Laroche vs. a draft pick

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,960 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:48 AM

It seems the O's are willing to give AR the money and contract length he's looking for, but they can decide if they should sacrifice their 1st round draft choice for him (25th pick over all).

We know they want to build from within, but they're looking at a magical alignment of the stars where they have a competitive team and an uncharacteristically soft division. I'll trade a draft choice for another trip to the post season. in Baltimore, 1st round picks come every year. the playoffs only come 'round once every decade+

that makes the playoffs more special.

rare/special > annual/usual

no matter who they select with that 25th pick, it will take him at least 4 years to make it to the big club. conservatively speaking, it will probably take another year (or 2) for that player to really have an impact on the team. will the O's be competitive in 4 years? if not, they lost a chance at the post season now and in 4 years.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#2 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,559 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:00 AM

Good chance that any player selected by the Orioles would be a bust anyway.

#3 Gizmo

Gizmo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,381 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:05 AM

I would give up the 25th pick in the draft for Laroche in a heartbeat. No brainer imo. The time to win is now. Which is why we should have thrown caution to the wind and signed Hamilton. Sometimes you just gotta say what the F***. :D

Of course, this is the O's, so Laroche will probably flop so bad we will be screaming for Nick Johnson to come back, and that 25th pick will turn into a top 5 player all time. :(

Yes on Laroche.

#4 Aclobat

Aclobat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:07 PM

What gives you that idea?..........

#5 hector

hector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,023 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:33 PM

It seems the O's are willing to give AR the money and contract length he's looking for, but they can decide if they should sacrifice their 1st round draft choice for him (25th pick over all).

We know they want to build from within, but they're looking at a magical alignment of the stars where they have a competitive team and an uncharacteristically soft division. I'll trade a draft choice for another trip to the post season. in Baltimore, 1st round picks come every year. the playoffs only come 'round once every decade+

no matter who they select with that 25th pick, it will take him at least 4 years to make it to the big club. conservatively speaking, it will probably take another year (or 2) for that player to really have an impact on the team. will the O's be competitive in 4 years? if not, they lost a chance at the post season now and in 4 years.

Why give up anything for a mediocrity like Laroche? The O's can put Davis at 1B and he'll outproduce what Laroche may bring. Also, the conventional wisdom last year among many (myself excluded) was that the trio of Nick Johnson, Betemit and later Thome could cover DH very well. As it turns out, the "wisdom" turned out to be something else but there are very few that possess the skill and intelligence to accurately predict the future.

The O's go 84-78 next year and miss the playoffs while the Red Sox make the playoffs.

#6 Softbank Orioles

Softbank Orioles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,621 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:46 PM

Why give up anything for a mediocrity like Laroche? The O's can put Davis at 1B and he'll outproduce what Laroche may bring. Also, the conventional wisdom last year among many (myself excluded) was that the trio of Nick Johnson, Betemit and later Thome could cover DH very well. As it turns out, the "wisdom" turned out to be something else but there are very few that possess the skill and intelligence to accurately predict the future.

The O's go 84-78 next year and miss the playoffs while the Red Sox make the playoffs.

Its not about Davis or LaRoche. They are going to be in the lineup at the same time. Unless you think Betemit and Valencia will out perform Adam.

#7 atomic

atomic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:50 PM

I don't think the pick matters that much and I believe it is the 24th. From 1991 until now two players picked with that pick have done anything in the majors: Chad Billingsly and Joe Blanton. I feel if you think Laroche will help your club then sign him. Otherwise don't sign him.

#8 ajc54terp

ajc54terp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:51 PM

Hector, hector, hector...while I agree davis might be an offensive equal to Laroche...he doesn't even come close defensively, not to mention you would have both in the lineup, nats had him for 2 years, 1st year he barely played, 2nd year he made the whole defensive so much better. I hope you don't sign him I want him to stay a nat

#9 Gizmo

Gizmo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,381 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:52 PM

:rolleyes:

Hector, if the Red Sox make the playoffs next year over the O's, I will personally send you a case of whatever it is an old timer like you drinks. Red Sox making the playoffs ain't happening.

Edited to add: What terp said, especially about them both being in the line-up at the same time. But not what he said about him staying a nat :).

#10 ajc54terp

ajc54terp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:03 PM

Hector, if the Red Sox make the playoffs next year over the O's, I will personally send you a case of whatever it is an old timer like you drinks. Red Sox making the playoffs ain't happening.

Edited to add: What terp said, especially about them both being in the line-up at the same time. But not what he said about him staying a nat :).

Haha, just give us arieta for morse and call it a day..;)

#11 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,960 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:33 PM

metamucil and water
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#12 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,960 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:37 PM

Why give up anything for a mediocrity like Laroche? The O's can put Davis at 1B and he'll outproduce what Laroche may bring.

No problem. it's a defensive downgrade, but I'm o.k. with that decision. so who should they bring in to DH?

Also, the conventional wisdom last year among many (myself excluded) was that the trio of Nick Johnson, Betemit and later Thome could cover DH very well.

I don't remember anyone saying this. can you provide a post from anyone?

#13 Aclobat

Aclobat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:40 PM

Also, the conventional wisdom last year among many (myself excluded) was that the trio of Nick Johnson, Betemit and later Thome could cover DH very well.

Im pretty sure everyone here wanted them to jump off of a cliff.

#14 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,559 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:11 PM

No problem. it's a defensive downgrade, but I'm o.k. with that decision. so who should they bring in to DH?

I don't remember anyone saying this. can you provide a post from anyone?

If you didn't want Vlad on the team you officially supported Nick Johnson as fulltime DH.

#15 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,657 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:20 PM

Markakis, Weiters, Bundy , and Machado say HI
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#16 Aclobat

Aclobat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:33 PM

Billy Rowell, Brandon Snyder, Matt Hobgood, Mike Paradis, Adam Loewen, and Beau Hale say HI

i know im missing a few

#17 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,559 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:10 PM

Still too early on Bundy/Machado although Machado was an instant Orioles success since he could actually field at 3rd. Markakis and Weiters have been successful no doubt. Weiters didn't live up to the hype, but most catchers don't hit the triple crown every year. :D

But come on, Orioles didn't have much to show for 14 years of suck.

#18 hector

hector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,023 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:10 PM

Thanks, a case of good scotch would be fine. A case might last a week.

#19 hector

hector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,023 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:16 PM

Im pretty sure everyone here wanted them to jump off of a cliff.

That certainly became the case a couple months into the season. The perceptive (that would be me) saw it coming BEFORE the season and urged that the Impaler be brought back. Being the strong person that I am, I bore the harsh comments from the less well informed and was amused by what eventually became their disdain for Nick J and Betemit.

#20 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,908 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:54 PM

To me, this would be the year that you have to sacrifice.
A 25th pick has value, but it would make more sense for them to attack the international market harder to get what they need.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users