Justin Upton

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,845 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:19 AM

http://www.baltimore...0,1029550.story

this stuff makes me laugh. The D-backs said they're looking for a deal that would include either Machado, Bundy or Gausman. The O's said no to any of those players.

this helps explain why O's fans (on and off this board) are so often suggesting trades that bring top shelf talent to Baltimore while shipping off scraps to the other team. they simply follow the mind set of the team.

what GM thinks he's going to get Upton for the likes of Avery & Hoes (I just threw those names out there).

Upton is under control for 3 years at a very good price. you have to part with talent to get talent in return.

Manny is already here and penciled in at 3B, so I understand not wanting to move him. that just fills one hole by opening another. that's just playing wack a mole and doesn't make sense. And I can see not wanting to move Bundy since he's the most polished pitcher in the system, but you have to expect to move Gausman at the very least.

this team refuses to trade "the future" to win now.

if the future ever got here, I could understand that philosophy. but it never arrives. get Upton, sign Saunders and go after that ring. if Bundy is ready by next year, you can probably make back to back runs at a ring. maybe even 3 in a row.

or you can wait until Bundy and Gausman both come up and become staff leaders, hope that, whenever that happens, Weiters is still a prime catcher, hope Markakis can still play as well as he does now, hope AJ doesn't get injured or slow down in 3-4 years, keep searching for someone to play 1B, pick up another cast off to play 2B etc, etc. :rolleyes:
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#2 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56,894 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

Sounds like business as usual in Birdland
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#3 LarryN

LarryN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,905 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

I wouldn't give up Machado or Bundy. Gausmann, I believe, by rule, is not yet tradable. I'd offer them a package that includes Markakis, though.
"She's like the ex-girlfriend they're SO over, never want to see again, have already forgotten about -- really, it's O-ver -- but they just can't stop talking about her." --- Ann Coulter, discussing Sarah Palin

#4 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,845 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

I wouldn't give up Machado or Bundy. Gausmann, I believe, by rule, is not yet tradable. I'd offer them a package that includes Markakis, though.

me too, but they don't need an outfielder.

I didn't know there were rules about how soon a team can trade a player they signed.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#5 LarryN

LarryN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,905 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:59 PM

I didn't know there were rules about how soon a team can trade a player they signed.

http://en.wikipedia....sactions#Trades

Teams may trade only players currently under contract, except those players who have been drafted in the last year.

Gausmann is untradable until June. Although, technically, I guess he could be a PTBNL:

In some trades, one of the components is a "player to be named later" which usually turns out to be a minor league player. The unnamed player is included as part of a trade when the teams cannot immediately agree on a specific player or when the player is not yet eligible to be traded. In these cases, the player in question must be named within six months.

"She's like the ex-girlfriend they're SO over, never want to see again, have already forgotten about -- really, it's O-ver -- but they just can't stop talking about her." --- Ann Coulter, discussing Sarah Palin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users