• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 escheinersold

escheinersold

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:29 AM

Like you last year I had my doubts enough was done. Oh and what a Ball we had with last year. So admitting I do not have the expertise of DD and Buck I might want to temper my doubts with a little confidence in their proven scheme from last year. Let's start with a positive and enjoy the Ride. What IF the Ride goes deep into October this year?

The wirtters and doubters have a responsiblityh to be the Devils Advocate. But too you should be a little tempered in the approach. This is not a year to be frustrated. It is a year to be Hopefull with some cause from last year. Did anyone want to over pay for lesser talent. Nothing says the Buck and DD are done. What would we all look like if they are waiting to make a trade? A little confidence is needed and Earned.

Let's Go O's!!!
Ed So Pa Fan
:P

#2 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,960 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:54 AM

The FO has my confidence, but I give it with some hesitation. after the things they did to stay afloat during the rough days of last June-July, they showed they can manage a team with weaknesses.

I don't think there were many FA options that really filled the obvious needs of the team. specifically: 2B, LF and 1B/DH. the pitching moves were strange. it seemed like Saunders was a good fit. but Buck was quoted as saying he expects to see Bundy & Gausman come up in Aug-Sept. so I guess that may have been a factor in not bringing him back.

from what I've heard on the radio, the O's are considered a player in the ALe. I haven't heard anyone say they don't expect to see Baltimore compete for the playoffs.

they have quite a few players with ?. that's why the fans seem to be uncertain. Gonzalez is one example. he was rock solid and cool under pressure. but he has no track record, so he's a ? for most people. I personally think he will be as good as he was last year.

Reimold can really make the team better. but counting on him to play a full season is risky to say the least.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#3 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,574 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:55 AM

I'll play my negative nelly card, so everyone has a target. While admitting I was wrong about last year, I have several reasons why we won't see a repeat.

1. The one run win record. Good luck with that happening again.

2. Betemit at DH

3. It's unknown if Chen and Gonzo will be as effective as last year their second time through the league

4. Which Tillman shows up this year, the one who couldn't crack the roster out of spring training or the guy who dominated when he was brought up?

5. With Saunders gone who fills his spot and the 5th spot in the rotation.

I'm cautiously optimistic
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#4 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,960 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:00 AM

I'll play my negative nelly card, so everyone has a target. While admitting I was wrong about last year, I have several reasons why we won't see a repeat.

2. Betemit at DH

3. It's unknown if Chen and Gonzo will be as effective as last year their second time through the league

4. Which Tillman shows up this year, the one who couldn't crack the roster out of spring training or the guy who dominated when he was brought up?

these are all good points. but I heard something interesting a few days ago on MLB radio. the O's record in 1 run games was just as good in 2011. no one made a big deal about it, because the team stunk it up so bad that year. so maybe it won't be such a long shot to see the same thing happen this year.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#5 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,574 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:04 AM

these are all good points. but I heard something interesting a few days ago on MLB radio. the O's record in 1 run games was just as good in 2011. no one made a big deal about it, because the team stunk it up so bad that year. so maybe it won't be such a long shot to see the same thing happen this year.

That's interesting, I didn't realize that. They made it sound like some sort of historical thing last year. I will say though I'm more optimistic this year than I was at the beginning of last year. and I still say Josh Hamilton would have looked good in Orange and Black :cool:

#6 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,960 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:25 AM

That's interesting, I didn't realize that. They made it sound like some sort of historical thing last year. I will say though I'm more optimistic this year than I was at the beginning of last year. and I still say Josh Hamilton would have looked good in Orange and Black :cool:

I was shocked to hear that too. like you, I thought it was a really big deal.

I just couldn't get behind the idea of signing JH.

#7 Aclobat

Aclobat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:28 AM

O's went 22-22 in 1 run games in 2011.

#8 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,574 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:55 AM

You're right. MLB radio got that one wrong. 29-9 is a lot different from 22-22

#9 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,960 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:10 AM

well that sucks, I've been walking around, the last few days, with a false sense of optimism based on that comment.

#10 Aclobat

Aclobat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:32 AM

Ha. Yea i didn't mean to burst your bubble. Buck took the O's to a 12-5 record in 1 run games after he took over in 2010.

#11 Pickle20

Pickle20

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,293 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:24 PM

2. Betemit at DH

I am too, but I believe there is real reason to be more optimistic than cautious.

#12 Struds

Struds

Moderate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,038 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:38 PM

I'm optimistic that the pitching will continue to improve. I'm confused as to why a big bat wasn't added, and believe that missing piece could be an issue.

#13 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,574 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:38 PM

I am too, but I believe there is real reason to be more optimistic than cautious.

I'd be more optimistic than cautious if our starting pitchers had more of a track record.

#14 Rael

Rael

Rational member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,882 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:21 PM

I'd be more optimistic than cautious if our starting pitchers had more of a track record.

True, but we have so many young arms that we may be ok. If Tillman falters we have Britton. If Britton falters we have Johnson. If Johnson falters we have Bundy. If Bundy falters we have Arrieta. Sometime later in the year we can try Wada. Some of these guys should do ok. Out of the 7-8 young arms we have, finding 4 to do well SHOULD be possible.
Pessimism is just an ugly word for 'pattern recognition'.

#15 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,960 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:44 PM

I'm optimistic that the pitching will continue to improve. I'm confused as to why a big bat wasn't added, and believe that missing piece could be an issue.

it doesn't seem like there were very many good options out there. and the farm system just doesn't have enough talent to trade for an impact bat.

#16 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,574 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:55 PM

it doesn't seem like there were very many good options out there. and the farm system just doesn't have enough talent to trade for an impact bat.

I think the big bat thing is too exaggerated. We had 5 guys hit 20+ homers(granted one of them is gone) including two who hit over 30. Reimold hit 5 in 16 games, projected that's pretty good for a full season if he can stay on the field. I think they have enough firepower. I think it's going to come down to pitching

#17 can you hear me now!

can you hear me now!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,389 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

I am in the skeptical corner....the team did very little in the way of improving itself over the offseason...the team performed at historical levels in 1 run and extra inning games...that's not likely to happen again...

the current crop of starters is unproven and inconsistent at best, the middle of the line up does not have a reliable RBI person and frankly, still has a gaping hole at 2b (counting on Roberts is not a good idea).

they won 93 games with a run differential of +7....that's an anomoly in itself....and with only one starter with 10 wins or more...also an anomoly for a 90+ win team

the offense was 15th runs, 20th in batting average, 23rd in on base percentage and 11th in slugging %....those are middle of the road numbers and not the type that keep you in contention....

another stat from last year 72-0 -- the O's record when ahead at the end of 7...can Johnson put together another 50 save season?

that's just my take....
:eek: CYHMN Enterprises-- Manufacturing gloom and doom since 1998. :eek:

chaos, panic, disorder-- my work is done here...;)

#18 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,960 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

they won 93 games with a run differential of +7....that's an anomoly in itself

that was odd, but it is pretty easily explained. when they lost, they lost big, 15-2 type games. but they won the really close games.

of course, this leads to the record in 1 run games, and the concerns about how they will fair this year in those same games.

#19 Pickle20

Pickle20

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,293 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:10 PM

At some point you have to expect, and plan, that our pitching will improve. Everyone of our pitchers has positives and some success to build on. Plus we only have 1 spot open instead of 3 like we've had in the past. Plus our bullpen, while maybe not as dominant as last year, is still awesome.

We may not win 93 games next year but I do foresee exciting baseball well into September and that is the least that I ask for.

#20 Oriole-Bob

Oriole-Bob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:37 AM

And not only did we not add a big bat.....we SUBTRACTED a big bat in Reynolds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users