• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 ajc54terp

ajc54terp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:35 PM

I'm seeing on the rumor mill you guys are interested in him, if you put him at first or DH, you will get alot of production out of him. He hits for power and average, great club house guy. I will be sad to see him go.

#2 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,487 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:43 PM

as with any discussion of an O's trade, I ask the standard question. what trade chips do the O's have?

Bundy & Gausman are untouchable. who else is there of any real value that the team will give up for a 1 year rental? (I think Morse is a FA after this season)
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#3 Brohan

Brohan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,920 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:49 PM

as with any discussion of an O's trade, I ask the standard question. what trade chips do the O's have?

Bundy & Gausman are untouchable. who else is there of any real value that the team will give up for a 1 year rental? (I think Morse is a FA after this season)

What team would expect real value for a player who will be a 1 year rental? :rolleyes:

#4 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,487 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:58 PM

What team would expect real value for a player who will be a 1 year rental? :rolleyes:

then why trade him?

he's a power bat off the bench that can be used as a DH during interleague games. DC expects to make the WS this year. depth on the bench is often a very important variable to a playoff contender.

I can't understand trading him for a bag of balls, and the O's don't have much more to offer than that.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#5 ajc54terp

ajc54terp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:17 PM

then why trade him?

he's a power bat off the bench that can be used as a DH during interleague games. DC expects to make the WS this year. depth on the bench is often a very important variable to a playoff contender.

I can't understand trading him for a bag of balls, and the O's don't have much more to offer than that.

The article I read on my csn app, said the nats don't expect equal value because teams know they want to get rid of him, they expect maybe a AAA pitcher or something along those lines, and no I don't think they think they can get bundy or gausman.

The reason they are looking to trade him, is because they hope to resign Laroche, and there is no longer a spot for him in the outfield, where he is a liability defensively, his best spot is 1B. Plus with Tyler Moore having such a good year, who also naturally plays 1B they don't want Morse to hold him back, and Moore is a little more fleet of foot in the OF than Morse is, and they need to replenish the pitching depth they have traded away for Gio and Span.

#6 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,487 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:20 PM

The article I read on my csn app, said the nats don't expect equal value because teams know they want to get rid of him, they expect maybe a AAA pitcher or something along those lines, and no I don't think they think they can get bundy or gausman.

The reason they are looking to trade him, is because they hope to resign Laroche, and there is no longer a spot for him in the outfield, where he is a liability defensively, his best spot is 1B. Plus with Tyler Moore having such a good year, who also naturally plays 1B they don't want Morse to hold him back, and Moore is a little more fleet of foot in the OF than Morse is, and they need to replenish the pitching depth they have traded away for Gio and Span.

I mentioned Bundy & Gausman as a context to the lack of depth in the O's farm system. I still don't understand just trying to move him for anything they can get.

but that's why I'm not a GM

#7 durango46

durango46

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,955 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:23 PM

Bring him in....

Offensively speaking he's better than Reynolds. Who else would the Orioles cheapass ownership spend on ? see last 10 years

what do the Nats need ? I know it isn't starting pitching ;)

#8 hector

hector

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,905 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:59 PM

I mentioned Bundy & Gausman as a context to the lack of depth in the O's farm system. I still don't understand just trying to move him for anything they can get.

You should be a GM - the bar isn't that high.

#9 durango46

durango46

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,955 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:19 PM

You should be a GM - the bar isn't that high.

same goes for you Hector

and your fetish for Vlad

#10 ajc54terp

ajc54terp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:14 AM

I think they are thinking along the lines of maybe arrieta or matusz, someone they can stow away down in syracuse and bring up if there are injury problems in the starting rotation, they let Lannan go. If they resign Laroche, they have Moore and The Shark as backups in the OF and Cory Brown if need be, and they have Lombo to back up at 2nd with Espinosa able to play 2nd or SS if Desmond go's down and throw in Chad Tracy, there bench is fine without Morse, but there starting depth is not.

#11 ajc54terp

ajc54terp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:21 AM

Bring him in....

Offensively speaking he's better than Reynolds. Who else would the Orioles cheapass ownership spend on ? see last 10 years

what do the Nats need ? I know it isn't starting pitching ;)

I say why not, he's costing 6.75 for one year. I understand why the nats are doing it, but I will miss him. He keeps everybody loose in the clubhouse and the guy can hit, and he was originally a SS with the mariners, his glove is good, just not much range because he is so big, that's why he is better off at 1B then he is the OF, not to mention you can DH him if need be.

#12 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,487 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:25 AM

I think they are thinking along the lines of maybe arrieta or matusz, someone they can stow away down in syracuse and bring up if there are injury problems in the starting rotation, they let Lannan go. If they resign Laroche, they have Moore and The Shark as backups in the OF and Cory Brown if need be, and they have Lombo to back up at 2nd with Espinosa able to play 2nd or SS if Desmond go's down and throw in Chad Tracy, there bench is fine without Morse, but there starting depth is not.

I'd be fine with Arrieta or Matusz for Morse, but the O's won't let go of those guys. for some reason they see them as something more than they are. management was really impressed with both of them in the BP. I'd take his bat over a specialty pitcher (which is all they're good for, if that).

#13 hector

hector

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,905 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:14 PM

same goes for you Hector

and your fetish for Vlad

When did admiring a player's ability turn into a fetish? Is that the nature of your "affection" for the players you "admire?"

As to the qualifications for GM, there's no doubt that I and several others on this board could do as well as the so-called baseball people that populate many front offices. Most of them are "go along to get along" lemmings that are utterly incapable of an original thought.

#14 durango46

durango46

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,955 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:37 PM

When did admiring a player's ability turn into a fetish? Is that the nature of your "affection" for the players you "admire?"

As to the qualifications for GM, there's no doubt that I and several others on this board could do as well as the so-called baseball people that populate many front offices. Most of them are "go along to get along" lemmings that are utterly incapable of an original thought.

admiring ones ability is one thing

posting everyday about the same guy and multiple times in a day is well sir....over the top....hence the term "fetish".
Seriously bro you need to move past him.

#15 hector

hector

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,905 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:30 PM

admiring ones ability is one thing

posting everyday about the same guy and multiple times in a day is well sir....over the top....hence the term "fetish".
Seriously bro you need to move past him.

It became difficult to remain silent when the O's signed the likes of Betemit, Nick J and Jim Thome to replace the Impaler. It took the O's front office until July to understand that a fulltime DH is OK. They should have listened more closely last March.

Am I "sir" or "bro?" Sir is probably more appropriate.

#16 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,188 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:31 AM

It became difficult to remain silent when the O's signed the likes of Betemit, Nick J and Jim Thome to replace the Impaler. It took the O's front office until July to understand that a fulltime DH is OK. They should have listened more closely last March.

Am I "sir" or "bro?" Sir is probably more appropriate.

Since you use wins to determine a player's value (Prince Fielder), the Orioles won 24 more games without Vlad.

#17 hector

hector

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,905 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:49 AM

Since you use wins to determine a player's value (Prince Fielder), the Orioles won 24 more games without Vlad.

Ivanbalt, I fear that you have misunderstood the basis for my extremely well thought out opinion. Let me simplify it for you.

I use team wins as a measure of the value of a premium price free agent because presumably a team pays the premium price to take the team up a level or two. Therefore, I think team wins is an appropriate measure of the value of premium free agents like Fielder, Pujols, Adrian Gonzalez, Carl Crawford, etc.

I don't use team wins as a measure for the rest of the players because they're being paid salaries similar to what most other teams play for their players. There's no significant pay premium for this group of players therefore individual performance rather than team wins is a more reasonable measure for non-premium pay players.

Using your extremely flawed thinking, I assume you'd give the likes of Nick Johnson, Wilson Betemit and Jim Thome credit for the O's dramatic improvement in total wins in 2012. I trust you will agree that would be silly. The main reasons for the O's improvement were: (1) I predicted it so it was pre-ordained; and (s) DD set and enforced high expectations.

#18 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,188 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:54 AM

Ivanbalt, I fear that you have misunderstood the basis for my extremely well thought out opinion. Let me simplify it for you.

I use team wins as a measure of the value of a premium price free agent because presumably a team pays the premium price to take the team up a level or two. Therefore, I think team wins is an appropriate measure of the value of premium free agents like Fielder, Pujols, Adrian Gonzalez, Carl Crawford, etc.

I don't use team wins as a measure for the rest of the players because they're being paid salaries similar to what most other teams play for their players. There's no significant pay premium for this group of players therefore individual performance rather than team wins is a more reasonable measure for non-premium pay players.

Using your extremely flawed thinking, I assume you'd give the likes of Nick Johnson, Wilson Betemit and Jim Thome credit for the O's dramatic improvement in total wins in 2012. I trust you will agree that would be silly. The main reasons for the O's improvement were: (1) I predicted it so it was pre-ordained; and (s) DD set and enforced high expectations.

The Orioles won 24 more games without Vlad. Spin it any way you please.

#19 weenie

weenie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:34 AM

then why trade him?

Trades can materialize in spite of limited chips. Hardy for Jacobson and Hoey is an example of that. Morse is not unlike Hardy. But, the minors are not completely barren of talent outside of Gausman/Bundy. Schoop, Delmonico and Britton/Arrieta/Matusz/Johnson together could attract a second tier power hitter.

The problem is the O's have limited minor league depth and both Schoop (2B) and Delmonico (3rd) are the only legit infield prospects at their positions. That's what you get when you focus on arms for several McFail years and only give bats an afterthought.

#20 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,487 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:40 AM

DD set and enforced high expectations.

you're absolutely right. and the 1st example, of his new philosophy in practice, is that an $8M slap hitting DH, who can't hit in the clutch, and can't play a defensive position, will no longer be tolerated on this team.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users