#1 Baltimatt

Baltimatt

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 54,000 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:22 AM

Former Orioles manager

Earl Weaver, the feisty Hall-of-Fame Baltimore Orioles manager and persistent Yankee nemesis died late Friday night of an apparent heart attack while on an Orioles’ fantasy cruise in the Caribbean. He was 82.

Loud, profane, egotistical, belligerent, confrontational, Weaver never denied being any of those things, but they were merely part of the makeup of what best described the Hall-of-Fame Baltimore Orioles manager: Winner.

RIP. :(
Dieser Weg wird kein leichter sein; dieser Weg wird steinig und schwer.
Nicht mit vielen wirst du dir einig sein, doch dieses Leben bietet so viel mehr. --Xavier Naidoo

#2 Just Pondering

Just Pondering

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:22 AM

Just heard on WBAL radio that Earl Weaver has died. Details are unfolding.

#3 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,864 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:34 AM

that's really sad news.

Peace to his family
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#4 Baltimatt

Baltimatt

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 54,000 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:52 AM

The Sun finally has a story, but it is very short.

How does a New York paper have a much more complete write-up earlier than the Sun?
Dieser Weg wird kein leichter sein; dieser Weg wird steinig und schwer.
Nicht mit vielen wirst du dir einig sein, doch dieses Leben bietet so viel mehr. --Xavier Naidoo

#5 regularguy

regularguy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,174 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:57 AM

He was the icon Orioles manager. None of the others in the team's history even come close.

Never a dull moment when Earl was in charge.

#6 demopublican

demopublican

20,758 posts 1 warning points

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,969 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:00 AM

I took my 9 year old son to the statue game this summer. He became obsessed with EW and the O's glory days. I caught his watching one of the profanity laced YouTube videos the which only served to cement EW's hero status with him. My son is going to be heart broken.
"Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that." — Steve Earle.

Disclaimer: I hate the Democrats and the Republicans but I am a registered Democrat. That way I can vote against O'Malley more often.

#7 Norman

Norman

Underachiever

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,569 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:02 AM

I didn't live in the area when he was managing...but I did come down for Reggies first game as an Oriole in Baltimore. The old stadium lights went out it the middle of a rally...took quite a while for them to power back up. He seemed like a very smart manager. :D

RIP Mr Weaver

#8 baltiMOREOandR

baltiMOREOandR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

a must see:

#9 SNAFU

SNAFU

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,245 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:09 AM

I took my 9 year old son to the statue game this summer. He became obsessed with EW and the O's glory days. I caught his watching one of the profanity laced YouTube videos the which only served to cement EW's hero status with him. My son is going to be heart broken.

He not only made his statue game, but all 6 of them, the only one to do so. He just loved coming to Baltimore for anything. RIP The Earl of Baltimore.
I don't have an 'ignore' list. I don't need no stinkin' list to remind me who I've ignored! I ignore the old-fashioned way.

#10 prairieaug

prairieaug

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:18 AM

When we moved to the Baltimore area in '69 I immediately became a fan of the local sports teams (easy to do back then). Got to see many games with Earl at the helm. Not only was he skilled as a skipper but at times he was very entertaining on the field. So glad to have his signature on a baseball.

RIP Earl Weaver & thanks for the memories.
I'm stopping off at Charlie Eckmans for a six pack of Natty Boh.
"I gave Mike Cuellar more chances than my first wife". – Earl Weaver

#11 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,590 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:26 AM

I'm glad he got to take part in the summer's activities and got to see the Orioles as a winner.

RIP Earl.

#12 Morgan208

Morgan208

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:33 AM

A very sad day for Baltimore. RIP Earl

#13 Agrippa

Agrippa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,010 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:35 AM

This Was Earl Weaver

This is how he'd want to be remembered

#14 jessup270

jessup270

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,919 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

With Earl Weaver, Cal senior and Chuck Thompson gone, the world does not seem the same.

#15 CIB

CIB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:03 AM

To have spent the first four seasons of my baseball fandom rooting for teams managed by him (5, if you count the comeback). He will be sorely missed. RIP Earl, and I hope you are still cursing at Umpires somewhere in the Great Game.:o

#16 cprenegade

cprenegade

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,139 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:08 AM

R.I.P. Very sad about this news. The Orioles of the late 60's through the 70's were the model organizational blueprint of success. Earl was a very big part of that. A master of statistics years before computers. Earl Weaver took the idea of playing tendencies and percentages to a whole new level.
You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill;
I will choose a path that's clear
I will choose freewill.

#17 Passarino

Passarino

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,033 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:24 AM

He was The Oriole Way. A very sad day.

#18 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,528 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:27 AM

Some of the better excerpts from the Daily News article in the OP:

When asked one time by Orioles outfielder Pat Kelly if he wanted to participate in team chapel and "walk with the lord," Weaver famously replied: ("No thanks. I'd rather walk with the (bleeping) bases loaded."

Throughout his managing career, Weaver was famous for his eschewing of the sacrifice bunt and giving up an out. "When you play for one run, that's usually all you get," he snarled, adding: "I have nothing against the bunt in its place, but most of the time that place is in the bottom of a long-forgotten closet."

I remember a few years back during an O's-Yankees game on YES Ken Singleton told a story where the O's were up by 1 in the 8th at home. Runners on 1B and 2B, 0 out. Singleton sac bunts and the runners both successfully advance. He gets back to the dugout thinking he's done a good thing getting 2 insurance runs into scoring position but instead Earl yells at him. Looking at Singleton's OBP, Earl was dead right.

#19 prairieaug

prairieaug

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:40 AM

This Was Earl Weaver

This is how he'd want to be remembered

Damn near had tears in my eyes laughing so hard!
I'm stopping off at Charlie Eckmans for a six pack of Natty Boh.
"I gave Mike Cuellar more chances than my first wife". – Earl Weaver

#20 Hoot

Hoot

Not A Mod

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,358 posts
  • LocationRavenstown

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:48 AM

The energy he brought to the game was amazing. 97 ejections.. well done Earl! :) May you rest in peace.. :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users