Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GREYHOUND ALUM

Gilman's Hank Poggi Named To USA Today's All American Team!

10 posts in this topic

Wow this is huge! Hank was named 1st team defense and was the only Maryland player to make the team. He had an outstanding year. Also congrats to him being named Defensive POY this year for Maryland. Great player that will have a great career at Michigan. Gilman will miss him big time next year.

ALL-USA Team - First Team Defense

Su'a Cravens** | DB | 6-1, 205 | Vista Murrieta (Murrieta, Calif.) | Southern California

Had 97 tackles (47 solo), four interceptions (three for touchdowns), eight sacks, and three blocked punts (two for touchdowns). Playing offense part-time, ran for six touchdowns and had 26 catches for eight touchdowns.

Jabril Peppers* | DB | 6-1, 210 | Paramus Catholic (Paramus, N.J.) | Undecided

Had 76 tackles. Also ran for 18 touchdowns and caught five touchdown passes on offense.

Marlon Humphrey* | DB | 6-1, 175 | Hoover, Ala. | Undecided

Son of Alabama great Bobby Humphrey had four interceptions and averaged 40 yards on kickoff returns. Had 15 pass breakups, two blocked punts and a key interception in state championship win.

Vernon Hargreaves III | DB | 5-11, 185 | Wharton (Tampa, Fla.) | Florida

Had 110 tackles (70 solo), five interceptions, five pass breakups, five forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries).

Reuben Foster | LB | 6-2, 228 | Auburn ( Ala.) | Undecided

Had 80 tackles and five sacks.

Peter Kalambayi | LB | 6-3, 238 | Butler (Matthews, N.C.) | Stanford

Led team, which allowed only nine points per game, to state 4AA title. Had 12 tackles in title game.

Jaylon Smith | LB | 6-3, 212 | Bishop Luers (Fort Wayne, Ind.) | Notre Dame

Won Butkus Award as top high school linebacker. Won state title every year while at Luers.

Andrew Brown* | DL | 6-4, 292 | Oscar Smith (Chesapeake, Va.) | Undecided

Led team to 11-2 record and Eastern Division title game with 82 tackles, 12 tackles for loss and four forced fumbles.

Montravius Adams | DL | 6-3, 290 | Dooly County (Vienna, Ga.) | Undecided

Led team to Class A state title game.

Robert Nkemdiche | DL | 6-5, 260 | Grayson (Loganville, Ga.) | Undecided

Led defense that allowed only 11 points a game. Had 59 tackles (26 solo), 12 tackles for loss and seven sacks.

Dee Liner | DL | 6-2, 274 | Muscle Shoals (Ala.) | Auburn

Had 76 tackles (55 solo) and 18 tackles for loss. Had one blocked punt. Helped team allow only 8.6 points per game.

Henry Poggi | DL | 6-4, 260 | Gilman (Baltimore) | Michigan

Had 87 tackles, including 31 for loss, and 16.5 sacks.

Hank is showing out at the Under Armour practices this week. A lot of people tried to call him over rated but I think has dispelled those talks. He's definitely an elite player and will play immediately at Michigan. This is the write up on his performance this week, was picked as the top DT this week at practices!

Defensive Tackle

Henry Poggi, Baltimore (Md.) Gilman

While the defensive ends have received the majority of the attention, and for good reason, a trio of defensive tackles have stood out led by Michigan commit Poggi. The 6-foot-3, 260-pounder has proven to be too quick for any centers when lining up over the ball, and also shown a technically advanced use of his hands and the understanding of when to get small.

I heard he was overrated all year, that his props came from his daddy. Well, to me 1st team USA Today says it all as well as 87 tackles, 31 tackles for loss and 16.5 sacks. Legit. How many 1st team AA's have we had in Md recently. Not Jones or Jennings, maybe Diggs or Big Cyrus K. Help me out

I heard he was overrated all year, that his props came from his daddy. Well, to me 1st team USA Today says it all as well as 87 tackles, 31 tackles for loss and 16.5 sacks. Legit. How many 1st team AA's have we had in Md recently. Not Jones or Jennings, maybe Diggs or Big Cyrus K. Help me out

Henry also played very well in the Under Armour game. I definitely think he has proven that it wasn't hype, he will play a lot at Michigan.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that Diggs didn't make 1st Team according to USA Today. Big Cyrus did. He is actually a Bigger National Recruit than Darius or Jones. Gilman is definitely churning them out these days. Wil have another big recruit in Melvin Keihn and Troy Vincent next year. But I think they could have two 5 stars in the Class of 2016 with Ellison Jordan having a chance to be the best ever at the school.

A special shout out to Cyrus Jones for bringing the National Chanpionship back to Bmore and Gilman! Look for big things next year!!

Henry also played very well in the Under Armour game. I definitely think he has proven that it wasn't hype, he will play a lot at Michigan.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that Diggs didn't make 1st Team according to USA Today. Big Cyrus did. He is actually a Bigger National Recruit than Darius or Jones. Gilman is definitely churning them out these days. Wil have another big recruit in Melvin Keihn and Troy Vincent next year. But I think they could have two 5 stars in the Class of 2016 with Ellison Jordan having a chance to be the best ever at the school.

A special shout out to Cyrus Jones for bringing the National Chanpionship back to Bmore and Gilman! Look for big things next year!!

Jones #22 for Alabama was fro GC? I didn't recognize the name. Where is Jelani Jenkins? Did he graduate? I didn't see Louisville running over him, just his teamates.

Jones #22 for Alabama was fro GC? I didn't recognize the name. Where is Jelani Jenkins? Did he graduate? I didn't see Louisville running over him, just his teamates.

Cyrus Jones #8 for Alabama, from Gilman. Jenkins started for Florida.

you mean cyrus and arie for bringing multiple rings to DM right...lol.. great seeing those kids on that national stage though...still remember coaching aau basketball against cyrus when he was about 11 or 12...(i think charles tapper was on that team also)

suprised kendall fuller wasn't 1st team..he has been a national recruit for what seems like forever...watching that kid was a pleasure...

He just made Maxpreps 2nd Team but in all honesty I don't think he had a great year on defense. Hence why the State gave him offensive player of the year instead of defense. A lot of these Awards go in reputation than on performance. No doubt though that Kendall is the real deal. But he made more plays on offense this year than he did on defense.

Jelani was injured and didnt play