4 replies to this topic

#1 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,626 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

Not all PEDs are equal and PED use isn't the same as PED abuse:

Meanwhile, all of the important questions remain unexplored. Are we drawing arbitrary distinctions between substances that are OK and substances that aren’t? Would our energy be better spent regulating the use of PEDs in sports, rather than pushing for prohibition, which drives athletes into the arms of fly-by-night operations like Sports With Alternatives to Steroids?

Should we try to learn more about the long-term health risks associated with PED use and abuse -- which aren’t the same thing -- rather than developing expensive testing regimes that are rendered obsolete almost the minute they’re put into use? Is there a good reason not to celebrate a drug that can shorten an athlete’s recovery from a serious injury, rather than demonizing it as unethical? How is an aging athlete using human growth hormone to extend his career any different from any one of us taking a blood-pressure lowering drug to extend our life?

http://www.bloomberg...d-scandals.html

"...reality has a well-known liberal bias"

#2 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,396 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:52 AM

I'm not giving an automatic pass to the major sports leagues or their philosophies on PEDs. and I'm not going to say, they must be right because they're the big leagues, but I'm inclined to think they know more about the subject that a journalist.

the leagues and their individual owners pay ridiculous money to retain the services of these players. in addition, they provide state of the art medical care and training equipment. this includes methods of rehabbing injuries. if there is a smart, safe and legal way to shorten the rehab period, I can't imagine some yokel or shoebox doctor is able to find the miracle cure.

but if they did, it would be tested and implemented faster than the yokel could say CHA-CHING!!!

it's like software development. some kid creates a way to crunch numbers faster and more accurately. then Microsoft buys them out and they spend the rest of their days on vacation.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#3 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,626 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:06 PM

I'm not giving an automatic pass to the major sports leagues or their philosophies on PEDs. and I'm not going to say, they must be right because they're the big leagues, but I'm inclined to think they know more about the subject that a journalist.

I have doubts about the "experts" in Pro-sports given that so many banned substances aren't proven to "enhance performance". Few drugs work quite as well as steroids. HGH for example, has a shelf life of 30 hrs and most likely does nothing to enhance performance.

Why should substances that help athletes recover faster from injury be banned? I've never understood that. Drugs that help players recover faster form injury should be praised, not demonized.

If the league educated players on PEDs and regulated the use of PEDs they could require that they be prescribed by a doctor. There would be far fewer cases of athletes going to shady doctors to get drugs that they "think" will enhance their performance.

Prohibition never works. They're better off making some of these substances legal in sports.

#4 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,396 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:11 PM

I have doubts about the "experts" in Pro-sports given that so many banned substances aren't proven to "enhance performance". Few drugs work quite as well as steroids. HGH for example, has a shelf life of 30 hrs and most likely does nothing to enhance performance.

Why should substances that help athletes recover faster from injury be banned? I've never understood that. Drugs that help players recover faster form injury should be praised, not demonized.

If the league educated players on PEDs and regulated the use of PEDs they could require that they be prescribed by a doctor. There would be far fewer cases of athletes going to shady doctors to get drugs that they "think" will enhance their performance.

Prohibition never works. They're better off making some of these substances legal in sports.

all very good points, and I agree with you. the only thing I would add is this. while HGH doesn't conclusively enhance performance, it seems to be a necessay additive to the substances that do.

here a parallel. chemotherapy is a cocktail. there are the chems that battle the cancer, and there are the chems that help them get along with the body (as best as they can). that seems to be what HGH is most widely used for in pro sports. it helps the body relate to the actual PEDs portion of the cocktail.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#5 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,626 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:32 PM

all very good points, and I agree with you. the only thing I would add is this. while HGH doesn't conclusively enhance performance, it seems to be a necessay additive to the substances that do.

here a parallel. chemotherapy is a cocktail. there are the chems that battle the cancer, and there are the chems that help them get along with the body (as best as they can). that seems to be what HGH is most widely used for in pro sports. it helps the body relate to the actual PEDs portion of the cocktail.

IMO, Professional sports should invest in researching these drugs and knowing more about them(ie the benefits, the risks, etc). Not all banned drugs are equal...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users