Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheGuru

The Solution to the Problem

22 posts in this topic

With the MPSSAA's change to sectional play, it stands to reason that all teams will have more latitude to play teams outside of their local jurisdictions. I don't know how it will work but I am hoping that the Baltimore City, Howard & Anne Arundel County models become outdated and done away with.

It is time that city & county powers like Arundel, Old Mill, River Hill, Quince Orchard, Middletown and Dunbar play each other as well as the elite private schools on a regular basis. I for one am tired of all the prognostications made by public and private school supporters alike about who would win in mythical matchups.

Hopefully, the new setup allows for public schools to play at least two intersectional games against other region publics or local private schools. Why not a regular season game between Quince Orchard & Good Counsel? How about Dunbar vs Franklin, Gilman vs Wise, City vs Middletown or CHC against River Hill? You could hold these games in week 5 and 6 to negate the so-called advantage that the private schools have in starting 5 days earlier.

The MPSSAA, MIAA and WCAC should get together and make this thing happen. Maybe part of the gate receipts could go to local charities. What do the board members think? Is this feasible?

With the MPSSAA's change to sectional play, it stands to reason that all teams will have more latitude to play teams outside of their local jurisdictions. I don't know how it will work but I am hoping that the Baltimore City, Howard & Anne Arundel County models become outdated and done away with.

It is time that city & county powers like Arundel, Old Mill, River Hill, Quince Orchard, Middletown and Dunbar play each other as well as the elite private schools on a regular basis. I for one am tired of all the prognostications made by public and private school supporters alike about who would win in mythical matchups.

Hopefully, the new setup allows for public schools to play at least two intersectional games against other region publics or local private schools. Why not a regular season game between Quince Orchard & Good Counsel? How about Dunbar vs Franklin, Gilman vs Wise, City vs Middletown or CHC against River Hill? You could hold these games in week 5 and 6 to negate the so-called advantage that the private schools have in starting 5 days earlier.

The MPSSAA, MIAA and WCAC should get together and make this thing happen. Maybe part of the gate receipts could go to local charities. What do the board members think? Is this feasible?

I'm all for it. I would love to see Gilman play a Wise or whoever. But I know Biff(who is returning as Head Coach), he would play these games one maybe two years and if they aren't competitive, he won't play them anymore. I don't think a public like Wise or River Hill would want to play Gilman though because of playoff implications. They have too much to lose.

This is a great idea nonetheless, would shut a lot of people up!

I say get it done. I think if you can show the counties and the MPSSAA how they can profit from it and they will figure out a way to make it happen.

Baltimore City coaches don't get the schedules until may which is a big problem when your trying to schedule games

They may not get final published schedules until May but I'll wager that schedules for next season are known now.

This wouldn't work unless you got rid of the public school point system as well. Otherwise few public school coaches would risk the loss of playoff points to play a good school that only counts for 1A points (McDonogh), whose enrollment would be between Clear Spring and DuBois in 1A or 2A points (Gilman), whose enrollment (doubled because they're an all male school) would fall between Potomac and Loch Raven, the 2 smallest 2A schools.

They may not get final published schedules until May but I'll wager that schedules for next season are known now.

In speaking to a lot of coaches they still have no clue what open weeks they will have due to the new realignment

In speaking to a lot of coaches they still have no clue what open weeks they will have due to the new realignment

what county are you talking about?

New sectional play does not impact football. The only changes that impact football are the proposed regions.

Copied from the MPSSAA website "The MPSSAA Classification Committee met on November 1st to verify class groupings and recommend region alignments for the 2013-14 and 2014-15 school years. The Committee not only reviewed numerical and geographical clustering but also focused on extensive travel requirements for a significant number of potential opponents. See the links above to view the grades 9-11 enrollment figures for all member schools as well as the proposed region alignments.

Extensive regional travel creates loss of instructional time, higher travel costs, and late bus trips on school nights. Given those concerns, the Committee has strongly recommended to the MPSSAA Board of Control the implementation of sectional divisions within each region.

For playoff purposes, teams would compete within their assigned section with the two sectional winners emerging to compete for the Region Championship. The Classification Committee noted that the sectional concept has been used successfully in several regions already. Please note that the Football playoffs will not be affected by this proposal.

Final action on the proposed region alignments along with the sectional component will be acted upon at the December MPSSAA Board of Control meeting. Once approved, the Executive Council will provide the particulars concerning Region Championship contests."

My guess is that HOCO will stay with a county only schedule. I heard that two years ago they tried to get the AACo teams to play in a week 1 match up where each county's champions would play, the 2's would play, etc., but were turned down by the AACo. With no changes to the playoff point system I don't see coaches scheduling alot of private vs public games. Without a county to partner with for games I don't see HOCO changing their scheduling format. Before HOCO went to this scheduling format there it was routine in the county for 2 or more teams to only have 9 games. It is my understanding that this more than anything else led to a county only schedule.

Balt. Co schedule was completed last week, and Balt. City has 2-3 proposed schedule out that Petrides has not approved yet. From what I'm hearing there are some unhappy coaches in Balt Co. w/ some of the school being moved up and down to have easier games... Going to hurt some teams in the long run when it comes playoff time.

No chance AACO is opening up the schedule and if you look at sectionals, they are not based on mileage. There are clearly some teams playing further away from other teams even in their own sectional.

As of yesterday, the MPSSAA website listed the following 2013 open dates:

Wk 1 9/6/12 Urbana

Wk 1 Bladensburg

Wk 1 Patuxent

Wk 1 9/7/13 Suitland

Wk 1 North Point

Wk 2 9/14/13 Douglass (PG)

Wk 3 9/20/13 Fort Hill

Wk 5 Westlake

Wk 7 Elkton

I would sure like to see Calvert Hall play any of these teams if the schedule allowed. My personal wish list would be Urbana in week 1, Douglass in week 2 or Westlake in week 5. Too bad Middletown doesn't have an opening. Oh well, their coach probably wouldn't schedule the Hall if his life depended on it.

As of yesterday, the MPSSAA website listed the following 2013 open dates:

Wk 1 9/6/12 Urbana

Wk 1 Bladensburg

Wk 1 Patuxent

Wk 1 9/7/13 Suitland

Wk 1 North Point

Wk 2 9/14/13 Douglass (PG)

Wk 3 9/20/13 Fort Hill

Wk 5 Westlake

Wk 7 Elkton

I would sure like to see Calvert Hall play any of these teams if the schedule allowed. My personal wish list would be Urbana in week 1, Douglass in week 2 or Westlake in week 5. Too bad Middletown doesn't have an opening. Oh well, their coach probably wouldn't schedule the Hall if his life depended on it.

Why the hell would you want to play any of those teams? CHC would blow them all out! I would love for them to play Middletown just for the point of teaching them that winning 2A doesn't mean you can beat a legit team. If CHC lost to Douglass, Westlake or Urbana in this day and age, they should be embarrassed.

Why the hell would you want to play any of those teams? CHC would blow them all out! I would love for them to play Middletown just for the point of teaching them that winning 2A doesn't mean you can beat a legit team. If CHC lost to Douglass, Westlake or Urbana in this day and age, they should be embarrassed.

Your arrogance about Gilman football is based on the fact that Biff throws his $$$ around in other ways besides tuition assistance. There is good football being played on the public school level. The difference between you and I is that I go to watch the publics play. You have no first hand knowledge therefore you depend on outlets like Rivals & MaxPreps to tell you what you need to know.

Urbana, Douglass-PG and Westlake are good to very good football programs in the state of MD. They are definitely better than MD Christian and the Canada team CHC played this season. CHC will play a much improved schedule this season with a regional power or two as well as a local HS "program". You still probably won't give Donald Davis any credit but everybody on this board knows how irrational you are when it comes to football: There's Gilman and then there's everyone else.

BTW if MiddletownKnight has any pull, he can pass on to the Middletown HC that CHC has a potential opening in week #9 next season. He should call Davis to see if the two schools can schedule a game.

Your arrogance about Gilman football is based on the fact that Biff throws his $$$ around in other ways besides tuition assistance. There is good football being played on the public school level. The difference between you and I is that I go to watch the publics play. You have no first hand knowledge therefore you depend on outlets like Rivals & MaxPreps to tell you what you need to know.

Urbana, Douglass-PG and Westlake are good to very good football programs in the state of MD. They are definitely better than MD Christian and the Canada team CHC played this season. CHC will play a much improved schedule this season with a regional power or two as well as a local HS "program". You still probably won't give Donald Davis any credit but everybody on this board knows how irrational you are when it comes to football: There's Gilman and then there's everyone else.

BTW if MiddletownKnight has any pull, he can pass on to the Middletown HC that CHC has a potential opening in week #9 next season. He should call Davis to see if the two schools can schedule a game.

Potential opening Week 9? Isn't that when CHC played Gilman this year? I know with the end of the playoffs everyone will have to find an extra regular season game, but I assume the MIAA will just shift the schedule around or plug St. Frances into the hole so that nobody has openings this late in the season because virtually everyone is locked into league play by Week 6.

As an aside, I heard CHC offered to play Fort Hill and FH declined.

Potential opening Week 9? Isn't that when CHC played Gilman this year? I know with the end of the playoffs everyone will have to find an extra regular season game, but I assume the MIAA will just shift the schedule around or plug St. Frances into the hole so that nobody has openings this late in the season because virtually everyone is locked into league play by Week 6.

As an aside, I heard CHC offered to play Fort Hill and FH declined.

In 2011 CHC played Gilman in week 5. This season they played in week 8. There seems to be no set schedule for MIAA football games except for the McD/Gilman or CHC/Loyola games.

As for the proposed Fort Hill game, the Cumberland 1A power didn't have any interest in tangling with CHC. With only 32 or so players I guess they figured it wouldn't be a wise scheduling choice. I still remember the team with the Clay brothers that gave Dunbar all they could handle in 2011. They were talented. How the mighty have fallen. Fort Hill, Hereford and Eastern Tech are all shadows of their former selves.

Btw, CHC's schedule is now complete.

I didn't watch the publics play this year, because really didn't have much interest in them this year. Wanted to see Franklin play because of the speed and talent I knew they had. But thought they would have gotten further in the playoffs. I got my fill of be publics at the City-Poly game.

Biff is a philanthropist, he gives his money to many things. He's a good man. The Gilman program has a lot of people behind it besides Biff though. And kids and their families are banging down the doors more than ever trying to get into the school.

If CHC is actually scheduling regional powers, I would be very impressed. Like I said though, I will believe it when I see it.

In 2011 CHC played Gilman in week 5. This season they played in week 8. There seems to be no set schedule for MIAA football games except for the McD/Gilman or CHC/Loyola games.

As for the proposed Fort Hill game, the Cumberland 1A power didn't have any interest in tangling with CHC. With only 32 or so players I guess they figured it wouldn't be a wise scheduling choice. I still remember the team with the Clay brothers that gave Dunbar all they could handle in 2011. They were talented. How the mighty have fallen. Fort Hill, Hereford and Eastern Tech are all shadows of their former selves.

Btw, CHC's schedule is now complete.

Public school success is very cyclical. Those teams above will show well once again in the near future.

Once again GA shows his one dimensional side. When you only know one thing, you really can't talk intelligently about anything else. No credibility.

Once again GA shows his one dimensional side. When you only know one thing, you really can't talk intelligently about anything else. No credibility.

I thought Guru told you before that you shouldn't talk football? You arm to keep talking about thugs you do not know. I have seen more area football in my life than you have ever dreamed of seeing. So I know fully of what I speak. Just sit back and read and let the big boys talk football.

I thought Guru told you before that you shouldn't talk football? You arm to keep talking about thugs you do not know. I have seen more area football in my life than you have ever dreamed of seeing. So I know fully of what I speak. Just sit back and read and let the big boys talk football.

If you've seen so much football, why do you only talk about Gilman? Oh, because you say that's what you know, ooh. One track mind can't talk anything else. Maybe we should set up a time to meet in person? That will solve everything right?