Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

prairieaug

Play them or rest them?

32 posts in this topic

From an article on NFL.com:

Ravens Head Coach John Harbaugh will be faced will an age-old question this week.

Should he rest players in the regular-season finale against the Bengals and get as healthy as possible for the postseason? Or should the Ravens go all out for the win and try to improve their playoff seeding?

Expect some combination of the two approaches.

“The thing we’re going to do for sure is we’re going to try and win the game,” Harbaugh said after Sunday’s win over the Giants. “That’s the No. 1 thing we’re going to do. That’s what we do, and we’re going to try to win the game.

“We’re also going to try and make sure we are as healthy as we can be going into the playoffs. So, I think we’ll merge those two considerations.”

The Ravens are currently the No. 4 seed in the AFC, but they would move up to the No. 3 spot with a win over Cincinnati and a Patriots loss at home to the Dolphins. The Ravens play at 1 p.m. and the Patriots play at 4:25 p.m., so the Ravens won’t have the luxury of knowing the result of the New England game when they take the field.

Having the No. 3 spot would mean the Ravens play the Bengals in Baltimore again in the first round of the playoffs. Finishing with the No. 4 seed would mean that the Colts come to M&T Bank Stadium in the wild-card game.

The benefit to getting the No. 3 seed is that the Ravens would have a better chance to host a second home playoff game in the event that the top two seeds both lose.

The flip side of the equation is that the Ravens are also dealing with a handful of injuries and some players could benefit from an extra week of rest.

Curious to hear what some here think.

you play everyone that is healthy and rest those that are banged up .......

they need to build some momentum ........

don't want to go into the playoffs coming off a poor performance .....

I'm the complete opposite

As banged up as this team is right now being healthy for the playoff is important then winning a somewhat meaningless game IMO.

To me, it's pretty simple. Either put it all in or none. I would hate to see someone like RR or Flacco get injured when guys like Boldin, Suggs, Ray, Pollard Yanda, Ellerbe, Reed, Leach, Dickson and Jimmy Smith all playing with injuries could use the day off.

opinion will be divided on this one and know I won't be changing anyone's and vice versa .......

mine is based on the fact that this is a team with a brand new offensive coordinator just coming off a 3 game losing streak with a win against a mediocre, slumping team ......

they need to get clicking on all cylinders again ....

I think they should approach it like they would the final preseason game. Of course, how the game is going will dictate how it plays out. If for some strange reason, they're blowing the Bengals out by half time, look for the subs to come in across the board in the 3rd quarter. If the game is tight, everyone will play for the duration. You have to be careful offensively because you don't want to disrupt what they had going against New York and build further on Caldwell's input. Personally, I'd rather see them play Indy at home than have to face Cincinnati twice. So, the best of both worlds is for the Ravens and New England to win on Sunday.

Ravens are in a bind on this one.

The Ravens play at 1pm and the Patriots play at 4pm.

If by chance the Patriots lose and the Ravens win, the Ravens move up in the seeding.

It's a no win situation for Harbaugh. If he plays his starters to build momentum going into the playoffs and Flacco gets hurt then how many people on here will be complaining how stupid he is for playing Flacco in a meaningless game? If he sits the starters to get them a little more healthy for the playoffs and Flacco lays an egg then how many people will complain about the need to build momentum going into the playoffs. Tough situation.

Well, I think the Colts are an easier opponent than the Bengals, so they should stick with the 4th seed

I am torn on this as well. Don't want to see them lose momentum, but think the the injured players could benefit from the rest.

Does anyone think Harbaugh would ask for the players input on this tough decision?

I am torn on this as well. Don't want to see them lose momentum, but think the the injured players could benefit from the rest.

Does anyone think Harbaugh would ask for the players input on this tough decision?

The way it works in the Ravens lockerroom is they tell Harbaugh what they want to do.

I get the momentum thing....but what if Cincy beats them ? which is a strong possibility given it's at home and the Ravens won't have everybody at full strength. Then any momentum gained in the Giant blowout would be lost.

Miami isn't going to beat NE anyway so they wouldn't gain anything with the win

this team has way to many injuries not to rest them

my take

Gotta rest them.

I'd have Tyrod Taylor doing options all day and having the Bengals chase him all over the field.

BTW- do we have a third string QB/ Should activate him.

opinion will be divided on this one and know I won't be changing anyone's and vice versa .......

mine is based on the fact that this is a team with a brand new offensive coordinator just coming off a 3 game losing streak with a win against a mediocre, slumping team ......

they need to get clicking on all cylinders again ....

thats a good call throw caution to the wind and get some momentum entering the playoffs

The way it works in the Ravens lockerroom is they tell Harbaugh what they want to do.

Just curious have you ever been in the Ravens locker room or are you just making things up?

Gotta rest them.

I'd have Tyrod Taylor doing options all day and having the Bengals chase him all over the field.

Dennis Dixon is on the practice squad so i don't know if that answers your question or not

If the other 3/4 seed were a weak AFC West winner, like K.C. a few years back, I wouldn't care as much. But there's a very good chance the Pats win round one at home and round two away. As unlikely as it may be, you try to win and hope the Pats get a case of the fumbles. It would suck big time if the Ravens wind up travelling to Foxboro again in late January, knowing you gave away a chance to host the conference title game.

Gotta rest them.

I think Stony Case took my claim ticket at the carwash the other day. He looked limber.... :D

Apparently Dixon ran the option in practice to prep for the skins game. Seems word out of the castle was that he was amazing at it. Let's get hiim in there and run them all over the place at least for the second half.

I know, it's practice, but Dixon did start vs. Ravens in M&T couple years ago and played really well. Still wondering why Tyrod is second string unless it's a money thing.

I'm the complete opposite

As banged up as this team is right now being healthy for the playoff is important then winning a somewhat meaningless game IMO...

Actually, if the Ravens win on Sunday, that will force the Patsies to win their game too in order to stay ahead of the Ravens in the seeding...if the Ravens lose, then it is the Patsies who also can rest their dinged starters.

I believe that the Ravens should play hard and win in order to force the Pats to do the same.

Who knows, should Miami pull an upset and the Ravens have already won, this will have made our game NOT meaningless.

Actually, if the Ravens win on Sunday, that will force the Patsies to win their game too in order to stay ahead of the Ravens in the seeding...if the Ravens lose, then it is the Patsies who also can rest their dinged starters.

I believe that the Ravens should play hard and win in order to force the Pats to do the same.

Who knows, should Miami pull an upset and the Ravens have already won, this will have made our game NOT meaningless.

I'm well aware that we could pass the Pats for the 3 seed. However I don't see the Fish pulling the upset in NE. I also prefer the Colts over the Bengals in the 1st round.

I also prefer getting the walking wounded healed up a bit more for the playoffs. This team is to banged up.

My point is....if Pollard, Boldin, Ray Lewis (who I think really needs to play) and several other starters don't play....I'm resting guys like Flacco and Ray Rice. Any momentum gained by the Giant blowout will be lost if they get beat by the Bengals. Now you've lost to the Bengals and your players still aren't healthy. Just isn't worth it IMO...

Either all in or all out.....just my take though

You play to win the game. In 2007 the Giants with nothing to play for played their last game straight up against the 15-0 Patriots. They lost but the game gave them confidence going into the playoffs.

I'm well aware that we could pass the Pats for the 3 seed. However I don't see the Fish pulling the upset in NE. I also prefer the Colts over the Bengals in the 1st round.

I also prefer getting the walking wounded healed up a bit more for the playoffs. This team is to banged up.

My point is....if Pollard, Boldin, Ray Lewis (who I think really needs to play) and several other starters don't play....I'm resting guys like Flacco and Ray Rice. Any momentum gained by the Giant blowout will be lost if they get beat by the Bengals. Now you've lost to the Bengals and your players still aren't healthy. Just isn't worth it IMO...

Either all in or all out.....just my take though

It is an either-or proposition. If they play and win, and the Patsies lose...then the seedings switch with a second game in Baltimore!

Should the Patsies win, no seed movement, but they might have to play their starters too...

It's a gamble either way but that's why the Ravens didn't hire us!