16 replies to this topic

#1 Gizmo

Gizmo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:43 AM

LINK

If Yankee management truly hates the remainder of Arod's contract, they have to be loving this.

Edited to add: Assuming that if true and provable and if ARod has some sort of clause in his contract against something like this, which I have no idea if they do. Otherwise, my post is just some ARod inspired 'Schadenfreude', which I have no problem with admitting. :)

Edited by Gizmo, 02 February 2013 - 03:08 AM.

#2 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44,754 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:19 AM

More heresay.

Nothing can be done unless someone is willing to go on record or under oath
"...reality has a well-known liberal bias"

#3 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,837 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:52 PM

I've heard radio converstions about this. his contract doesn't have specific language that would allow NY to void it based on this situation. because they gave him an extention after knowing he had used PEDs in the past.

it has been suggested that the union would make this argument, you didnt mind extending a known PED user when he was a popular, impact player. but now that he's not an impact player, you feel differently? it has been said that this argument would be too much for NY to overcome if they tried using the standard clause about standards of conduct.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#4 NCBirdfan

NCBirdfan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,364 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:32 PM

ESPN is not a trusted source. The network has had many "scoops" that turned out to be completely false.

Still, I feel bad for the Yankees if they are stuck with his entire contract, etc. - NOT! :P
-----------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
- Mark Twain

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#5 johnpolitics

johnpolitics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,550 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:09 AM

ESPN is not a trusted source. The network has had many "scoops" that turned out to be completely false.

Still, I feel bad for the Yankees if they are stuck with his entire contract, etc. - NOT! :P

Which scoops were false?
Glad this happen.

#6 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44,754 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:40 AM

I've heard radio converstions about this. his contract doesn't have specific language that would allow NY to void it based on this situation. because they gave him an extention after knowing he had used PEDs in the past.

it has been suggested that the union would make this argument, you didnt mind extending a known PED user when he was a popular, impact player. but now that he's not an impact player, you feel differently? it has been said that this argument would be too much for NY to overcome if they tried using the standard clause about standards of conduct.

- A-Rod hasn't failed a drug test

- As far as I know, there are no witnesses or solid evidence that support the accusations in the Miami New Times article

- If I had a nickel for every time ESPN reported on something from an anonymous source that later turned out to be false, I'd be rich :)

#7 pickles

pickles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,351 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:32 AM

- A-Rod hasn't failed a drug test

- As far as I know, there are no witnesses or solid evidence that support the accusations in the Miami New Times article

- If I had a nickel for every time ESPN reported on something from an anonymous source that later turned out to be false, I'd be rich :)

Mmm, Arod had undoubtedly failed a drug test. That's provable.

Oh, and they have absolutely no chance of voiding this contract.

Their best chance is he retires and insurance pays out. But that's pretty slim and none too.

FTY!!!!!

#8 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44,754 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:42 AM

Mmm, Arod had undoubtedly failed a drug test. That's provable.

Oh, and they have absolutely no chance of voiding this contract.

Their best chance is he retires and insurance pays out. But that's pretty slim and none too.

FTY!!!!!

He hasn't failed a drug test since the MLB instituted it's drug policy

I wouldn't be surprised if the accusations are true but he shouldnt be treated any differently from anyone else. It seems that most people are assuming his guilt based on what amounts to rumors...

#9 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,837 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

He hasn't failed a drug test since the MLB instituted it's drug policy

I wouldn't be surprised if the accusations are true but he shouldnt be treated any differently from anyone else. It seems that most people are assuming his guilt based on what amounts to rumors...

I think most people are discussing the topic from the perspective of "if he's guilty". I know I am. as for people assuming his guilt, it's understandable. he's an admitted cheater that continues to be tied to each of the stories where a Dr has been busted for giving PEDs to athletes.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#10 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44,754 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:03 PM

I think most people are discussing the topic from the perspective of "if he's guilty". I know I am. as for people assuming his guilt, it's understandable. he's an admitted cheater that continues to be tied to each of the stories where a Dr has been busted for giving PEDs to athletes.

The Dr in this example hasn't been busted. Neither the MLB nor the Federal government has charged him with anything even though he's been on their radar for a while. Again, most of this stuff is based on rumors.

A-Rod doesn't have many friends in the media or the Yankees organization so he's an easy target. While I won't be surprised if the rumors are true, I equally wouldn't be surprised if someone in the Yankee organization set this up as some elaborate plot to drive A-Rod into retirement.

But the bottom-line is that he's innocent until there is proof of his guilt.

I have an even bigger gripe with professional sports classifying HGH as a PED. There's no evidence that it helps athletes perform better in any sport. HGH is an anti-aging drug. That's why it's so popular with Hollywood celebs. If athletes are taking HGH to enhance performance, they've been misinformed about the benefits of that drug. By putting HGH on the banned substances list, all professional sports is doing is giving credibility to the misconceptions about what HGH can do.

#11 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,837 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:03 PM

The Dr in this example hasn't been busted. Neither the MLB nor the Federal government has charged him with anything even though he's been on their radar for a while. Again, most of this stuff is based on rumors.

you've pointed this out a couple of times, so I'm sure everyone in this thread knows that. and if I'm giving you the wrong impression, know that I'm not speaking in definites. it's still worth discussing. it's the same as pondering possible trade scenarios or possible FA signings. this is really big news, especially at the most dead time in the baseball calendar.

#12 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44,754 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

you've pointed this out a couple of times, so I'm sure everyone in this thread knows that. and if I'm giving you the wrong impression, know that I'm not speaking in definites. it's still worth discussing. it's the same as pondering possible trade scenarios or possible FA signings. this is really big news, especially at the most dead time in the baseball calendar.

It's just disappointing to see so many in the media arguing that he should be penalized based on flimsy evidence(so far).

In contrast, Gio Gonzalez, who is also linked to this clinic and the Miami U baseball coach seems to be getting the benefit of the doubt so far.

It kind of reminds me of how initially, many in the media seemed to be rushing to give Ryan Braun the benefit of the doubt when he failed that drug test over a year ago...

#13 hector

hector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:57 AM

All excellent points.

#14 NCBirdfan

NCBirdfan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,364 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:14 AM

Which scoops were false?
Glad this happen.

There are numerous reports that turn out to be false. It's most-likely because ESPN likes to take credit for everything and anything reported; The network reports things from their "sources" that often turn out to be false. Then they report that their sources were wrong and not them. ESPN has often violated many journalistic rules so they can be the first to get the scoop. They are often wrong, but are counting that we forget that when they finally get something right.
-----------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
- Mark Twain

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#15 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,837 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:54 AM

It's just disappointing to see so many in the media arguing that he should be penalized based on flimsy evidence(so far).

In contrast, Gio Gonzalez, who is also linked to this clinic and the Miami U baseball coach seems to be getting the benefit of the doubt so far.

It kind of reminds me of how initially, many in the media seemed to be rushing to give Ryan Braun the benefit of the doubt when he failed that drug test over a year ago...

the only explanation I can think of, is that those other guys had no prior record of using. for A-Rod, this is becoming routine.

last night news broke that Braun and O's utility player Danny Valencia both appear in the clinic's journal.

with Braun already having that dirty test, he's going to have a lot of work to do to convince people that he's clean. Valencia said he has no connection to the clinic. he's not a patient directly or indirectly, and hadn't even heard of Biogenesis until this story broke.

Braun said, on the advice of his attorney, he consulted Biogenesis after his dirty test. he said he wasn't/isn't a patient, they just consulted on his case, and he paid them for their services.

one radio person asked, why would you go to them? they had a reputation as a suspect clinic dealing in PEDs. the person they consulted wasn't a Dr. and the Brewers have people who can help him with consultation.

these are good questions.

and how does Valencia's name get in the books if he has no connection? it's not like he's a well known, successful ballplayer. even if this was the clinic's way of boosting their profile, he isn't going to make more patients flock to them. they already had bigger names to accomplish that.

#16 hector

hector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:09 AM

the only explanation I can think of, is that those other guys had no prior record of using. for A-Rod, this is becoming routine.

last night news broke that Braun and O's utility player Danny Valencia both appear in the clinic's journal.

with Braun already having that dirty test, he's going to have a lot of work to do to convince people that he's clean. Valencia said he has no connection to the clinic. he's not a patient directly or indirectly, and hadn't even heard of Biogenesis until this story broke.

Braun said, on the advice of his attorney, he consulted Biogenesis after his dirty test. he said he wasn't/isn't a patient, they just consulted on his case, and he paid them for their services.

one radio person asked, why would you go to them? they had a reputation as a suspect clinic dealing in PEDs. the person they consulted wasn't a Dr. and the Brewers have people who can help him with consultation.

and how does Valencia's name get in the books if he has no connection? it's not like he's a well known, successful ballplayer. even if this was the clinic's way of boosting their profile, he isn't going to make more patients flock to them. they already had bigger names to accomplish that.

I've consulted with several law firms over the years and have observed that many lawyers are intellectual lightweights and your post offers a great example. I quote: "Braun said, on the advice of his attorney, he consulted Biogenesis after his dirty test. he said he wasn't/isn't a patient, they just consulted on his case, and he paid them for their services."

This example could be Chapter 1 in my forthcoming book on "Stupid Attorneys I Have Known."

#17 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44,754 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:21 AM

The MLB has been investigating the clinic since last summer and the DEA is also aware of the rumors/allegations. Yet no one has been charged with a crime or even asked to testify under oath. There is also an obvious lack of corroborating evidence.

Smells like a witch hunt to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users