• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 cealex1223

cealex1223

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:25 PM

Well, I guess there must be a plan? Davis? Free Agent? Trade?

#2 Gizmo

Gizmo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,377 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:35 PM

I liked Mark and think he was a good guy who gave his all, but this doesn't bother me too much. I do hope we have a plan other than to stick Davis at 1st fulltime, though.

#3 demopublican

demopublican

If Partisans Call Me Names I am Winning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,555 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:36 PM

I was a huge critic of MR but I was very impressed by his play and first base and his late season offense. I have to think that expecting him to deliver that kind of performance next year would not be very realistic. I hope that there is a better option available.
Thanks Reynolds and best wishes.
"Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that." — Steve Earle.

Disclaimer: I hate the Democrats and the Republicans but I am a registered Democrat. That way I can vote against O'Malley more often.

#4 Byng

Byng

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,317 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:57 PM

I would not be surprised to see Davis at 1st and Reimold as the Middle of the order bat playing DH and platooning in Left Field unless something better is picked up in trade which I tend to doubt. If we trade for a Middle Order bat then DH is going to be awfully crowded with Davis, Reimold and McLouth all wanting to be every-day players, in some shape or form.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. Jacques Yves Cousteau.

#5 jordan77

jordan77

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:10 PM

But why wouldn't the O's have wanted him back for $6mil for one year? That sounds perfect.

#6 jordan77

jordan77

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:13 PM

I would not be surprised to see Davis at 1st and Reimold as the Middle of the order bat playing DH and platooning in Left Field unless something better is picked up in trade which I tend to doubt. If we trade for a Middle Order bat then DH is going to be awfully crowded with Davis, Reimold and McLouth all wanting to be every-day players, in some shape or form.

Reimold and McLouth can want to be everyday players all they want, they'll have to suck it up and deal with it, especially Reimold. He's lucky to have a job. Davis is the only one with a legit gripe about playing time.

#7 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,899 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:15 PM

I think they're in love with Davis. I wonder if they would have stuck with him if Reynolds hadn't been on the team and making so much money.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#8 Gizmo

Gizmo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,377 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:19 PM

But why wouldn't the O's have wanted him back for $6mil for one year? That sounds perfect.

It's 6mill plus incentives, which could easily push it close to 7mill or more (that's just a guess as I do not know what those incentives are). There are many, including me, who think that his deficiencies just aren't worth that kind of money, even for someone who really liked the guy personally, as I did.

Thanks Mark for all you did and best of luck.

#9 cealex1223

cealex1223

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:10 PM

I think they're in love with Davis. I wonder if they would have stuck with him if Reynolds hadn't been on the team and making so much money.

And while they are in love with Davis (1B), they are clearing playing time for the other guy they love (Reimold LF)...I guess we should trust these guys, everything they touched turned to gold last year. We'll see.

#10 Joy in Mudville

Joy in Mudville

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,959 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:45 PM

Mixed feelings.

Hated his strikeouts, loved his play at first.

#11 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,141 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:02 AM

It's the O's
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#12 hector

hector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,451 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:34 AM

It's 6mill plus incentives, which could easily push it close to 7mill or more (that's just a guess as I do not know what those incentives are). There are many, including me, who think that his deficiencies just aren't worth that kind of money, even for someone who really liked the guy personally, as I did.

Did you know Mark Reynolds personally? I heard a rumor that he has a few warts.

#13 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,435 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:08 AM

1 year 6 million? Boy that's cheap, I guess they just didn't want him. Understandable, before that spree he went on in September he did very little all year at the plate.

#14 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,904 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:50 AM

Mixed feelings.

Hated his strikeouts, loved his play at first.

this sums it up for me too.

I guess they looked at the Ks and the fact that Davis is basically the same hitter, and decided they didn't need both guys.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#15 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,435 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:18 AM

Davis being a lefty who hits for a higher average is probably a plus in his column. If they could just get him to stop chasing breaking stuff down and in. I couldn't believe some of the garbage he K'd on in the ALCS.

#16 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,141 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:24 AM

1 year 6 million? Boy that's cheap, I guess they just didn't want him. Understandable, before that spree he went on in September he did very little all year at the plate.

I have a suspicion this will come back to bite us in the arse
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#17 RIKMAN

RIKMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,927 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:41 AM

Has Youkoulis signed? Nevermind, this the O's....

I've been a Reynolds fan but if they have a plan other than Davis, I'd like to see it.
Baltimore Sports fan since 1965!:cool:

Confusing the delusional with fact since 2005!

#18 jordan77

jordan77

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:02 AM

Not to be obvious, but you're only paying the incentives if he performs well enough to earn them. So if he's playing better than last year, you still wouldn't pay him that?

I'd be curious to know what the incentives were that he has to reach. As long as it's not at-bats, he should have to improve on last year to get them.

#19 Byng

Byng

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,317 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:23 AM

Not to be obvious, but you're only paying the incentives if he performs well enough to earn them. So if he's playing better than last year, you still wouldn't pay him that?

I'd be curious to know what the incentives were that he has to reach. As long as it's not at-bats, he should have to improve on last year to get them.

Roch is reporting that the incentives he has to meet could pay him a further $1.5m that would allow him to equal the money he received from the O's last year.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. Jacques Yves Cousteau.

#20 Byng

Byng

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,317 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:29 AM

Roch is also suggesting that the Orioles have shed 259 of their 1,315 strikeouts with the departures of Reynolds (159) and Robert Andino (100) and thinks that may have been part of the off-season plan all along which is why no negotiations with Reynolds took place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users