Recent headlines from The Baltimore Sun

Photo
- - - - -

America rejoices: The fake-to-third, throw-to-first pickoff move is now a balk.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Jeebus

Jeebus

Molon Labe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,514 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:49 AM

Finally.

http://www.cbssports...e-is-now-a-balk

The fake-to-third, throw-to-first pickoff move is now a thing of the past. Or, rather, it will now be called a balk. Tyler Kepner of the New York Times reports Major League Baseball has implemented the rule change that will take effect this season.

FWIW - I never understand why the home team fans ALWAYS boo every time the visiting team throws to first in an attempted pick off. EVERY time. It's part of the game to try to keep the guy close -- don't they understand that? Yet it happens in EVERY city.....

#2 Aclobat

Aclobat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

Best thing MLB did since testing and banning PED's. I always hated the fake to thrid play.

#3 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,490 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

FWIW - I never understand why the home team fans ALWAYS boo every time the visiting team throws to first in an attempted pick off. EVERY time. It's part of the game to try to keep the guy close -- don't they understand that? Yet it happens in EVERY city.....

I do it but not because I'm like, 'oh my god, how dare you throw to 1B'. I realize it's part of the game. Just razzing the visitor is all.

#4 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,839 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

Best thing MLB did since testing and banning PED's. I always hated the fake to thrid play.

in all my years of watching baseball games, I've only seen that fake throw work twice. both times it was this guy who fell for it.

http://www.google.co...Gt_YCYDw&itbs=1
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#5 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,490 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

I'm shocked Pie never fell for it. Maybe because he was on base so seldom.

#6 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,839 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

I'm shocked Pie never fell for it. Maybe because he was on base so seldom.

that, and the fact that no one needed to trick Pie into getting out on the base path. he was willing and able to do that on his own.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#7 hector

hector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:33 PM

that, and the fact that no one needed to trick Pie into getting out on the base path. he was willing and able to do that on his own.

Go easy on FP. He hit .294 last year and the potential that AM saw is finally starting to emerge.

#8 douglas tomlinson

douglas tomlinson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

So, can the pitcher fake to first and throw to third? or is this a balk too? This play didn't bother me. I thought it was more because the pitcher was trying to figure out what to throw next.

#9 Jeebus

Jeebus

Molon Labe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,514 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:21 PM

So, can the pitcher fake to first and throw to third? or is this a balk too? This play didn't bother me. I thought it was more because the pitcher was trying to figure out what to throw next.

While in contact with the rubber, the pitcher cannot fake to 1st base, nor can he fake a throw to an unoccupied base. If he steps off the rubber before faking the throw, it is legal ( a lot of lefties use this move).

#10 O for the Seventies

O for the Seventies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:38 PM

in all my years of watching baseball games, I've only seen that fake throw work twice. both times it was this guy who fell for it.

http://www.google.co...Gt_YCYDw&itbs=1

Didn't know that about ol' Manny. I attended a game in the late 1980's when Alan Wiggins was caught on that play, the only time I've seen it work. My opinion only, but why on earth do we have balk rules anyway? Let the pitcher do any trick in the book to keep runners close. Let's see some guys get faked out of their cleats! Some of the balks called on Orioles pitchers over the past two-three years were incredibly nitpicky and were crucial to the game's outcome... and they occurred during a time when the last thing the pitcher was thinking about was being 'deceptive' .

#11 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,840 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:36 AM

... why on earth do we have balk rules anyway? Let the pitcher do any trick in the book to keep runners close. Let's see some guys get faked out of their cleats!

I like this idea (not that it is going to happen). Maybe I'm just simple, but to me the rules are so obtuse and esoteric that almost every time a balk is called it takes me by surprise and I have no idea what the pitcher did wrong. He has to stand here when he does this, and he can't do that if he's doing something else. At least this fake-to-third-throw-to-first move is something I can recognize. It seems to me simpler is better.

#12 Morgan208

Morgan208

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:27 AM

Finally.

http://www.cbssports...e-is-now-a-balk

Because 80% of attendees don't understand the game.

#13 Morgan208

Morgan208

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

Didn't know that about ol' Manny. I attended a game in the late 1980's when Alan Wiggins was caught on that play, the only time I've seen it work. My opinion only, but why on earth do we have balk rules anyway? Let the pitcher do any trick in the book to keep runners close. Let's see some guys get faked out of their cleats! Some of the balks called on Orioles pitchers over the past two-three years were incredibly nitpicky and were crucial to the game's outcome... and they occurred during a time when the last thing the pitcher was thinking about was being 'deceptive' .

I don't remember Wiggins falling for that, but I do remember him getting caught with the hidden ball trick.

#14 rgh

rgh

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:25 AM

I don't remember Wiggins falling for that, but I do remember him getting caught with the hidden ball trick.

I remember this too. Which is ridiculous. I was taught at 11 years old (which is when leading was first allowed in my league) that you don't take your lead until the pitcher takes the rubber. Once he touches the rubber he has to have the ball or it is a balk. Simple enough for an 11 year old to understand but too hard for Wiggins.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users