tell me that's not it
please

#2 LarryN

LarryN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,905 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:59 AM

$1.5m is probably not too much to risk on a guy with a wonky knee (I wish someone would invest 1.5m on me and my wonky knee). I see one of two possibilities: He makes a full comeback and Dan D Looks like a genius, or Jair Jurrjens banks a cool mil and a half and spends the season hanging out with Brian Roberts.

Low risk, potential high reward.
"She's like the ex-girlfriend they're SO over, never want to see again, have already forgotten about -- really, it's O-ver -- but they just can't stop talking about her." --- Ann Coulter, discussing Sarah Palin

#3 Oriole-Bob

Oriole-Bob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:06 AM

I like the signing as well, $1.5 mill is a small risk high reward signing for a guy who could come back huge.

However this being are only significant signing so far this offseason does not please me at all.

#4 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,794 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:24 AM

tell me that's not it
please

Were you here last year?
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#5 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,864 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:44 AM

does anyone remember this?

The Orioles expressed interest in Jurrjens last offseason, and he was mentioned as part of a possible trade involving Orioles center fielder Adam Jones, but nothing materialized.

http://www.baltimore...0,2144391.story

I don't remember any "Jones to Atl" rumors last winter. I'm glad that didn't materialize.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#6 LarryN

LarryN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,905 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:16 AM

does anyone remember this?

http://www.baltimore...0,2144391.story

I don't remember any "Jones to Atl" rumors last winter. I'm glad that didn't materialize.

I vaguely remember them, but they probably fell in to the same category as the Machado & Gausmann to Arizona stories this winter.....wishful thinking on the part of Atlanta writers.

http://atlanta.sbnat...s-jair-jurrjens

http://bleacherrepor...-trade-proposal

(I like how the idiot in the second one says the Braves "freed up some cap space" :rolleyes:)
"She's like the ex-girlfriend they're SO over, never want to see again, have already forgotten about -- really, it's O-ver -- but they just can't stop talking about her." --- Ann Coulter, discussing Sarah Palin

#7 Aclobat

Aclobat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:37 AM

I like it. A oft' injured SP that throw his fastball at 85-88. (88 MILES AN HOUR!!!!!!)

But it would be sweet if he returned to any bit of his old 2011 self(without the injuries)

#8 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,864 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

I vaguely remember them, but they probably fell in to the same category as the Machado & Gausmann to Arizona stories this winter.....wishful thinking on the part of Atlanta writers.

http://atlanta.sbnat...s-jair-jurrjens

http://bleacherrepor...-trade-proposal

(I like how the idiot in the second one says the Braves "freed up some cap space" :rolleyes:)

"cap space" that's funny. BR is a rag. I guess it's actually a virtual rag since it's not physically printed.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#9 Grindelwald

Grindelwald

Right wing lie debunker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,544 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:27 AM

Good move.

#10 durango46

durango46

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,955 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

most likely a "worthless" move....

another Oriole off season with no substanial upgrades..

see last year

#11 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,529 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

most likely a "worthless" move....

another Oriole off season with no substanial upgrades..

see last year

Last off season they added Ayala, Chen, Hammel, Lindstrom, and O'Day. Those guys all made solid contributions to the playoff run.

#12 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,529 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

Seems like there's gonna be quite a lot of starters competing for slots this spring.

#13 johnpolitics

johnpolitics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,565 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:19 PM

As a Braves fan I'll tell you he got in managements dog house. Low risk high reward signing.
FYI- the Braves traded Hanson in the off season. They follow the Dodger motto of it is better to trade a guy a year early than a year later. That is why they tried to trade JJ LAST year.

#14 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,694 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:57 PM

tell me that's not it
please

I don't think this is their "big" FA signing - but this is a great project pickup, and the perfect opportunity for Peterson and the O's coaching staff.

I'm waiting for that Saunders announcement...any day now...
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#15 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,694 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:59 PM

As a Braves fan I'll tell you he got in managements dog house. Low risk high reward signing.
FYI- the Braves traded Hanson in the off season. They follow the Dodger motto of it is better to trade a guy a year early than a year later. That is why they tried to trade JJ LAST year.

Which is why the Braves FO is one of the best.
The only thing I have a problem with them is that they tend to overhype their position players.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.

#16 durango46

durango46

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,955 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:06 AM

Last off season they added Ayala, Chen, Hammel, Lindstrom, and O'Day. Those guys all made solid contributions to the playoff run.

should have clarified

position players

I have no problem with this move hopefully they can catch lightning in a bottle. I just don't see it though

#17 kudzu

kudzu

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,168 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

Print the playoff tickets...

#18 FlaFrank

FlaFrank

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:47 PM

Living here and being a huge Rays fan we are accustom to these kinds of signings. The Orioles have used some of the Tampa Bay blueprint and guess what, it works. Who wanted Fernando Rodney last year? Some of these low risk chances pay off and if they don't..you haven't invested a jillion dollars in a player whose prime has past. Don't be so hard on the front office/ownership. It appears they are on the right track. Don't think so..look at the Red Sox.

#19 johnpolitics

johnpolitics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,565 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:32 PM

Which is why the Braves FO is one of the best.
The only thing I have a problem with them is that they tend to overhype their position players.

They over hype often to move a guy. If they could move Dan Uggla they would. When they move a guy it rarely bits them. Trading Adam Wainwright for JD Drew was the worst trade in the last 20 years they made. And I am still pi$$ed about trading for Nate McClouth. The only good thing was the players we gave up didn't bit us back.
Remember last year the Braves were offering Jair J (who was coming off a good year) and others to the O's for Adam Jones.
In the last 20 years they have traded for McGriff, Tim Hudson, Jair J., Denny Neagle and Marquis Grissom and gave up very little down the road.
And they let Javy Lopez, Smotlz, Andrew Jones, Gary Sheffield, Bret Boone, Steve Avery go before the bottom fell out on their careers.

And Frank Wren who Angelos fired was involved in many of those deals.

#20 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,694 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

They over hype often to move a guy. If they could move Dan Uggla they would. When they move a guy it rarely bits them. Trading Adam Wainwright for JD Drew was the worst trade in the last 20 years they made. And I am still pi$$ed about trading for Nate McClouth. The only good thing was the players we gave up didn't bit us back.
Remember last year the Braves were offering Jair J (who was coming off a good year) and others to the O's for Adam Jones.
In the last 20 years they have traded for McGriff, Tim Hudson, Jair J., Denny Neagle and Marquis Grissom and gave up very little down the road.
And they let Javy Lopez, Smotlz, Andrew Jones, Gary Sheffield, Bret Boone, Steve Avery go before the bottom fell out on their careers.

And Frank Wren who Angelos fired was involved in many of those deals.

precisely...and I have a problem with that. It also affects how they perform in award voting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users