Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gizmo

Indians sign Michael Bourn

13 posts in this topic

The Indians have signed FA centerfielder Michael Bourn to a 4yr/48mill contract with a potential 5th year that would make it 60 mill.

Story

I don't really know much about Bourn, because I don't watch much NL baseball. but I've been listening to analysts talk about him all winter. the report on Bourn is that he brings good D and speed on the bases. but he's 30 and looking for a long term deal. he has just entered the phase of his career where most speedsters start slowing down.

also, the Braves are well known for their track record of ditching players just before the bottom drops out.

he wanted $16M/yr, he settled for $12/yr. not bad, but Boras has to call this a lost battle.

So this means the Indians will have a "bourn identity" this year?

Sorry...I watch too many movies!

So this means the Indians will have a "bourn identity" this year?

Sorry...I watch too many movies!

he wishes he was as fast, and could hit as hard, as Matt Damon :D

the Indians also signed Jason Giambi. no fooling, they really signed him to DH.

this is the same guy who was trying to get the manager job in Colorado earlier this winter.

I don't really know much about Bourn, because I don't watch much NL baseball. but I've been listening to analysts talk about him all winter. the report on Bourn is that he brings good D and speed on the bases. but he's 30 and looking for a long term deal. he has just entered the phase of his career where most speedsters start slowing down.

also, the Braves are well known for their track record of ditching players just before the bottom drops out.

he wanted $16M/yr, he settled for $12/yr. not bad, but Boras has to call this a lost battle.

As a Braves fan they are great at letting a player go at the right time. If he was willing to take 12 from the Braves they would have kept him. They moved Tommy Hanson to the Angels and let JJ go to the O's in the off season and in 2011 they were the Braves # 1 and #2 starters.

I'm just wondering where the money is coming from.

they have a new broadcast contract, I think it's with Fox. so they're flush with cash, and they're spending it like a drunk sailor on shore leave. I don't think they're going to compete for the playoffs, but I'm sure their fans appreciate the new additions.

they have a new broadcast contract, I think it's with Fox. so they're flush with cash, and they're spending it like a drunk sailor on shore leave. I don't think they're going to compete for the playoffs, but I'm sure their fans appreciate the new additions.

With all due respect, your prediction is way off (again). The Indians WILL compete for the playoffs in 2013.

With all due respect, your prediction is way off (again). The Indians WILL compete for the playoffs in 2013.

you really should look up the meaning of that word. very often, you use it incorrectly. for example, in this reply to me.

As a Braves fan they are great at letting a player go at the right time. If he was willing to take 12 from the Braves they would have kept him. They moved Tommy Hanson to the Angels and let JJ go to the O's in the off season and in 2011 they were the Braves # 1 and #2 starters.

I realize you are a Braves fan, but I think you're a little high on an organization that hasn't won a WS since the 90's (and only won one.)

JJ had already fallen off - and with the options they had on board, they didn't need to keep him to field a pitching staff, the same way the O's don't need him to do the same.

I wouldn't rush to judgement on Hanson either. It's going to be a 2-3 years before we know whether or not that was a good move.

...and before you start bringing up the O's - most on here are pragmatic, but hopeful about this team.

I find it hard to argue this - even if I wanted to.

The only thing I would say is that they do play in the AL Central.

I find it hard to argue this - even if I wanted to.

The only thing I would say is that they do play in the AL Central.

good point. even Detroit looked pretty shabby last year.