6 replies to this topic

#1 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,932 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:44 PM

Awesome.
Now they can work on building a long term winner.
Also nice to see Angelos commit to an FO.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#2 hector

hector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,085 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:00 AM

Awesome.
Now they can work on building a long term winner.
Also nice to see Angelos commit to an FO.

There's no way that Buck will be the O's manager through 2018. He will wear out his welcome. I predict that he'll last three years at most and will be out as manager before the 2016 season.

Unfortunately, this is yet another case of Angelos spending lots of money and not getting anywhere near full value in return.

#3 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,025 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:12 AM

continuity under the Angelos regime?

today's weather forecast is, huge ice storm in Hell.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#4 Aclobat

Aclobat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:21 AM

continuity under the Angelos regime?

today's weather forecast is, huge ice storm in Hell.

Well you gotta think PA wont live until 2018. Then hopefully his son will sell the team to someone that doesnt look like darth sidious from star wars.

Also, anyone else going to the Ironbirds stadium for cocktails and dinner with Buck and J.J?

#5 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,579 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:57 AM

There's no way that Buck will be the O's manager through 2018. He will wear out his welcome. I predict that he'll last three years at most and will be out as manager before the 2016 season.

Unfortunately, this is yet another case of Angelos spending lots of money and not getting anywhere near full value in return.

It strikes me that Angelos likes Duquette because he can string a team together from has-beens, journeymen, and long shots; and he likes Showalter because Buck seems to be able to make the best of it. I just don't know if that is going to be a formula for success in the AL East. The competition is way less afraid to actually spend money on proven talent.

I am all for continuity and confidence in the plan, but five years is a heck of a long time, especially based on one year of success with an over achieving team. I will be rooting for the good times to continue, but realistically I have my doubts.

#6 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,025 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:07 AM

Well you gotta think PA wont live until 2018.

does pure evil ever actually die :D
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#7 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,025 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

It strikes me that Angelos likes Duquette because he can string a team together from has-beens, journeymen, and long shots; and he likes Showalter because Buck seems to be able to make the best of it. I just don't know if that is going to be a formula for success in the AL East. The competition is way less afraid to actually spend money on proven talent.

I am all for continuity and confidence in the plan, but five years is a heck of a long time, especially based on one year of success with an over achieving team. I will be rooting for the good times to continue, but realistically I have my doubts.

those are long contracts, but I don't think success is the main factor with PGA. he keeps people he likes to work with, not necessarily people who can do the job. in this case, maybe we all got lucky and those men have both qualities.

with the GM position, it's all about sharing PGAs philosophy on the team, and a willingness to accept that you have no decision making authority.

I was thionking the 2012 draft may have earned DD some clout with the owner. from the reports I've heard/read, Gausman is polished beyond his professional experience as a pitcher.

DD took some criticism for not drafting Appel (sp?) who ended up not signing with Pitt, meanwhile Gausman is fast-tracking his way thru the system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users