• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Gizmo

Gizmo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:27 AM

The Indians have signed FA centerfielder Michael Bourn to a 4yr/48mill contract with a potential 5th year that would make it 60 mill.

Story

#2 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,488 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:09 AM

I don't really know much about Bourn, because I don't watch much NL baseball. but I've been listening to analysts talk about him all winter. the report on Bourn is that he brings good D and speed on the bases. but he's 30 and looking for a long term deal. he has just entered the phase of his career where most speedsters start slowing down.

also, the Braves are well known for their track record of ditching players just before the bottom drops out.

he wanted $16M/yr, he settled for $12/yr. not bad, but Boras has to call this a lost battle.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#3 RIKMAN

RIKMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,885 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

So this means the Indians will have a "bourn identity" this year?

Sorry...I watch too many movies!
Baltimore Sports fan since 1965!:cool:

Confusing the delusional with fact since 2005!

#4 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,488 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:28 AM

So this means the Indians will have a "bourn identity" this year?

Sorry...I watch too many movies!

he wishes he was as fast, and could hit as hard, as Matt Damon :D
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#5 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,488 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

the Indians also signed Jason Giambi. no fooling, they really signed him to DH.

this is the same guy who was trying to get the manager job in Colorado earlier this winter.

#6 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,763 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:34 PM

I'm just wondering where the money is coming from.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#7 johnpolitics

johnpolitics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,052 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:43 PM

I don't really know much about Bourn, because I don't watch much NL baseball. but I've been listening to analysts talk about him all winter. the report on Bourn is that he brings good D and speed on the bases. but he's 30 and looking for a long term deal. he has just entered the phase of his career where most speedsters start slowing down.

also, the Braves are well known for their track record of ditching players just before the bottom drops out.

he wanted $16M/yr, he settled for $12/yr. not bad, but Boras has to call this a lost battle.

As a Braves fan they are great at letting a player go at the right time. If he was willing to take 12 from the Braves they would have kept him. They moved Tommy Hanson to the Angels and let JJ go to the O's in the off season and in 2011 they were the Braves # 1 and #2 starters.

#8 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,488 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

I'm just wondering where the money is coming from.

they have a new broadcast contract, I think it's with Fox. so they're flush with cash, and they're spending it like a drunk sailor on shore leave. I don't think they're going to compete for the playoffs, but I'm sure their fans appreciate the new additions.

#9 hector

hector

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,905 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:38 AM

they have a new broadcast contract, I think it's with Fox. so they're flush with cash, and they're spending it like a drunk sailor on shore leave. I don't think they're going to compete for the playoffs, but I'm sure their fans appreciate the new additions.

With all due respect, your prediction is way off (again). The Indians WILL compete for the playoffs in 2013.

#10 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,488 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:25 AM

With all due respect, your prediction is way off (again). The Indians WILL compete for the playoffs in 2013.

you really should look up the meaning of that word. very often, you use it incorrectly. for example, in this reply to me.

#11 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,763 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:23 AM

As a Braves fan they are great at letting a player go at the right time. If he was willing to take 12 from the Braves they would have kept him. They moved Tommy Hanson to the Angels and let JJ go to the O's in the off season and in 2011 they were the Braves # 1 and #2 starters.

I realize you are a Braves fan, but I think you're a little high on an organization that hasn't won a WS since the 90's (and only won one.)
JJ had already fallen off - and with the options they had on board, they didn't need to keep him to field a pitching staff, the same way the O's don't need him to do the same.
I wouldn't rush to judgement on Hanson either. It's going to be a 2-3 years before we know whether or not that was a good move.

...and before you start bringing up the O's - most on here are pragmatic, but hopeful about this team.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.

#12 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,763 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:24 AM

I find it hard to argue this - even if I wanted to.

The only thing I would say is that they do play in the AL Central.

#13 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,488 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:45 PM

I find it hard to argue this - even if I wanted to.

The only thing I would say is that they do play in the AL Central.

good point. even Detroit looked pretty shabby last year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users