• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 NCBirdfan

NCBirdfan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,730 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:47 AM

I mean, I've been out of baseball for awhile and it seems that is what they are looking for - players who haven't played in the majors last year and beyond.
http://www.baltimore...,0,901174.story

From the article:

The 43-year-old Rhodes, who still lives in Baltimore, worked out at Camden Yards on Thursday. Once a hard-throwing starter who made his major league debut with the Orioles in 1991 at age 21, Rhodes became a reliever full-time in 1997. He stayed in that relief role throughout the rest of his career and pitched until 2011, when he won a championship with the St. Louis Cardinals.

38-year old Tatis - He hasn’t played in the majors since July 2010 with the New York Mets. In his career, the right-handed hitting corner infielder and outfielder has batted .265 with a .344 on-base percentage. He is a career .271 hitter against lefties.

I have been out of baseball a lot longer than that, although, admittedly, I never played in the majors or minors.:P
-----------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
- Mark Twain

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#2 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,410 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:41 PM

I saw that. I didn't remember Tatis being with the O's. I had to look it up. he played in 38 games with 50couple ABs.

DD's unconventional methods are a big part of what helped the O's do so well last season, but this is a headscratcher. he's ancient and hasn't played at the MLB level in over 2 years. howmany extra OFers does one team need?
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#3 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,452 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:15 PM

I love me some Arthur Rhodes! Signing him would make me feel younger somehow. I'm all for it!

Throw Jamie Moyer in to the rotation too... take me back to the college years!
"Matt Wieters is sunshine, unicorns, puppy dogs and the baby Jesus all rolled into one"

#4 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,452 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:19 PM

Seriously, somebody has to let Moyer make an appearance this year. I'd love to see a 50 year-old take the mound in today's game... :)
"Matt Wieters is sunshine, unicorns, puppy dogs and the baby Jesus all rolled into one"

#5 durango46

durango46

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,955 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:43 PM

tell me this is a joke

all about the cheap

my sons 22...in his senior year in college. Awesome knuckleball
hitting 89-90 on the gun still and plays a hell of a SS

#6 johnpolitics

johnpolitics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,950 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:16 PM

The idea seems to be is to bring a lot of guys in and see what happens. Buck wants a strong bench and bullpen. The O's wallet is still tight.

#7 NY_O'sfan

NY_O'sfan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:46 PM

Sign into the Orioles Hangout. Posters there are practically pushing DD for GM of the year for these moves.

#8 hector

hector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,712 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

Cousin DD was never too bright which is why he went into sports management.

How can he sign a Tatis and not sign an Impaler who's proven Hall of Fame caliber?

Is Tatis the 2013 version of Nick Johnson?

#9 Gizmo

Gizmo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:12 AM

How can he sign a Tatis and not sign an Impaler who's proven Hall of Fame caliber?

:rolleyes:

It's time for a new shtick Hector. Seriously.

#10 BiggSeth

BiggSeth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,031 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

If you were a REAL Vlad fan, you would be happy with his body of work. Why drag down his 'stellar' career numbers with another pathetic season or two (like his last time with the O's)? He obviously was on fumes last time around.
The essence of Freedom is the proper limitation of Government.....

#11 hector

hector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,712 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:42 AM

:rolleyes:

It's time for a new shtick Hector. Seriously.

Differing opinions make for good conversation. I believe the Impaler is far better than Tatis. You believe Tatis is better than the Impaler. So be it.

#12 hector

hector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,712 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

If you were a REAL Vlad fan, you would be happy with his body of work. Why drag down his 'stellar' career numbers with another pathetic season or two (like his last time with the O's)? He obviously was on fumes last time around.

He had the highest batting average on the team the last time around in the 2011 season. If those were fumes, give some fumes to the rest of the O's. I'll put you in the Tatis over Vlad camp.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users