Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dryfire

Almost 200 Venders Dropout of the Outdoor Show in Harrisburg

9 posts in this topic

I was thinking about starting a thread on this too. As of now it's over 300 vendors and 66 speakers/celebrities that have dropped out. I and 3 friends that went every year will be boycotting as well.

3 of the 4 main sponsors, including Cabelas, have dropped their sponsorship. The list of those boycotting has some big names as well as some small ones that probably can't afford this but are standing by their defense of the 2nd Amendment. Smith & Wesson, Ruger, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, PSE, Bear, are but a few. I was surprised but very happy to see Comcast on the list of comapnies boycotting.

With all the speakers/celebrities and vendors that have dropped out one site had some people suggesting legal action because the promoter is not providing what was advertised. The vendors have already paid for their spots and will now have thousands fewer people as customers.

I bet the list will go over 350 by the time everything is done. Surely a shame for the small guy but sometimes we all take a hit.

I was just getting ready to order the tickets when a writer friend from Bowhunter magazine told me about this. At times we have had a caravan of guys going up. This year our total was going to be 6 or 7.

The show itself is going to gwet an email from me telling them all of us are bycotting the show too.

The outfitter I went elk hunting with last year dropped as did the outfitter I am going Mule deer/antelope hnting with this fall. Neither is a big outfit but they are supporting the 2nd Amendment even if it hurts.

They stopped selling tickets online yesterday or the day before. I just checked and "Tickets are no longer available online". I saw on another site that people who bought their tickets online before this happened are asking for their money back. They say that what they paid for isn't what they are getting.

Reed Exhibitions must also not care how this affects the local economy. A lot of the people boycotting would have styed in hotels for the full 9 days or at least had someother accomodations. Plus they would have spent money locally while there. Not to mention people like us who would spend money on the day trip.

I also sent a polite but firm email to Reed Exhibitions about how I feel about their actions.

What are they protesting? The gun business has never boomed so much! Are "they" trying to take your guns or are "they" encouraging gun buying?

organizer Reed Exhibitions last week announced a ban prohibiting assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition magazines from being sold or even displayed at the show.

So thats about half of the buisness at the show. So many companys wont even attend now. It's kind of a shame for the town cause its going to lose out on all of the extra cash that flows into that town.

organizer Reed Exhibitions last week announced a ban prohibiting assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition magazines from being sold or even displayed at the show.

So thats about half of the buisness at the show. So many companys wont even attend now. It's kind of a shame for the town cause its going to lose out on all of the extra cash that flows into that town.

it's a huge economic hit ......

Economic loss will be devastating in Harrisburg region

"It's financially devastating. It's one of the highest-volume weeks of the year for us," said Doug Krick, owner of Dodge City Restaurant. Krick's restaurant is located within two miles of the Pennsylvania Farm Show Complex, where the event had been scheduled to run Feb. 2-10. Donny Brown, owner of the FireHouse Restaurant in downtown Harrisburg said: "That week, we sell more steaks than in any other week of the year. … It's one of the (events) that doesn't have just one or two good nights, it has a week of good nights.

The nine-day event draws hundreds of thousands of people. Local tourism officials say it generates $44 million, and that figure doesn't count things such as gasoline sales. David Black, president of the Harrisburg Regional Chamber, put the overall economic figure at $80 million, which he called a "conservative" estimate."

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2013/01/boycott_guns_eastern_sports_an_1.html

Excellent news!

The National Rifle Association next year will run a new show at the Pennsylvania Farm Show Complex in Harrisburg to replace the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show.

"This is going to become a national show with implications way beyond the borders of this state and this county, and it's going to attract people from all over the country - not just next year but for years to come."

"The whole reason for the boycott was there was someone running the show that obviously was working against the interests and core beliefs of sportsmen - those of us that believe in the Second Amendment," he said.

Keene promised "all legal firearms and products" will be allowed to be displayed and sold at the Great American Outdoor Show.

This should send the nutters into another tizzy. :P