Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OriginalColtsFan

Norv Turner reportedly will be gone from SD (along with AJ Smith)...

Fire Cam and Hire Norv -- Yes or No?   8 members have voted

1. 1. Fire Cam and Hire Norv -- Yes or No?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

29 posts in this topic

It's interesting that the article cites "fan unrest" as one of the factors in Spanos's decision to fire AJ Smith. Who SAYS fans' opinions don't count?!!!

I voted no. Norv Turner has been a mediocre head coach for so long that I don't know if he could return to being a successful OC.

Redskins: 49-59-1

Raiders: 9-23

Chargers: 53-38 (32-16 first 3 years after inheriting 14-2, 21-22 since)

I voted no. Norv Turner has been a mediocre head coach for so long that I don't know if he could return to being a successful OC.

Redskins: 49-59-1

Raiders: 9-23

Chargers: 53-38 (32-16 first 3 years after inheriting 14-2, 21-22 since)

One's really got nothing to do with the other. (I'd cite Rex as a perfect example: balls to the wall DC; pretty crappy HC. Maybe Nolan as well. And Singletary. The positions are so different, really.)

But the more I read, the more I'm hearing that Turner, like Billick at Minny, was "great" because the talent was so top tier it could have been coached by a Gatorade bucket and STILL been great. That's more on target, and definitely something to consider.

He is an excellent OC. He just has no leadership abilities. His X's and O's have even been decent while his teams were sucking. AJ smith apparently needed Butler to make good moves.
I'm hearin mixed messages as far as Turner's abilities as OC. He sure didn't bring Rivers along, that's for sure. Rivers regressed.

I'm hearin mixed messages as far as Turner's abilities as OC. He sure didn't bring Rivers along, that's for sure. Rivers regressed.

The talent around Rivers regressed causing his regression, I want Turner here dammit, don't ruin this man LOL. If Turner was just the OC in San Diego he wouldn't have as much on his plate, obviously he can't handle being a head coach and offensive coordinator.

The talent around Rivers regressed causing his regression, I want Turner here dammit, don't ruin this man LOL. If Turner was just the OC in San Diego he wouldn't have as much on his plate, obviously he can't handle being a head coach and offensive coordinator.
LOL. And clearly their GM screwed the pooch and caused players to abandon ship/sign elsewhere, so yeah...it's a total Titanic out there; it's not all Norv's fault. And at the very least, he's an upgrade, even if he is off the Air Coryell tree like Cameron. I doubt that as an OC he'd be anywhere near as big a Richard Cranium as Cammyboy.

The REAL question is...

will Bisciotti force Harbaugh's hand to pull the plug -- finally -- on Cameron.

Wow. For those of you who just can't get enough of Cam Cameron...just feast on this presser.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/videos/videos/Presser_Cameron_We_To_Convert_On_3rd_Down/cfd6662d-1b6a-4a35-9aa8-03b1eed8035c

(Personally...I found it to be the longest 8:07 of my LIFE!!)

He's STILL harping on "Execution". He NEVER takes responsibility for his crappy play calling. Look at how many other teams convert on third down BY USING THE MIDDLE OF THE FIELD. But those softball reporters never ask the right/hard questions. They ask questions like: "How does it feel to have two speedsters like Jones and Smith?" Wow. How do you THINK it feels. Move on and ask a REAL question!

smh

LOL. And clearly their GM screwed the pooch and caused players to abandon ship/sign elsewhere, so yeah...it's a total Titanic out there; it's not all Norv's fault. And at the very least, he's an upgrade, even if he is off the Air Coryell tree like Cameron. I doubt that as an OC he'd be anywhere near as big a Richard Cranium as Cammyboy.

The REAL question is...

will Bisciotti force Harbaugh's hand to pull the plug -- finally -- on Cameron.

There is a reason why AJ Smith is referred to as the "Lord with No Rings". Norv just has a better feel for the game and doesn't let his ego get in the way. Rivers is big reason why Turner was brought back this year, they like Norv in general but he sucks as a head coach. I know the Ravens players don't like Cameron, I just don't feel that "we will run through a wall for him" type of connection. Norv is more player friendly and would be a breath of fresh air for Joe. When I think of Norv I think of Wade Phillips, not a great leader of men but a great defensive coordinator.

There is a reason why AJ Smith is referred to as the "Lord with No Rings". Norv just has a better feel for the game and doesn't let his ego get in the way. Rivers is big reason why Turner was brought back this year, they like Norv in general but he sucks as a head coach. I know the Ravens players don't like Cameron, I just don't feel that "we will run through a wall for him" type of connection. Norv is more player friendly and would be a breath of fresh air for Joe. When I think of Norv I think of Wade Phillips, not a great leader of men but a great defensive coordinator.
I agree. I just don't understand how you can say you like Harbaugh, when HARBAUGH is the one who is responsible for Cameron still being here. Man...it just doesn't make any sense. :mad:

I agree. I just don't understand how you can say you like Harbaugh, when HARBAUGH is the one who is responsible for Cameron still being here. Man...it just doesn't make any sense. :mad:

I don't like the fact that he continues to support Cameron but I'm not going to dislike him overall for that. I like him in general but there are things he can do better that can help him become a true top notch coach. If you don't like him that's fine with me but I'm not all the way with you on that one, Cameron we definitely agree there.

I don't like the fact that he continues to support Cameron but I'm not going to dislike him overall for that. I like him in general but there are things he can do better that can help him become a true top notch coach. If you don't like him that's fine with me but I'm not all the way with you on that one, Cameron we definitely agree there.
It's Cameron; it's Pees; it's (formerly) Mattison; it's Moeller. Look...those choices have seriously hurt the team, and continue to hurt the team. And that doesn't even factor in his HORRIBLE game management, his dog house, his driving players away (Barnes, etc.). Added all up, that's just not a top tier Super Bowl caliber Head Coach, as far as I'm concerned. The guy ROUTINELY gets outcoached way more than he outcoaches anyone else. It just doesn't add up to a winner. My 2 cents. (So what do you LIKE about him? His pressers? His locker room rah rah speeches? His hair?)

;)

It's Cameron; it's Pees; it's (formerly) Mattison; it's Moeller. Look...those choices have seriously hurt the team, and continue to hurt the team. And that doesn't even factor in his HORRIBLE game management, his dog house, his driving players away (Barnes, etc.). Added all up, that's just not a top tier Super Bowl caliber Head Coach, as far as I'm concerned. The guy ROUTINELY gets outcoached way more than he outcoaches anyone else. It just doesn't add up to a winner. My 2 cents. (So what do you LIKE about him? His pressers? His locker room rah rah speeches? His hair?)

;)

I have no defense for the OC. :(:mad:

But on the defensive side, what's Harbaugh on, his 4th coordinator in 5 years? Rex was already here, but he left for a HC position. Mattison sucked, but was replaced by Pagano. Pagano left for a HC position, so now we have Pees. That's a lot of turnover.

Why are the Steelers one of the best defenses every single year? Because old man Lebeau isn't leaving.

I have no defense for the OC. :(:mad:

But on the defensive side, what's Harbaugh on, his 4th coordinator in 5 years? Rex was already here, but he left for a HC position. Mattison sucked, but was replaced by Pagano. Pagano left for a HC position, so now we have Pees. That's a lot of turnover.

Why are the Steelers one of the best defenses every single year? Because old man Lebeau isn't leaving.

Uhm...you are aware that Mike Nolan was available, aren't you? Look at the job he's doing for Atlanta. It's choices, man. And Harbaugh keeps making the wrong choices, based on the wrong criteria. His false sense of loyalty is killing the team's chances for greatness. It's that simple. HE'S the head coach; he's responsible. And the truth is...he's clueless.

Uhm...you are aware that Mike Nolan was available, aren't you? Look at the job he's doing for Atlanta. It's choices, man. And Harbaugh keeps making the wrong choices, based on the wrong criteria. His false sense of loyalty is killing the team's chances for greatness. It's that simple. HE'S the head coach; he's responsible. And the truth is...he's clueless.

Hindsight and what not. ;)

Nolan was already here as DC so I don't know if that had anything to do with it. He's another Baltimore DC who left to be a head coach. But with a top, yet aging defense and 3 DCs in 3 years, it's not easy to always make the right choices.

Hindsight and what not. ;)

Nolan was already here as DC so I don't know if that had anything to do with it. He's another Baltimore DC who left to be a head coach. But with a top, yet aging defense and 3 DCs in 3 years, it's not easy to always make the right choices.

If it were just one issue or one choice, that'd be one thing. But there's a pattern here. At least I see one. And it ain't pretty.

B)

If it were just one issue or one choice, that'd be one thing. But there's a pattern here. At least I see one. And it ain't pretty.

B)

I'll give him the benefit for now. If the Ravens don't win a Superbowl and Cam remains as OC, I believe my opinion will finally change.

;)

Finally!!!! Spot on!

;)

I don't necessarily like Harbuagh's rah-rah, mighty men approach, I think it's a little too high school/college for me. But I don't think he's a bad coach. He's been to 4 straight playoffs and 2 of the 4 years to the AFCC game. He can't run out and kick the ball for Cundiff, and he can't scream at Flacco from the sidelines to somehow get a clue that this is the NFL and people are going to knock the ball out from behind him. What he can do is end his allegiance to Cameron and get rid of him. Other than that, he has a team with a slightly above average QB, a mediocre O-line, receivers that continually get no separation, a secondary that sucks, and a D-line that gets little pressure on the opposing QB. The best weapon on his team is Ray Rice and his OC refuses to strap it on his back and use him to the max. All in all, to be 9-3 with the talent he has is a pretty good testimony to his ability to prepare a team. The Raven's aren't going to the superbowl this year, but even if Vince Lombardi was their coach they wouldn't be going with all of their flaws.

Wow. For those of you who just can't get enough of Cam Cameron...just feast on this presser.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/videos/videos/Presser_Cameron_We_To_Convert_On_3rd_Down/cfd6662d-1b6a-4a35-9aa8-03b1eed8035c

(Personally...I found it to be the longest 8:07 of my LIFE!!)

He's STILL harping on "Execution". He NEVER takes responsibility for his crappy play calling. Look at how many other teams convert on third down BY USING THE MIDDLE OF THE FIELD. But those softball reporters never ask the right/hard questions. They ask questions like: "How does it feel to have two speedsters like Jones and Smith?" Wow. How do you THINK it feels. Move on and ask a REAL question!

smh

They're afraid to "offend" because if they do, they will be ostracized by the "thin-skinned" coaching staff of the Ravens. Preston comes to mind. Have you noticed how when he grades the coaching staff this year, he rarely ruffles any feathers.

I loved Cam's response when asked why Ray Rice did not touch the ball in the 4th Qtr. Just kept talking about "opportunities" and "we have to convert more third downs," but not once did he mention the play calling, not once. Don't you see, this coaching staff is doing a dynamite job; not their fault. It's all about execution. The players just aren't executing.

Wouldn't you like to be there and ask, "Your play calling seems to be too predictable at times. How do you respond to that criticism?"

Or this. "Is there a reason we don't do more over the middle?

You will never hear questions like this asked at these pressers because all they are doing is going through the motions. After all, if you step on a few feet, you might find your next visit to the complex a bit unnerving.

They're afraid to "offend" because if they do, they will be ostracized by the "thin-skinned" coaching staff of the Ravens. Preston comes to mind. Have you noticed how when he grades the coaching staff this year, he rarely ruffles any feathers.

I loved Cam's response when asked why Ray Rice did not touch the ball in the 4th Qtr. Just kept talking about "opportunities" and "we have to convert more third downs," but not once did he mention the play calling, not once. Don't you see, this coaching staff is doing a dynamite job; not their fault. It's all about execution. The players just aren't executing.

Wouldn't you like to be there and ask, "Your play calling seems to be too predictable at times. How do you respond to that criticism?"

Or this. "Is there a reason we don't do more over the middle?

You will never hear questions like this asked at these pressers because all they are doing is going through the motions. After all, if you step on a few feet, you might find your next visit to the complex a bit unnerving.

Your press privileges at the Kastle might suddenly be "revoked".