Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AntiMoon

LaRoche accepts Nats 2 year offer

26 posts in this topic

::sigh::

That was my reaction as well. If he signed for two years, we could have given him three and had a 30 homer, 100 rbi guy with a gold glove at 1B. This is Bird Land however

That was my reaction as well. If he signed for two years, we could have given him three and had a 30 homer, 100 rbi guy with a gold glove at 1B. This is Bird Land however

he only acheived those numbers once, I wouldn't say that's the type of hitter he is. he would have helped the O's, but no team was willing to give up their draft pick and a 3rd year for a 33 yr old coming off a career year and asking for big money.

what are the odds he does it again in '13 & '14?

I would have been happy to see the O's sign him, but I understand why they didn't. this isn't a no brainer like Prince Fielder.

It was a career in homers but that's it. He's hit 25 plus 5 times in 13 years. This is his 2nd 100 rbi season(most recently in 2010) and he averages around 80 for his career. He signed for 2 years, 24 million. If we added an additional year making it 36 million, who are we going to find better to play 1B at that price?

he only acheived those numbers once, I wouldn't say that's the type of hitter he is. he would have helped the O's, but no team was willing to give up their draft pick and a 3rd year for a 33 yr old coming off a career year and asking for big money.

what are the odds he does it again in '13 & '14?

I would have been happy to see the O's sign him, but I understand why they didn't. this isn't a no brainer like Prince Fielder.

Lots of 'medium' chicks begin to look like super hotties near closing time.

We're so happy for you. :(:(:(

Thank you kindly:D...but to weirdo's point, he is still a risk for injury. However don't underestimate what his glove does for a team, he makes the whole infield better, and if healthy in the nats lineup he will put up another 90 rbi's at least.

Morse is definitely the odd-man out in DC. Any hopes he had of staying in the lineup at 1B are now history.

No DH in NL, he's a prime AL pickup for some team, probably one not run by PA.

It was a career in homers but that's it. He's hit 25 plus 5 times in 13 years. This is his 2nd 100 rbi season(most recently in 2010) and he averages around 80 for his career. He signed for 2 years, 24 million. If we added an additional year making it 36 million, who are we going to find better to play 1B at that price?

I still wouldn't call him a 100 RBI guy. and I still don't think he'll match that offensive production again.

in 2012 (his first full season) Davis matched 25 HR - 85 RBI. but his D is suspect. still, he seems to be regarded as a solid glove at 1B (I've heard that multiple times from national sources). I would call Davis unproven, but this in the Orioles, so exploring the inexpensive alternative is the standing rule.

with all that said, the risk-reward for both players is pretty even.

the real effect is that Davis at 1B means the team has no DH. the team has instantly been weaken by the shift of Betemit from bench jockey to everyday player.

So we're putting Davis at 1b, who's DHing? Vlad?

Great suggestion Ken. I agree with you 100%. It can't hurt to have a certain future Hall of Famer at DH.

So we're putting Davis at 1b, who's DHing? Vlad?

that's the word from Buck. in an interview, he said he called Davis and told him to be prepared to play 1B for the O's this season.

I'm ok wth Davis at 1b although I wonder how well he'll hold up over a season.

That said, I'm not OK with Betemit as a DH/role player. They need an OF/IB/DH type hitter so hopefully they pick up a player by opening day.

I'm ok wth Davis at 1b although I wonder how well he'll hold up over a season.

That said, I'm not OK with Betemit as a DH/role player. They need an OF/IB/DH type hitter so hopefully they pick up a player by opening day.

exactly. if Betemit is their answer, then they aren't serious about going back to the playoffs.

the O's barely sneaked in the playoff door. I'm not knocking that accomplishment. but a team who slipped in at the lowest slot, can't afford to reduce the quality of their team.

as a side note, Morse was interviewed after Laroche signed, and he said he isn't interested in being a DH.

this !

Yep, pretty simple.

Good luck with that

Having said that, it might take too much to make a deal. The Nationals’ wish list includes young pitching, including a left-handed reliever. The Orioles are willing to offer up some of their young arms not named Bundy or Gausman, but given the interest that Morse will draw -- at least a half-dozen teams have interest -- Washington will have its choice of offers.

The Nats’ asking price will likely be high -- it appeared to be too high for the Orioles back in December -- and expect that to rise with the number of suitors because after all, they don’t definitively need to deal Morse.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-orioles-wont-be-alone-in-coveting-nationals-michael-morse-20130108,0,3990535.story