8 replies to this topic

#1 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,899 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

This is good.
They were rumored to be in the process of finding a way to get players from Seattle while giving them Granderson, then flipping them to the Dbacks for Upton.

To me, that's a no-brainer for NY...but they don't see it that way.
I guess they don't want to take on the salary.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#2 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,904 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

Granderson earns $13M in his final year (2013). the yankees are trying to shed payroll. Upton would be a salary increase over CG and for a few more years. I'm not surprised to hear they aren't interested.

it's just habit for writers to say NY is in on a prime FA or trade. aside from Kevin Kennedy, every other opinion I've heard, on the NY farm system, says it's completely empty.

if that's true, they don't have the pieces to get Upton. no one is going to give up good prospects to rent Granderson for 6 months.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#3 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,899 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:57 PM

Granderson earns $13M in his final year (2013). the yankees are trying to shed payroll. Upton would be a salary increase over CG and for a few more years. I'm not surprised to hear they aren't interested.

it's just habit for writers to say NY is in on a prime FA or trade. aside from Kevin Kennedy, every other opinion I've heard, on the NY farm system, says it's completely empty.

if that's true, they don't have the pieces to get Upton. no one is going to give up good prospects to rent Granderson for 6 months.

Upton would make more than Granderson?
According to the site I just went to, he will make less than him next year, then jump to 14 mil the following year - but at that point, Grandy would be gone.
Also, they will start to shed some of their other ridiculous salaries.

http://baseballplaye...16_Justin_Upton

To me, in terms of player trade value, this might be the best time to jump on the wagon.

Of course, they would be trading 3.9 WAR for 1.8 WAR...but players tend to boost their offensive output when they go to NY.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#4 HAIL2BNG

HAIL2BNG

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,063 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

Baseball America ranks them 11th. That's hardly empty.
Its no surprise that the SSA is a mess when they hire economists with pea brains.

#5 BiggSeth

BiggSeth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,031 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:21 AM

isn't Upton a bit of a head case as well? or does he have an equally talented brother with a bad attitude?

I don't think the O's need to swap a solid clubhouse guy in Reynolds for anyone who will bring a bad vibe to that group....

It was obvious last year that Buck had them playing for each other, not the stats on their baseball cards....
The essence of Freedom is the proper limitation of Government.....

#6 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,904 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

Upton would make more than Granderson?
According to the site I just went to, he will make less than him next year, then jump to 14 mil the following year - but at that point, Grandy would be gone.
Also, they will start to shed some of their other ridiculous salaries.

sorry, I should have posted more detail.

the yankees are trying to get below $189M for the 2015 season. so adding Upton would be an obstacle to achieving that. Granderson's departure will help them with that. if they were trying to maintain their current payroll, it would be a push, but NY wants to get their payroll down so they can have their luxury tax rate reduced.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#7 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,904 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:17 PM

isn't Upton a bit of a head case as well? or does he have an equally talented brother with a bad attitude?

I don't think the O's need to swap a solid clubhouse guy in Reynolds for anyone who will bring a bad vibe to that group....

It was obvious last year that Buck had them playing for each other, not the stats on their baseball cards....

you're thinking of BJ.

Justin has a reputation for being a hard working, team player. no one can figure out why arizona is so bent on moving him. I've heard a few people express this sentiment, 'if there's a problem with him, no one outside of the D-Backs org. is aware of it'.

#8 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,904 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

I'm just sharing what I've heard.

#9 kudzu

kudzu

Significant Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,291 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:48 PM

They must have meant morally empty. At least, while owned by a Steinbrenner.

Come on, give it a shot. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users