Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cealex1223

Reynolds to Indians

40 posts in this topic

I liked Mark and think he was a good guy who gave his all, but this doesn't bother me too much. I do hope we have a plan other than to stick Davis at 1st fulltime, though.

I was a huge critic of MR but I was very impressed by his play and first base and his late season offense. I have to think that expecting him to deliver that kind of performance next year would not be very realistic. I hope that there is a better option available.

Thanks Reynolds and best wishes.

I would not be surprised to see Davis at 1st and Reimold as the Middle of the order bat playing DH and platooning in Left Field unless something better is picked up in trade which I tend to doubt. If we trade for a Middle Order bat then DH is going to be awfully crowded with Davis, Reimold and McLouth all wanting to be every-day players, in some shape or form.

But why wouldn't the O's have wanted him back for $6mil for one year? That sounds perfect.

I would not be surprised to see Davis at 1st and Reimold as the Middle of the order bat playing DH and platooning in Left Field unless something better is picked up in trade which I tend to doubt. If we trade for a Middle Order bat then DH is going to be awfully crowded with Davis, Reimold and McLouth all wanting to be every-day players, in some shape or form.

Reimold and McLouth can want to be everyday players all they want, they'll have to suck it up and deal with it, especially Reimold. He's lucky to have a job. Davis is the only one with a legit gripe about playing time.

I think they're in love with Davis. I wonder if they would have stuck with him if Reynolds hadn't been on the team and making so much money.

But why wouldn't the O's have wanted him back for $6mil for one year? That sounds perfect.

It's 6mill plus incentives, which could easily push it close to 7mill or more (that's just a guess as I do not know what those incentives are). There are many, including me, who think that his deficiencies just aren't worth that kind of money, even for someone who really liked the guy personally, as I did.

Thanks Mark for all you did and best of luck.

I think they're in love with Davis. I wonder if they would have stuck with him if Reynolds hadn't been on the team and making so much money.

And while they are in love with Davis (1B), they are clearing playing time for the other guy they love (Reimold LF)...I guess we should trust these guys, everything they touched turned to gold last year. We'll see.

It's the O's

It's 6mill plus incentives, which could easily push it close to 7mill or more (that's just a guess as I do not know what those incentives are). There are many, including me, who think that his deficiencies just aren't worth that kind of money, even for someone who really liked the guy personally, as I did.

Did you know Mark Reynolds personally? I heard a rumor that he has a few warts.

1 year 6 million? Boy that's cheap, I guess they just didn't want him. Understandable, before that spree he went on in September he did very little all year at the plate.

Mixed feelings.

Hated his strikeouts, loved his play at first.

this sums it up for me too.

I guess they looked at the Ks and the fact that Davis is basically the same hitter, and decided they didn't need both guys.

Davis being a lefty who hits for a higher average is probably a plus in his column. If they could just get him to stop chasing breaking stuff down and in. I couldn't believe some of the garbage he K'd on in the ALCS.

1 year 6 million? Boy that's cheap, I guess they just didn't want him. Understandable, before that spree he went on in September he did very little all year at the plate.

I have a suspicion this will come back to bite us in the arse

Has Youkoulis signed? Nevermind, this the O's....

I've been a Reynolds fan but if they have a plan other than Davis, I'd like to see it.

Not to be obvious, but you're only paying the incentives if he performs well enough to earn them. So if he's playing better than last year, you still wouldn't pay him that?

I'd be curious to know what the incentives were that he has to reach. As long as it's not at-bats, he should have to improve on last year to get them.

Not to be obvious, but you're only paying the incentives if he performs well enough to earn them. So if he's playing better than last year, you still wouldn't pay him that?

I'd be curious to know what the incentives were that he has to reach. As long as it's not at-bats, he should have to improve on last year to get them.

Roch is reporting that the incentives he has to meet could pay him a further $1.5m that would allow him to equal the money he received from the O's last year.

Roch is also suggesting that the Orioles have shed 259 of their 1,315 strikeouts with the departures of Reynolds (159) and Robert Andino (100) and thinks that may have been part of the off-season plan all along which is why no negotiations with Reynolds took place.

Roch is also suggesting that the Orioles have shed 259 of their 1,315 strikeouts with the departures of Reynolds (159) and Robert Andino (100) and thinks that may have been part of the off-season plan all along which is why no negotiations with Reynolds took place.

that makes sense. that's part of improving any team.

Lol...yeah, not my most logical post ever.

Like others, I am torn on this a little bit. However, all things considered, I just don't think this is a bad move for a team that is (hopefully) trying to improve. I just don't have confidence that he is going to be substantially different than he was last year.

Because he was a replacement level player. You don't pay 6 million for league minimum production.

Because he was a replacement level player. You don't pay 6 million for league minimum production.

Adam Dunn 2011, 11 hrs. Adam Dunn 2012, 41 hrs. Just sayin'

I'm sorry to see him go. He had a rough time, defensively and offensively, the first part of last season, but the move to first base led to great improvement. (Yes, I think that if a player is struggling defensively, it can affect his offense, and vice versa.) I'm not that concerned about K's; they're better than GIDP's, and he got his share of walks. I look for a bounceback year in 2013. Cutting down on K's may have cost him HR's, but I think he was adjusting in the second half of the season so that his power numbers were returning. My personal theory is that DD is making an ego move to show that he's boss by releasing a productive, popular -but not dominating- player.

PS Hector, I think his warts had something to do with being separated at birth

from Vlad. Just sayin' :)