Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

George VII

Jim Morrison - AHL Hall of Fame

5 posts in this topic

This week, during the all-star game ceremonies for the AHL, one-time Baltimore Clipper Jim Morrison was inducted into the AHL Hall of Fame. The picture shown has Jim sporting a Clippers sweater. It was fun watching him and his teammates back in the day, and makes me wonder once again, in a league of 30 teams where some shift each year, why we don't have a team back in Baltimore.

The location of the arena, and the actual arena itself. The fact remains... you put an arena right off of I-95, somewhere near the tunnels, with a nice big bright electronic billboard... and the billboard alone would sell more tickets to events that never got sold before. Make it so that folks can pull off I-95 and be in the parking garage 60 seconds later. Make it easy for folks to get home quickly after a mid-week game. Make it easy for commuters and weekend visitors to see exactly what is going on there, and when events are happening (via the electronic billboard).

The current arena is still a joke, and has been since the day it was built. Oklahoma City has an NBA team. Anybody that still thinks Baltimore "can't" support that is foolish. And frankly, NBA fans are in my opinion as "front-runner" prone as any other sport, if not more... if by some miracle you put a contending NBA franchise in Baltimore, you'd pull a LOT of support out of the DC market, and probably even some from DE, the southern PHI area, and the I-83 corridor. Put the Thunder in Baltimore and a lot of NBA fans within a two hour radius would forget the Wizards exist.

A minor league hockey team could work if the arena / location was done right, and decent marketing / advertising came along with it. Hell, "social media" now makes that an easier and cheaper task to tackle anyway.

Make it easy for commuters and weekend visitors to see exactly what is going on there, and when events are happening via the electronic billboard.

The signage at the Baltimore Arena is laughable. I walk down Lombard Street every night on my way to the bus. Sometimes the side parking lot is loaded with buses & trucks, obviously bringing some event or entertainer in, and I often wonder who or what it is. I always find myself tuning around to look at the electric sign board to see, always forgetting that all I'll see is a bunch of nonsensical colorful dots. What do they even still have the power turned on to those sign boards?

An arena in Canton or somewhere on the east side off 95 would draw franchises here!