#1 franksykes

franksykes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,359 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:27 PM

Very interesting......

http://espn.go.com/n...cording-sources

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- After remaining quiet on the free-agent front for the first few days of the winter meetings, the New York Yankees made some noise on the last day with a one-year, $12 million offer to third baseman Kevin Youkilis, sources said.
More On The Yankees

Want to get the scoop on everything in pinstripes? ESPNNewYork.com has you covered. Blog
The Yankees are one option for the 33-year-old free agent. The Cleveland Indians, the new home of Youkilis' former manager in Boston, Terry Francona, also are interested, a source told ESPN.com. Youkilis made $12.25 million last season when he hit .235 with 19 home runs and 60 RBIs for Boston and the Chicago White Sox, who acquired him in June.

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman declined to say whether he has made Youkilis an offer.

The Yankees are trying to lure Youkilis to replace Alex Rodriguez, who will undergo surgery on the labrum in his left hip in mid-January and is expected to need four to six months of recovery.
The Yankees initially were interested in free agents Jeff Keppinger and Eric Chavez to form a platoon at third. The Yankees discussed a two-year, $10 million deal with Keppinger's agent, according to a source, but he accepted a three-year deal worth $12 million from the Chicago White Sox. Chavez, who spent the last two seasons in New York as Rodriguez's backup, agreed to a one-year deal worth $3 million with the Arizona Diamondbacks.
"Most of my conversations were, 'Where are you at in the marketplace and what is it going to take?'" Cashman said. "They would give me that information, I would say, 'I appreciate it,' and we didn't make an offer."

Agents told ESPNNewYork.com described their meetings with Cashman in a similar fashion -- that, being unable to move forward in discussions with the Yankees, their clients have looked elsewhere.
Cashman said he has been more active in the trade talks than in free agency.

"It is hard to make trades, but I have certainly have been busy with a lot of ideas," Cashman said. "That is not unusual as far as the process. There is a lot of time between now and first pitch. There are no games tomorrow."
The Yankees are open to listening to offers for center fielder Curtis Granderson and starting pitchers Phil Hughes and Ivan Nova, sources said. The club is trying to fulfill a mandate to fall under a $189 million payroll by 2014 but also needs help at third base and right field, where they are looking to replace Nick Swisher. Hughes and Nova are both free agents at the end of the 2013 season.
"We are taking things step by step," Cashman said.

In that regard, it has been a rather quiet offseason for the usually free-spending Yankees, who have concentrated on re-signing their own free agents. Closer Mariano Rivera and pitchers Andy Pettitte and Hiroki Kuroda both have signed new deals.
On the current roster, Jayson Nix and Eduardo Nunez are possibilities on the left side of the infield, though Cashman said he doesn't consider Nunez as a third baseman.

Cashman said that even though the Yankees had interest in Keppinger, Chavez and outfielder Nate Schierholtz, he has no regrets after hearing what other clubs paid for them.
"So far, what's transpired, I wouldn't do," Cashman said. "In terms of what's happened this particular week, those opportunities, I'm comfortable with. That's all."
Schierholtz signed with the Chicago Cubs for $2.25 million.
A three-time All-Star known for his ability to get on base, Youkilis has seen his numbers decline in recent seasons, with his .235 batting average last season the lowest of his nine-year career. Youkilis is an above-average defensive player, winning a Gold Glove in 2007. In addition to third, he also can play first base.
Deep down IN places you don't like to talk about, you want me on that wall you need me on that wall.... I want the truth!!! You can't handle the truth!!!!:cool:

#2 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,471 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:33 PM

Only in MLB can you hit .235 and make $12M
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#3 franksykes

franksykes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,359 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:41 PM

So who would you rather have??

Youklis
Morneau
Deep down IN places you don't like to talk about, you want me on that wall you need me on that wall.... I want the truth!!! You can't handle the truth!!!!:cool:

#4 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,471 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:13 PM

So who would you rather have??

Youklis
Morneau

They play different positions

#5 franksykes

franksykes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,359 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:07 PM

They play different positions

They both can DH??? Youklis can play first for us or DH.

#6 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,471 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:25 PM

They both can DH??? Youklis can play first for us or DH.

I'd prefer Mark Reynolds. Youkilis has never hit 30 homers

#7 franksykes

franksykes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,359 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:39 PM

I'd prefer Mark Reynolds. Youkilis has never hit 30 homers

They may have a chance to get him back..

#8 Captain Spaulding

Captain Spaulding

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:00 AM

They may have a chance to get him back..

How much you want to bet he has a monster year this year? :eek:

As for Youk..... Yankme's bound....

#9 Gizmo

Gizmo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,381 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:52 AM

Youkilis to the Yanks for 12mill/1 year. Meh.

#10 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,544 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:23 AM

That along with a OBP that dropped 40 points.

#11 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,947 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:43 AM

new reports say NY wants Swisher back as well. it seems they've contacted his people.

so much for getting under the $189M, unless they plan to dump existing payroll onto someone else in 2014.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#12 hector

hector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,967 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:22 PM

new reports say NY wants Swisher back as well. it seems they've contacted his people.

so much for getting under the $189M, unless they plan to dump existing payroll onto someone else in 2014.

I assume the renewed interest in Swisher is the result of AROD mailing it in for 2013. AROD says mid-July which really means September if at all. As a result, Youkilis is seen as the full-time 3B with Nunez filling in when Youkilis feels a back pain. They need Swisher now as a back-up for Tex since he'll take 30 or more games off and Youkilis won't be available since he's stuck on third.

Regarding the $189M, they're counting on Pettite, Rivera, Kuroda only for 2013 and their salaries go away in 2014. Same for Youkilis. I assume the offer for Swisher won't be long term. As to AROD, they'll probably encourage him to take a disability retirement after 2013 and pawn off the expense on the insurance company. They'll also dump Granderson in 2014 if his salary expectations are out of line and so having Swisher around will help fill the OF gap. Tex is also gone when his contract is up since his salary far exceeds his production.

#13 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,947 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:49 PM

Regarding the $189M, they're counting on Pettite, Rivera, Kuroda only for 2013 and their salaries go away in 2014. Same for Youkilis. I assume the offer for Swisher won't be long term. As to AROD, they'll probably encourage him to take a disability retirement after 2013 and pawn off the expense on the insurance company. They'll also dump Granderson in 2014 if his salary expectations are out of line and so having Swisher around will help fill the OF gap. Tex is also gone when his contract is up since his salary far exceeds his production.

all the salaries you mentioned, except Pay-Roid, are already being subtacted to get them below $189M. that's why all the contracts for 2013 are 1 yr deals. Swisher wants a long term deal.

Pay-Roid isn't going to retire early, that's a laughable suggestion. he's all about the money. first, last and always.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#14 Norman

Norman

Underachiever

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,993 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:06 PM

Pay-Roid isn't going to retire early, that's a laughable suggestion. he's all about the money. first, last and always.

What MLB'er isn't? How's B-Roid doing on the comeback for the O's? He's played just over 100 games total for the past 3 years vs. ARods 350 or so....granted he's not getting nearly the money, but still.

#15 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,947 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:21 PM

What MLB'er isn't? How's B-Roid doing on the comeback for the O's? He's played just over 100 games total for the past 3 years vs. ARods 350 or so....granted he's not getting nearly the money, but still.

come on Norm, you can't seriously be offended by my poking fun at that guy. I'm not offended by the Roberts comments. I like B-Roid, that's funny :D

Pay-Roid is on a whole different level. he's a completely self absorbed toolbox who has no equal since Bonds retired. that has nothing to do with him wearing pinstripes. he doesn't need to be a yankee to be unlikeable, he's unlikeable all on his own.

if you think otherwise, that's cool too. but anyone who thinks he's going to bow out gracefully doesn't know who we're talking about.

Roberts should retire too, but he won't.

#16 Norman

Norman

Underachiever

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,993 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:27 PM

Not offended at all...as I said in my post, what MLB'er isn't...I'm not defending Arod, just pointing out that it's the norm not the exception.

#17 johnpolitics

johnpolitics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:18 PM

The only easy way to get under that number is to move A-Rod. Hips can be nasty, ask Albert Belle.

#18 hector

hector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,967 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:24 PM

all the salaries you mentioned, except Pay-Roid, are already being subtacted to get them below $189M. that's why all the contracts for 2013 are 1 yr deals. Swisher wants a long term deal.

Swisher won't get a long term deal. I can see the Yankees going three at the most while they transition away from Granderson and Tex.

I didn't say that AROD would walk away from the money - why should he? What I said was that he'd be permanently disabled and his salary pawned off on the insurance company.

#19 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,947 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:45 AM

I didn't say that AROD would walk away from the money - why should he? What I said was that he'd be permanently disabled and his salary pawned off on the insurance company.

that money still counts against the teams payroll. it doesn't come off the books just because the ins. co. is paying for some of it. Albert Belle remained on a series of consecutive 60 DL stints until the contract ended. his $10M annual salary (I think it was $10M)was always included in the O's total payroll.

#20 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,947 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:10 PM

Not offended at all...as I said in my post, what MLB'er isn't...I'm not defending Arod, just pointing out that it's the norm not the exception.

you're right, no doubt about it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users