Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jessup270

Flacco expresses confidence that deal will get done

60 posts in this topic

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-joe-flacco-expresses-confidence-contract-will-eventually-get-done-20121219,0,1559612.story

If I was this guy I would be hoping that the Ravens even offer me a contract, any contract, much less thinking I deserved a lucrative deal.

If Flacco had the franchise tag applied next season, would the Ravens still be able to trade him? It would be great to have some really low round draft picks again.

...If I was this guy I would be hoping that the Ravens even offer me a contract, any contract, much less thinking I deserved a lucrative deal...

Wow...

In all seriousness... he's been in the league 5 years now. He's been the QB for a team that has made 5 straight playoff appearances. He's never missed a game. Overall, if we can possibly see the big picture, he's been a "plus" player at the position who has protected the ball well (current 3 game stretch aside). He's never said or done anything on or off the field that caused the organization any consternation. He's led an offense that was maybe a dumb personal foul away from a SB appearance ('08), maybe a dropped TD pass away from another AFC title game ('10), and definitely a dropped TD pass away from a SB appearance ('11). He's not Brady or Manning. But you know what... the next round of Brady / Manning contracts will exceed Brees' standard setting deal. Joe's probably not going to get there, but he will certainly get a very, very nice deal from someone... by any possible standard.

I get the new-found desire to forget all his accomplishments... but in reality, there's no way to justify nor even think that he's not going to get a "lucrative deal" from SOMEONE. 27 / 28 years old with all he's done. The fact that he's not one of the top 3 or 4 QBs in the league doesn't mean he's not going to be very well compensated.

wow...

In all seriousness... He's been in the league 5 years now. He's been the qb for a team that has made 5 straight playoff appearances. He's never missed a game. Overall, if we can possibly see the big picture, he's been a "plus" player at the position who has protected the ball well (current 3 game stretch aside). He's never said or done anything on or off the field that caused the organization any consternation. He's led an offense that was maybe a dumb personal foul away from a sb appearance ('08), maybe a dropped td pass away from another afc title game ('10), and definitely a dropped td pass away from a sb appearance ('11). He's not brady or manning. But you know what... The next round of brady / manning contracts will exceed brees' standard setting deal. Joe's probably not going to get there, but he will certainly get a very, very nice deal from someone... By any possible standard.

I get the new-found desire to forget all his accomplishments... But in reality, there's no way to justify nor even think that he's not going to get a "lucrative deal" from someone. 27 / 28 years old with all he's done. The fact that he's not one of the top 3 or 4 qbs in the league doesn't mean he's not going to be very well compensated.

very well put i must say

Wow...

In all seriousness... he's been in the league 5 years now. He's been the QB for a team that has made 5 straight playoff appearances. He's never missed a game. Overall, if we can possibly see the big picture, he's been a "plus" player at the position who has protected the ball well (current 3 game stretch aside). He's never said or done anything on or off the field that caused the organization any consternation. He's led an offense that was maybe a dumb personal foul away from a SB appearance ('08), maybe a dropped TD pass away from another AFC title game ('10), and definitely a dropped TD pass away from a SB appearance ('11). He's not Brady or Manning. But you know what... the next round of Brady / Manning contracts will exceed Brees' standard setting deal. Joe's probably not going to get there, but he will certainly get a very, very nice deal from someone... by any possible standard.

I get the new-found desire to forget all his accomplishments... but in reality, there's no way to justify nor even think that he's not going to get a "lucrative deal" from SOMEONE. 27 / 28 years old with all he's done. The fact that he's not one of the top 3 or 4 QBs in the league doesn't mean he's not going to be very well compensated.

all very true, but sometimes it comes to a point where you just don't think the guy is ever going to get over the hump and it may be time to re-tool.

all very true, but sometimes it comes to a point where you just don't think the guy is ever going to get over the hump and it may be time to re-tool.

The Ravens could probably get Sanchez on the cheap if the Jets are willing to take a huge hit in the salary cap. Acquiring him would definitely meet the re-tooling requirements. Who knows? The Jets may even trade Sanchez for Flacco straight up. A win-win! Championship!

The Ravens could probably get Sanchez on the cheap if the Jets are willing to take a huge hit in the salary cap. Acquiring him would definitely meet the re-tooling requirements. Who knows? The Jets may even trade Sanchez for Flacco straight up. A win-win! Championship!

ozzie needs to ask for Tebow as well...I mean Tebow did beat the steelers in the playoffs.....

Wow...

totally spot on.....

Overall, if we can possibly see the big picture, he's been a "plus" player at the position who has protected the ball well (current 3 game stretch aside).

Protected the ball well??? His combined fumbles and INT's is 102. Touchdown passes 100

Did any of the people who want Flacco gone consider the fact that the Ravens have two games left and Flacco could actually turn things around therefore making you look foolish for wanting him gone? If you think he can't lets remember his "mediocre" performance against Houston in the playoffs where fans, the media and Ed Reed picked on him the week prior to the AFC Title game, the result of the unfair beating : outplayed Brady in the AFC Title game and was dropped pass away from the Superbowl. The same clowns who want him gone won't even be on this board if Flacco plays well and the Ravens win on Sunday, it would be no point for you to come on here since you want Flacco to fail so that the Ravens can get Alex Smith? LOL

That says he has 97 TO. I still count the times he fumbled but we recovered. He needs to hold on the ball more and have a better pocket presence. I dont think anyone WANTS him to fail. I think we expected him to improve this year and he hasnt. Part of the problem is I think Torrey Smtih hasnt played well this year either. Receivers are dropping easy balls. QB's need to get in a rhythm, he cant get in that rhythm and maybe he doesnt trust his receivers anymore and he is forcing the ball. Maybe it was because of Cam. But he certainly didnt play well against Denver. One game is hardly enough with a new OC. I think these last games will determine what type of contract he gets. If he plays ok, they franchise him. If he plays really well, he gets the big contract. If he plays poorly they might let him walk.

That says he has 97 TO. I still count the times he fumbled but we recovered. He needs to hold on the ball more and have a better pocket presence. I dont think anyone WANTS him to fail. I think we expected him to improve this year and he hasnt. Part of the problem is I think Torrey Smtih hasnt played well this year either. Receivers are dropping easy balls. QB's need to get in a rhythm, he cant get in that rhythm and maybe he doesnt trust his receivers anymore and he is forcing the ball. Maybe it was because of Cam. But he certainly didnt play well against Denver. One game is hardly enough with a new OC. I think these last games will determine what type of contract he gets. If he plays ok, they franchise him. If he plays really well, he gets the big contract. If he plays poorly they might let him walk.

Here are this year stats of a few quarterbacks - USING YOUR NUMBERS

Philip Rivers 15 int, 15 fumbles

Griffin only 4 int, 11 fumbles

Jay Cutler 14 int, 7 fumbles

Romo 16 int 6 fumbles

Manning 15 int, 5 fumbles

Freeman 14 int 7 fumbles

Flacco 10 int, 8 fumbles

Fitzgerald 15 int, 7 fumbles

Rodgers (the best) 8 int 4 fumbles

Brees 18 int, 5 fumbles

Cam Newton 10 int, 10 fumbles

Sanchez 17 int, 12 fumbles

Vick 9 int, 10 fumbles In only 9 games

Luck 18 int, 10 fumbles (he gets a pass IMO because he is a rookie)

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/byposition

Are you really going to say that Flacco stands out as a turnover machine? While I agree he has not been playing well recently, he is not that much different from the rest of the league when it comes to turnovers.

If they can get Flacco signed to a long term deal that is reasonable to both sides that would be great.One that won't cause them to be pressed up against the cap limit for the foreseeable future.This team is going to have a slew of holes to fill next offseason because Lewis,Reed,Birk,McKinnie and Boldin are going to hang around as long as they are willing to pay them regardless of how badly their skills have deteriorated.The Defense is in shambles, and the OL is a mess and unless we're willing to watch them struggle for the next three or four seasons they need some cap space in order to lure some young quality FA's.Every offseason we get the same spiel about how they have no cap space so they have to try to scavenge players who have been discarded by other teams and sign them on the cheap.Every now and then it works out, but more often than not they end up getting what they paid for.They also need to start getting better dividends out of the draft because they last few have pretty much sucked.

I'll be honest the Defense was always my favorite part of the team and I had pretty much grown accustomed to the Offense sucking.Seeing the defensive unit take the pipe week after week has been the most difficult part of the season to digest.No matter how badly the Offense sucked we could always count on the D to at least keep them close and now we can't even count on that.

They need flexibility,but when they allocate half their cap space to a handful of players their hands are pretty much tied and their options become fewer and fewer.

The arguments are probably futile. Flacco is likely going to be franchised. The Ravens are going to lose in the playoffs and Biscotti is not going to pay the money that Flacco and his agent want. They also are not letting him walk. There isn't a better option. Flacco will be here next year, and what he does then will help decide his future going forward. His problem, as well as the Ravens is that they have been exposed with a lot of holes that need filling and that is not going to be easy. The O-line is a mess, the defense is also a mess. All of it can't be rebuilt in one season. The Ravens are either going to have to decide to take a leap of faith on Flacco or decide to rebuild it all. Given their history on QB's, they are probably better signing Flacco and hoping they can rebuild the rest around him in time to be a true contender before his career is up.

If they can get Flacco signed to a long term deal that is reasonable to both sides that would be great.One that won't cause them to be pressed up against the cap limit for the foreseeable future.This team is going to have a slew of holes to fill next offseason because Lewis,Reed,Birk,McKinnie and Boldin are going to hang around as long as they are willing to pay them regardless of how badly their skills have deteriorated.The Defense is in shambles, and the OL is a mess and unless we're willing to watch them struggle for the next three or four seasons they need some cap space in order to lure some young quality FA's.Every offseason we get the same spiel about how they have no cap space so they have to try to scavenge players who have been discarded by other teams and sign them on the cheap.Every now and then it works out, but more often than not they end up getting what they paid for.They also need to start getting better dividends out of the draft because they last few have pretty much sucked.

I'll be honest the Defense was always my favorite part of the team and I had pretty much grown accustomed to the Offense sucking.Seeing the defensive unit take the pipe week after week has been the most difficult part of the season to digest.No matter how badly the Offense sucked we could always count on the D to at least keep them close and now we can't even count on that.They need flexibility,but when they allocate half their cap space to a handful of players their hands are pretty much tied and their options become fewer and fewer.

The problem the Ravens got themselves into is that they held on to their icons for too long. Ray Lewis was ready to test free agency a few years ago, nobody, not even Rex, was willing to bite. The Ravens paid him more than he was worth back then. They also compensated Reed nicely. They would have been better off letting them walk a little before their time was up then sticking with them to the end. The fans would have had a problem, but with their drafting and scouting ability, they might have still had a pretty good defense at this point. Now, they have two aging veterans who look every bit of it and they have no replacements for them in sight. At some point you have to cut emotions out of the picture and replace the older guys with new young talent.

The problem the Ravens got themselves into is that they held on to their icons for too long. Ray Lewis was ready to test free agency a few years ago, nobody, not even Rex, was willing to bite. The Ravens paid him more than he was worth back then. They also compensated Reed nicely. They would have been better off letting them walk a little before their time was up then sticking with them to the end. The fans would have had a problem, but with their drafting and scouting ability, they might have still had a pretty good defense at this point. Now, they have two aging veterans who look every bit of it and they have no replacements for them in sight. At some point you have to cut emotions out of the picture and replace the older guys with new young talent.
You can say that again! +1

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-joe-flacco-expresses-confidence-contract-will-eventually-get-done-20121219,0,1559612.story

If I was this guy I would be hoping that the Ravens even offer me a contract, any contract, much less thinking I deserved a lucrative deal.

If Flacco had the franchise tag applied next season, would the Ravens still be able to trade him? It would be great to have some really low round draft picks again.

Flacco's not going anywhere

Sanchez sucks, why do you want him here instead of Flacco?

It's so hard to tell sometimes without the icon
LOL. Definitely sarcasm. NC has been in Joe's corner and has been trying to figure out why some posters are talking about bringing in QBs who aren't even at Joe's level.

Wow...

Everything you said makes perfect sense.

The problem the Ravens have is cap space.

They paid BIG cap money to Ngata, Rice, R. Lewis and E. Reed and several other current players.

The Ravens have to pay 42 players, they can't tie up a major chunk of their cap space on a handful of players.

The NFL expert in keeping the salary cap under control is Bellichek. He seems to have an uncanny knack to know when to release veteran players who are no longer productive.

The NFL expert in keeping the salary cap under control is Bellichek. He seems to have an uncanny knack to know when to release veteran players who are no longer productive.

The Patriots team philosophy is basically Tom Brady and some other guys. And it works for them since Brady is one of the best ever, plus they never have to worry about competition in the division.