• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 durango46

durango46

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,955 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

Jan. 7th and still no FA on the radar....see last year, and the year before and so on....you get my point.

Loshe and LaRoche are still availbale

what about 2nd base ? Is Roberts the plan ? maybe they should have another option on stand by ?

#2 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,830 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

Isn't that why Alexi Casilla was signed?
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#3 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,865 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:11 PM

Isn't that why Alexi Casilla was signed?

it is, but it's been awhile since they acquired him, so he may be getting overlooked. also, they have Flaherty who showed that he is worth consideration. I may be forgetting someone, but I can't think of any FA 2Bmen that would have been worth signing.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#4 LarryN

LarryN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,905 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:41 AM

it is, but it's been awhile since they acquired him, so he may be getting overlooked. also, they have Flaherty who showed that he is worth consideration. I may be forgetting someone, but I can't think of any FA 2Bmen that would have been worth signing.

Not much to choose from on the 2nd baseman free agent list:

http://espn.go.com/m...s/_/position/2b

Alexi Casilla is probably the best DD could do this winter.
"She's like the ex-girlfriend they're SO over, never want to see again, have already forgotten about -- really, it's O-ver -- but they just can't stop talking about her." --- Ann Coulter, discussing Sarah Palin

#5 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,865 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:08 AM

Not much to choose from on the 2nd baseman free agent list:

http://espn.go.com/m...s/_/position/2b

Alexi Casilla is probably the best DD could do this winter.

that's a weak list, I thought Keppinger was worth considering. and given the money he signed for, I still think he was worth it. the rest of that list is slim pickins.

what we see is a team who once again is battling between capitalizing on a good year, and staying with the rebuilding plan. the last time this happened, they chose to stay with the plan. that didn't work out so well. I hope we see different results this time.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#6 hector

hector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,714 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:54 PM

that's a weak list, I thought Keppinger was worth considering. and given the money he signed for, I still think he was worth it. the rest of that list is slim pickins.

what we see is a team who once again is battling between capitalizing on a good year, and staying with the rebuilding plan. the last time this happened, they chose to stay with the plan. that didn't work out so well. I hope we see different results this time.

Not true - Slim Pickens died back in 1983.

#7 durango46

durango46

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,955 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:16 PM

looks like LaRoche is gone

#8 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,842 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

Got to get a big bat, and there is still time for a trade to happen. I feel we can go to war with the O's pitching, especially if they keep Saunders, and maybe even have a young arm or two to invest in such a trade. Maybe they could even offer Hardy, with Machado moving to SS, to make a package for a clean-up hitter 3B? I don't what is out there, but my point is that something can still happen between now and next season. Duquette seems quite deliberate, annoying to fans perhaps, but he could still get it done. I'm hoping still.

#9 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,865 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:01 AM

Got to get a big bat, and there is still time for a trade to happen. I feel we can go to war with the O's pitching, especially if they keep Saunders, and maybe even have a young arm or two to invest in such a trade. Maybe they could even offer Hardy, with Machado moving to SS, to make a package for a clean-up hitter 3B? I don't what is out there, but my point is that something can still happen between now and next season. Duquette seems quite deliberate, annoying to fans perhaps, but he could still get it done. I'm hoping still.

good point, I wonder if DD wasn't riding out the Laroche situation in expectation that he would land back in DC and Morse would become available. he didn't move on Headley last summer, because he was planning on bringing up Manny.

but after so many years of watching the O's do nothing, it's learned behavior for fans to expect that they're not going to do anything now. that's hard to overcome years of reinforcement.

#10 BiggSeth

BiggSeth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,031 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

Ryan Howard from the Phils for 2 pitchers(from a list), Avery and Hoes...
The essence of Freedom is the proper limitation of Government.....

#11 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,865 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

Ryan Howard from the Phils for 2 pitchers(from a list), Avery and Hoes...

there are many obstacles to that proposal. does Philly have a replacement? if not, they won't move him since they're in a win now situation. also, he makes $25/yr for 4 more years. that's pretty much a no go in the law offices of Peter G Angelos. and most importantly, he's a 33 yr old slugger with stats that have declined for 3 years (not including last year where he missed over half the season).

#12 Pickle20

Pickle20

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,285 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:19 AM

This offseason has definitely been uneventful but I don't know what people were expecting. We pretty much know how the Orioles are being run -- they've been run that way for the last 10 years. A playoff appearance isn't going to get the pocketbook jacked open, nor should it.

I'd still like to see them re-sign Saunders and perhaps make a trade to improve the DH position.

#13 durango46

durango46

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,955 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

This offseason has definitely been uneventful but I don't know what people were expecting. We pretty much know how the Orioles are being run -- they've been run that way for the last 10 years. A playoff appearance isn't going to get the pocketbook jacked open, nor should it.

I'd still like to see them re-sign Saunders and perhaps make a trade to improve the DH position.

why is that ?

#14 Pickle20

Pickle20

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,285 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:08 AM

why is that ?

Because this team would have been crippled by signing Josh Hamilton and then having him break down in year 3 of his contract.

I am all for signing the right player at the right price but the Orioles shouldn't and can't become the Angels or Dodgers.

They need to stay the course and build on what got them there last year -- especially what happened in the second half -- pitching, defense and timely hitting.

#15 hector

hector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,714 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

Because this team would have been crippled by signing Josh Hamilton and then having him break down in year 3 of his contract.

I am all for signing the right player at the right price but the Orioles shouldn't and can't become the Angels or Dodgers.

They need to stay the course and build on what got them there last year -- especially what happened in the second half -- pitching, defense and timely hitting.

You're absolutely correct. As things stand now, the O's go 84-78 in 2013 and MISS the playoffs. The only thing that could change that result is if the O's signed a DH who could hit around .290, play fulltime, and possess Hall of Fame credentials.

#16 durango46

durango46

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,955 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

Hamilton may or may not have broken down in year 3. That's pure speculation on your part. I do know this Oriole team as it stands now needs a big bat in the middle of the lineup. Hamilton would have provided that. Possibly giving this team what it needs to get the World Series THIS YEAR.

But let's forget Hamilton.....there are other free agents that could have helped. LaRoche and Loshe are two that could have helped, correct ?

I'm not sure how you could even mention the Orioles becoming anything like Dodgers and Angels ???? And over 1 big signing ?There's absolutely NO CHANCE of that ever happening.
See some of last years free agent signings (position players)....Nick Johnson, Chavez, Bill Hall and Thome. Pete doesn't spend the big bucks on free agents any longer. He won't even spend on middle of the road guys. Low end only.

As for building on the cheap....or from down in our minor leagues....
I happen to feel this team (currently) will regress from last years production and for a couple reasons.
1. Position players on the farm.....can any of them produce now ?
2. If this years offense struggles over long stretches of games like last year it will cost them any chance at the playoffs.
I just can't see them winning so many 1 run games again.

IMO, they need that one big bat at 1B. Davis will struggle defensively at 1st and hopefully that won't carry over to his hitting.

I was never a fan of Reynolds...but as of today...they should have resigned him.
And that pains me to say

#17 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,865 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:36 PM

you don't think a contending team should add an impact player to improve their chances of making to, and going deeper into, the playoffs?

regarding your comments about "the right player at the right price", who did you have in mind?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users