Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest slapshot

Alabama vs Notre Dame

28 posts in this topic

Getting close.

Can Alabama become the first program to win 3 BCS National Chamionships, to become a "dynasty"? Will they choke, with that much pressure? Clearly, ND has far exceeded everyone's pre/early season expectations, so no pressure on their backs. Should be a great game.

Early spread had Alabama by 8.5, but latest spread I saw was 'Bama by 10pts.

Not to shock the ND faithful, or jinx, but I believe ND can win, or at the very least, cover the current spread.

Getting close.

Not to shock the ND faithful, or jinx, but I believe ND can win, or at the very least, cover the current spread.

Shocked to say the least...:)..we'll be rooting for ND of course. My son managed to get a ticket and is, just slightly ecstatic !

Be back on Tuesday.......;)

Shocked to say the least...:)..we'll be rooting for ND of course. My son managed to get a ticket and is, just slightly ecstatic !

Be back on Tuesday.......;)

Rooting for ND is the lesser of two evils. Somebody needs to deny the SEC another national championship. Would prefer it came from a big ten team, but in place of that, I'll quietly root for the Domers!!:eek::eek:

Something tells me that Notre Dame is going to win this game.

I hope I'm wrong though......

Something tells me that Notre Dame is going to win this game.

I hope I'm wrong though......

DJ -

I was on the otherside of the fence all year long saying that ND was going to lose against X, Y and Z....but some how, they manage to pull it out. They keep surprising folks.

Last time I looked, the spread was Alabama, byt 10pts. But I'm not so sure? I've learned my lesson about betting against them (at least this year).

Arond the Bowl and down the Hole.

Roll Tide Roll.

:D

Coincidetally, there's a guy here at Maryland that's been saying the same thing for the past week. Since he didn't go there, and has no affiliation (ie, no kids go there), I asked him why?

He said it just "sounds cool". ;)

My daughter goes to Ole Miss....it's an SEC thing. She said during game week when they play Bama that is all you hear.

Let the party begin!

Sounds like more Domer fans, than 'Bama fans? :eek:

Alabama 14 - ND 0

6 min left in the 1st.

ND has 'Bama right where they want them...feeling over confident (or not)?:rolleyes:

Alabama 21. - ND 0

Start of 2nd.

Alabama 35 - ND 0, with 7 min remaining in the 3rd.

No mas

Time for the Tide to call off the dogs.

ND - Congrats on a great season, but you now know how OSU fans must have felt going up against a SEC team.

Alabama is just heads and shoulder better than anyone else.

Time we had a college football playoff....tired of watching another stinker of a national championship.

At least ND made it to the championship, and it wasn't a total blow-out, now that would have been embarrassing,:o now to look ahead to next season. :D, and change my focus to basketball for a while.

At least ND made it to the championship, and it wasn't a total blow-out, now that would have been embarrassing,:o now to look ahead to next season. :D, and change my focus to basketball for a while.

Please. :rolleyes:

Ummm, what game were you watching? Are you confusing "blow-out" with "shut-out"? No shut-out, but it was most definitely a blow-out.

But please, don't take my word for it...read just about any news report on the game you want:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/01/07/bcs-championship-notre-dame-alabama/1814443/

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1475339-notre-dame-vs-alabama-crimson-tides-blowout-win-launches-new-dynasty

http://www.wbir.com/news/article/248668/2/Blowout-Alabama-routs-Notre-Dame-for-repeat-BCS-title

http://www.thenewsstar.com/article/20130108/NEWS01/130108001/Blowout-Alabama-routs-Notre-Dame-repeat-BCS-title

Here's my favorite from the Chicago Tribune:

"Notre Dame lays an egg in blowout loss to Alabama"

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-01-08/sports/ct-spt-0108-bcs-haugh--20130108_1_barrett-jones-notre-dame-manti-te-o

This from ESPN. Based on comments from co-workers who looked foward to the game (as did I), but never made it past the 2nd/3rd period, this summarizes it best:

"You could almost hear television sets around the country flipping to other channels, a hugely anticipated matchup between two of the nation's most storied programs reduced to nothing more than the second straight BCS blowout for the Crimson Tide."

If it's any consolation, Michigan lost by almost the same score. B)

Last night was my first time watching Notre Dame play all year by halftime I was asking myself, how in the hell did they get to the championship game? College football needs a playoff in the worst way

Alabama 35 - ND 0, with 7 min remaining in the 3rd.

No mas

Time for the Tide to call off the dogs.

I think the bowls this year were ample proof that the system has failed.

Last night was my first time watching Notre Dame play all year by halftime I was asking myself, how in the hell did they get to the championship game? College football needs a playoff in the worst way

To be fair, they went undefeated, but if you look closer at some of their wins, you find many weren't "quality wins". They won, yes, but not convincingly:

- Purdue, by 3

- Michigan by 7

- Stanford in OT

- BYU by 3

- Pitt in 3OT's

...and ALL of those narrow wins were at home, in SB, Indiana. If they had lost just one of those games, they wouldn't have been playing last night. But it is, what it is.

That said, when we seed the top 4 next year (for the mini-BCS-playoffs), maybe there also should be some consideration made to the quality of wins, and not just the number of wins?

I am a critic of ND, but I'll be honest...they surprised me all season. Even the Championship game was a bit of a shocker to me. I thought ND would show up for this game. At least make it competitive. They didn't. The gametime pt spread was 'bama +9.5pts. Not even close. If you listened to Urban Meyer (at the half), some of the biggest ("glaring") problems he pointed out were just "sloppy" play from ND, from the many missed tackles, to missed assignments in the secondary.

As a poster on ESPN said: "Notre Dame may be on NBC, but they certainly aren't ready for prime time." I thought that was a great line.

To be fair, they went undefeated, but if you look closer at some of their wins, you find many weren't "quality wins". They won, yes, but not convincingly:

- Purdue, by 3

- Michigan by 7

- Stanford in OT

- BYU by 3

- Pitt in 3OT's

...and ALL of those narrow wins were at home, in SB, Indiana. If they had lost just one of those games, they wouldn't have been playing last night. But it is, what it is.

That said, when we seed the top 4 next year (for the mini-BCS-playoffs), maybe there also should be some consideration made to the quality of wins, and not just the number of wins?

I am a critic of ND, but I'll be honest...they surprised me all season. Even the Championship game was a bit of a shocker to me. I thought ND would show up for this game. At least make it competitive. They didn't. The gametime pt spread was 'bama +9.5pts. Not even close. If you listened to Urban Meyer (at the half), some of the biggest ("glaring") problems he pointed out were just "sloppy" play from ND, from the many missed tackles, to missed assignments in the secondary.

As a poster on ESPN said: "Notre Dame may be on NBC, but they certainly aren't ready for prime time." I thought that was a great line.

They also beat Michigan State when they were #10 in the country, Michigan, Oklahoma at Oklahoma, and Stanford. Lets please not pretend as if they didnt play all cupcakes and barely won.

ND looked bad. Manti missed 2 tackles all season and had more missed tackles on first two drives then the previous 12 games. Seemed as if the layoff may have taken some of NDs physicalness away, though Bama was impressive.

I think these blowouts happen due to 6 weeks of not playing real football, that has to stop. Bring on the playoffs.

They also beat Michigan State when they were #10 in the country, Michigan, Oklahoma at Oklahoma, and Stanford. Lets please not pretend as if they didnt play all cupcakes and barely won.

I never said they didn't, now did I? I know who they played, and as per the question that was asked (not by me), "I was asking myself, how in the hell did they get to the championship game?", I simply responded that 5 of their 12 wins were not "quality wins".

By "quality", I didn't mean the opponent, per se, although BYU (lost to anybody that was good), Pitt (finished 3-4 in conf), Purdue (3-5 in confr) and MSU (finished 3-5 in confr) - all finished out of the top 25 (don't care how they were ranked early/mid-season). My reference to "quality" had to do with the margin of victory, and narrowly escaping with the W. So, I'll stand by my statement.

No disrespect to ND. I think they are a good team, and far exceeded anyone's expectations, with, perhaps, those on the team. But clearly, not ready to be in the national championship against a team of Alabama's caliber.

I think these blowouts happen due to 6 weeks of not playing real football, that has to stop. Bring on the playoffs.

I certainly agree. I think most people agree. That said, a similar argument has been used - twice - by OSU fans after their beatdown. It is, what it is.

The lengthy layoff can be used to heal injuries, as well as to get your gameplan all worked out. Or, if not properly utilized by the coaches, 6 weeks of layoff can contibute to a players lack of focus, motivation and laziness. But that's on the coaches. Both teams operate under the same situation.

By "quality", I didn't mean the opponent, per se, although BYU (lost to anybody that was good), Pitt (finished 3-4 in conf), Purdue (3-5 in confr) and MSU (finished 3-5 in confr) - all finished out of the top 25 (don't care how they were ranked early/mid-season). My reference to "quality" had to do with the margin of victory, and narrowly escaping with the W. So, I'll stand by my statement.

I misunderstood your "quality wins" statement. When that is used it mostly relates to the competition because most people think a Win is quality whether you win by 1 or 30 points. By your account Oregon had the most quality wins in the nation, but I am sure they would give up all those "quality wins" for an undefeated season.