ALe conversation

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,904 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:40 PM

it's slow right now, so I'm sharing the smallest of tidbits I'm hearing.

a Boston fan called in to MLB radio. he asked if the Red Sox have done enough to take the east. the hosts said, they haven't done enough win the east, or to take over the O's. their opinion is that Boston's pitching has several ?. they commented that the O's are solid because only 2 O's players had, what could be considered, career years: J. Johnson and AJ, and they quickly followed up that AJ is probably still getting better. they also said Chen gives no reason to doubt his ability to do as well next year as he did in 2012.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#2 Rael

Rael

Rational member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,794 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:09 PM

I'd say both Tillman and Hammel had career years although Tillman really only had a half year and you could argue that he is young and just starting even though it seems like he has been around for awhile now.
Pessimism is just an ugly word for 'pattern recognition'.

#3 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,899 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:47 PM

Career years are only for those that have had an established path in their careers. Hammel could be put in that category, but the real reason he had better success was due to his better fastball/sinker combo, which he could repeat. He was also broke for a large part of the season.
Tillman hasn't had a career.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#4 SNAFU

SNAFU

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

Dammit, I was looking for a good ale! :D I actually thought this would be an ALe conversation!
I don't have an 'ignore' list. I don't need no stinkin' list to remind me who I've ignored! I ignore the old-fashioned way.

#5 kudzu

kudzu

Significant Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,291 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:27 PM

The Red Sox are in trouble.

The best they can do is fight the O's for 4th in 2013.

#6 hector

hector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,451 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:28 AM

The Red Sox are in trouble.

The best they can do is fight the O's for 4th in 2013.

The Red Sox win the AL East next year for two rather obvious reasons. First, they have sufficient talent and second, it's their make-up year for having quit in 2012.

You're right about the O's though - they go 84-78 and finish in 4th place.

#7 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,904 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:46 AM

The Red Sox win the AL East next year for two rather obvious reasons. First, they have sufficient talent and second, it's their make-up year for having quit in 2012.

You're right about the O's though - they go 84-78 and finish in 4th place.

so far, you and Kevin Millar are the only 2 people who share this opinion. and he feels this way because of his connection to the team. it's more like he wants Boston to with, rather than truly believes they will win the division.

in order for Boston to win the division, they need all their pitchers, and most of their players to return to their career best performance levels. while that's not impossible, it's never happened before, so the odds are against them.

you have Boston winning the division, and although you haven't put a firm win total to that prediction, we know it usually takes 95-ish wins to accomplish that. that means Boston needs to gain 26 more wins this season. you've predicted the O's to lose 9 more games. I don't know if you think Boston will be handing all 9 of those loses to them, but if you do, that means the sox need to pick up 17 more wins. I suppose that means NY will...

wait...you don't actually care about any of this. you just threw out some random numbers during the 2012 season. nevermind
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#8 hector

hector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,451 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:55 AM

so far, you and Kevin Millar are the only 2 people who share this opinion. and he feels this way because of his connection to the team. it's more like he wants Boston to with, rather than truly believes they will win the division.

in order for Boston to win the division, they need all their pitchers, and most of their players to return to their career best performance levels. while that's not impossible, it's never happened before, so the odds are against them.

you have Boston winning the division, and although you haven't put a firm win total to that prediction, we know it usually takes 95-ish wins to accomplish that. that means Boston needs to gain 26 more wins this season. you've predicted the O's to lose 9 more games. I don't know if you think Boston will be handing all 9 of those loses to them, but if you do, that means the sox need to pick up 17 more wins. I suppose that means NY will...

wait...you don't actually care about any of this. you just threw out some random numbers during the 2012 season. nevermind

You haven't been paying attention. Perhaps you've been bangng your helmeted head against the wall too often.

I've already presented the won-loss record for the AL East and here they are again just for you:

Boston 91-71
NY 89-73
Tampa 87-75
O's 84-78
Toronto 72-90

As for 2012, you're acting a bit weird with your comment about the prediction. Mine was 95 and yours was 64. You should try "random" once in awhile. It can only help.

#9 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,904 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:53 AM

You haven't been paying attention. Perhaps you've been bangng your helmeted head against the wall too often.

yeah, I deleted that post. I realized it was too much of a personal insult. but I'm glad you liked it.

as for 2012, you're acting a bit weird with your comment about the prediction. Mine was 95 and yours was 64. You should try "random" once in awhile. It can only help.

whose talking about 2012 predictions?

#10 hector

hector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,451 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

yeah, I deleted that post. I realized it was too much of a personal insult. but I'm glad you liked it.

whose talking about 2012 predictions?

In post 7, you stated: "you just threw out some random numbers during the 2012 season." If not predictions, what are you referencing?

Your memory is starting to fail you. How old are you anyway?

#11 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,904 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

In post 7, you stated: "you just threw out some random numbers during the 2012 season." If not predictions, what are you referencing?

Your memory is starting to fail you. How old are you anyway?

my memory is fine. but your reading comprehension problems, that Ken pointed out to you, continue to be an issue.

here's what I said, "you just threw out some random numbers during the 2012 season."

see? I said during the 2012 season, not about the 2012 season.

the 2012 season (which includes the post-season) was still going when you first posted your O's W-L prediction for the 2013 season.

#12 hector

hector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,451 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

my memory is fine. but your reading comprehension problems, that Ken pointed out to you, continue to be an issue.

here's what I said, "you just threw out some random numbers during the 2012 season."

see? I said during the 2012 season, not about the 2012 season.

the 2012 season (which includes the post-season) was still going when you first posted your O's W-L prediction for the 2013 season.

Good try weird-O. Try loosening your helmet a bit.

#13 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,904 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

Good try weird-O. Try loosening your helmet a bit.

good try?

BTW, using my helmet joke makes you, as they say in the comedy profession, a hack.

if you're going to lift someone else's material, at least be smart enough not to use it on the guy you stole it from.

#14 hector

hector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,451 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:28 PM

good try?

BTW, using my helmet joke makes you, as they say in the comedy profession, a hack.

if you're going to lift someone else's material, at least be smart enough not to use it on the guy you stole it from.

You don't have a monopoly on helmet jokes. Your helmet joke involved playgrounds, walls and helmets and was rather perverse.

Mine only suggested loosening your helmet. I'm much too classy (and humble) to use your helmet joke.

84-78 in 2013.

#15 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,904 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

You don't have a monopoly on helmet jokes. Your helmet joke involved playgrounds, walls and helmets and was rather perverse.

Mine only suggested loosening your helmet. I'm much too classy (and humble) to use your helmet joke.

84-78 in 2013.

Good Try Hector

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users