to shape up like every other year, other teams make big aquisitions through trades, sign the big FA's and we get the scraps and left overs that no one else wanted.

Lightning is not going to strike twice with this team, they are not going to win 16 extra inning games in a row again, they are not going to get lucky winning so many 1 run games to sneak into the playoffs again.

They needed to improve this team and so far they haven't done a thing. I heard on the radio that iwth this McClouth signing that means Swisher is out of the picture, thats just fantastic!! :rolleyes:

Angelos goes cheap yet again with a big $2 mill contract for a left fielder. He is sitting on MILLIONS of dollars from the last few years of MASN revenue and from having such low team salaries, there is room to spend big money on big impact players.

Instead we will probably get more Jim Thome and Nick Johnson's.

I said it several times during the season and will repeat here now, despite the fact you guys where ecstatic with the O’s first winning season in a decade and a half, and sneaking into the playoffs due to the new twist put in for this past season, I felt the worst thing for the O’s would be for them to somehow win with a mediocre and cheap team.

That would cause Mr. Angelos to be legitimized in his thought process that he does not need to spend big money on any FA because they can win with what they have. This in turn will tie up Mr. DD’s hands and he’ll have to settle for the scraps left behind and HOPE that he can strike lightning in a bottle twice in row.

As I said I think many on here will be in for a huge shock this coming season, with the ball no longer bouncing the O’s way (winning so many extra inning games in a row) and with them no longer getting all of the breaks (that led to many 1 run victories) I think you will all see the true disparity in talents between a team like the O’s and those teams with true talents.

There are people here now that want to place some of the still unproven young pitchers on the O’s today with the top pitchers in the league. We’ll have to wait and see how everything turns out but it will be an interesting season coming up!!:cool:
GO YANKS:cool:

It is great to be back home!!!

Go Yankees, Go Giants, Go NY Where Champions Are Born!!!;)

#19 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,500 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:48 PM

You forgot our most reliable 2nd half pitcher, Tillman.

thank you for reminding me. I feel stupid.

objectively speaking, I think it's safe to have a contingency plan in place for him. but you're right, he was really good after the AS break.

#20 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,212 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:36 PM

I said it several times during the season and will repeat here now, despite the fact you guys where ecstatic with the O’s first winning season in a decade and a half, and sneaking into the playoffs due to the new twist put in for this past season, I felt the worst thing for the O’s would be for them to somehow win with a mediocre and cheap team.

That would cause Mr. Angelos to be legitimized in his thought process that he does not need to spend big money on any FA because they can win with what they have. This in turn will tie up Mr. DD’s hands and he’ll have to settle for the scraps left behind and HOPE that he can strike lightning in a bottle twice in row.

As I said I think many on here will be in for a huge shock this coming season, with the ball no longer bouncing the O’s way (winning so many extra inning games in a row) and with them no longer getting all of the breaks (that led to many 1 run victories) I think you will all see the true disparity in talents between a team like the O’s and those teams with true talents.

There are people here now that want to place some of the still unproven young pitchers on the O’s today with the top pitchers in the league. We’ll have to wait and see how everything turns out but it will be an interesting season coming up!!:cool:

I really hope you copy/paste these same stupid posts. :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users