18 replies to this topic

#1 Gizmo

Gizmo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,359 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:35 PM

Link to story

What happened to 25mill/7 or even 25mill/8?

Has the market interest dropped off that much?

If 20-25mill per for 3 years is realistically being discussed for Hamilton, I would seriously be interested if I were O's management. The potential reward is worth the risk, imo. Of course, as I have said previously, it isn't my money that's going to be spent. ;)

#2 douglas tomlinson

douglas tomlinson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:41 PM

seriously, $30M/3yr would be a deal for the Os. If he hits infront of Weiters it would push Weiters performance higher, pitchers would want to throw to him instead of Hamilton. The renewed interest in the team would almost shut yankee and red sox fans out of the stadium.

#3 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,376 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:46 PM

seriously, $30M/3yr would be a deal for the Os. If he hits infront of Weiters it would push Weiters performance higher, pitchers would want to throw to him instead of Hamilton. The renewed interest in the team would almost shut yankee and red sox fans out of the stadium.

No player is worth $30 million.

#4 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,896 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:54 PM

He's too much of a risk. 3 years sounds about right.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#5 Gizmo

Gizmo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,359 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:00 PM

He's too much of a risk. 3 years sounds about right.

I agree with you. The 7 or 8 years that was talked about a few months ago was way too much of a risk, even for me who would love to have him on the team.

At 3 or even 4 years though, I'm more than willing to take that risk.

#6 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,376 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:05 PM

I agree with you. The 7 or 8 years that was talked about a few months ago was way too much of a risk, even for me who would love to have him on the team.

3 years at 20-25 is worth the risk. Beyond that, no.

#7 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,896 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:16 PM

He is such a sad story.
Any day, I would want him on my team more than Barry Bonds, but Bonds was way more reliable.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#8 Aclobat

Aclobat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:30 AM

3 years would be great.

#9 RIKMAN

RIKMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,927 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:12 AM

Using a successful organization's strategy

Wrong player...wrong price. Hamilton has too many questions at that price.
Baltimore Sports fan since 1965!:cool:

Confusing the delusional with fact since 2005!

#10 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,852 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:23 AM

as we know from his camp, Hamilton was expecting several teams to line up with their 7-8 yr offers. that didn't happen. and know his former team is holding off on re-signing him, because they feel strongly that they can get Upton.

it looks like none of the big spenders are all that interested in him. it will be interesting to see where he lands.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#11 atomic

atomic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:58 PM

No player is worth $30 million.

No player is worth 2 million. But heck Nate Mcclouth gets paid that much. Crazy.

#12 atomic

atomic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:59 PM

3 years at 20-25 is worth the risk. Beyond that, no.

I think even at 3 years you need something in the contract that says if he fails a drug test the contract is void.

#13 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,852 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:11 PM

I think even at 3 years you need something in the contract that says if he fails a drug test the contract is void.

I disagree. the guy has serious addiction issues, but since his return to MLB it hasn't stopped him from being among the top players in the league.

he's probably going to slip up and drink or use, he has since he's been w/ TX. I don't think a person should be thrown away so easily.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#14 johnpolitics

johnpolitics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,244 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:59 PM

He is high risk, high reward. Less risk for 3 years.

#15 Byng

Byng

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,317 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:16 PM

Part of the reason that the bottom is falling out of the Hamilton market is that his agent has supposedly offered the Rangers a chance to match any offer for the outfielder.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. Jacques Yves Cousteau.

#16 kudzu

kudzu

Significant Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,203 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:35 PM

If there's any justice in the universe, Hamliton will sign a minor league deal with an invite to spring training.

#17 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56,917 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:18 PM

Angelos isn't signing anyone for 20M per. Have you people not been paying attention for the last decade?
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#18 atomic

atomic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:42 PM

I disagree. the guy has serious addiction issues, but since his return to MLB it hasn't stopped him from being among the top players in the league.

he's probably going to slip up and drink or use, he has since he's been w/ TX. I don't think a person should be thrown away so easily.

So you don't mind if in the middle of this year he gets suspended for a year for being on drugs. And then we can't get anyone to replace him because he is still owed a ton of money when he comes back.

He was recently drinking in bar with girls and asking where he could get coke. To me with out some sort of clause to get you out of he goes on drugs you are just throwing your money away. if he thinks he can stay off the drugs he won't have any problem signing such a contract.

really i don't want josh hamilton on the team. he is an accident waiting to happen. lets try not to bring trouble to town.

#19 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,852 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:09 PM

So you don't mind if in the middle of this year he gets suspended for a year for being on drugs. And then we can't get anyone to replace him because he is still owed a ton of money when he comes back.

no, I wouldn't mind at all. it would be kinda cool if that happened, because it would make him a uniquely colorful player.

I bet you weren't expecting me to say that, were you :D

I'm not keen on the idea of adding JH either. he comes with too many questions, I just don't think his addictions are chief among them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users