Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LarryN

Hall of Fame announcement day

82 posts in this topic

Lee Smith

McGriff

Piazza

Biggio

Schilling

Lofton

I want Edgar to get in, but that's my emotions talking. he was a very good hitter, but very good isn't good enough

I think the interesting thing will be "who DOESN'T get 5% of the Vote (30 votes total"

Will this be the year that Palmeiro fails to get 5% and loses any and all possibility of ever becoming a Hall-of-Famer?

What about Sosa, Bonds or Clemens?

What happens if say Bonds and Clemens don't get 5% of the vote but Sosa somehow does and then several years from now is actually elected. Can you imagine a HOF with Sosa in it but Bonds ineligible?

Yes: Bonds, Piazza, Clemens

On the Fence: Raffy, Schilling, Smith, Biggio, McGriff. Out of this group, I think Raffy is most deserving and would probably get my vote. Maybe Biggio also.

No: McGwire and Sosa. Without the steroids, we aren't even talking about them.

Some other players eligible that I would count as very good players but probably not HOF worthy: Trammell, Morris, Raines, Martinez

Wonder how bad Bonds and Clemens are going to get snubbed. Piazza def. gets in

Piazza def gets in???? Ah not gonna happen......These baseball writers are a joke anyway, they get to play judge and jury on who did PEDs or what not...I cant stand Clemens but any baseball hall of fame without him, Bonds or Pete Rose is a farce!

Bonds, Clemens, Raffy, and McGuire would all get my votes. So would Lee Smith

I'd go Bonds and Clemens to break the "steroid ice".

Raffy would get my vote at some point as long as he points and declares, "I did take steroids. Period."

Update - no players selected. :(

NO ONE got in. Biggio came closest with 68%. Will anyone ever get in again?

Next year should definitely see some. Maddox, Glavine and Frank Thomas are eligible.

I'm getting sick of Barry Larkin's "holier than thou" attitude about the HOF. When I think of hall of fame players, I don't think of him.

If Larkin is in, Biggio should be in.

that's so strange. clearly there were a couple of deserving players who have the numbers and are pretty well clear of any suspicion.

what does this do to the economy of Cooperstown. I'm sure there are businesses that rely on the barrage of people that come up for induction weekend.

that's so strange. clearly there were a couple of deserving players who have the numbers and are pretty well clear of any suspicion.

what does this do to the economy of Cooperstown. I'm sure there are businesses that rely on the barrage of people that come up for induction weekend.

The steroid guys I get, but how is Lee Smith not already in?

Extremely accurate title to that story. This about sums it up what a mess it's become

A man who hit 762 home runs wasn't elected to the Hall of Fame.

A pitcher who won seven Cy Young Awards wasn't elected to the Hall of Fame.

A man who hit 609 home runs only got 12.5 percent of the vote.

A catcher who made 12 All-Star teams missed election by 98 votes.

The steroid guys I get, but how is Lee Smith not already in?

I was watching MLB and one of the veteran voters said Lee Smith doesn't have the intangibles that go with a HOF career. he isn't known as a Cub or a Cardinal, he played for so many teams that he lacks an identity. and his career mostly pre-dates what has become known as the closer role. what he meant by that, was that Smith would pitch in he 8th & 9th inning, so he wasn't known as a guy who came out to lock down the win.

isn't that funny. he has more saves than anyone not named Hoffman or Rivera, but he wasn't officially a closer for his whole career so it doesn't count.

to which I say, all he did was establish (with Eckersley) what has become known as the closer. but what do I know

here are the results

Player Votes Pct

Craig Biggio 388 68.2

Jack Morris 385 67.7

Jeff Bagwell 339 59.6

Mike Piazza 329 57.8

Tim Raines 297 52.2

Lee Smith 272 47.8

Curt Schilling 221 38.8

Roger Clemens 214 37.6

Barry Bonds 206 36.2

Edgar Martinez 204 35.9

Alan Trammell 191 33.6

Larry Walker 123 21.6

Fred McGriff 118 20.7

Dale Murphy 106 18.6

Mark McGwire 96 16.9

Don Mattingly 75 13.2

Sammy Sosa 71 12.5

Rafael Palmeiro 50 8.8

Others receiving votes: Bernie Williams, 19; Kenny Lofton, 18; Sandy Alomar Jr., 16; Julio Franco, 6; David Wells, 5; Steve Finley, 4; Shawn Green, 2; Aaron Sele, 1.

Palmeiro probably drops off the eligibility list next year since there are a few (presumed) 1st ballot HOFers next year.

I'd really like to hear some thoughts about Lofton. am I the only person who thinks he's a HOFer?

I didn't look at his numbers, but he was the premier leadoff hitter of his day. he was an impact player offensively and defensively. he wreaked havoc on opposing teams with his base running. but if the numbers aren't there, I guess that other stuff just isn't enough.

Extremely accurate title to that story. This about sums it up what a mess it's become

Oh well !

The players have no one to blame but themselves.

I, for one, will never go to an MLB game again, nor to the HOF.

The game and its history are permanently damaged.

Pretty much.