• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Gizmo

Gizmo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:08 PM

Per the article above, the O's have signed Darren O'Day for 2yrs/5.4mill with an option for a third.

O'Day was clutch for the O's so many times last year and pulled their butts out of the fire numerous times. He was one of my favorite O's by the end of last year and I'm happy a deal was worked out. Seriously, the guy was money when it counted. :)

#2 hector

hector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,381 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:39 AM

Per the article above, the O's have signed Darren O'Day for 2yrs/5.4mill with an option for a third.

O'Day was clutch for the O's so many times last year and pulled their butts out of the fire numerous times. He was one of my favorite O's by the end of last year and I'm happy a deal was worked out. Seriously, the guy was money when it counted. :)

Ms. Gizmo, I'm responding to your post for two reasons:

1. More than 1,400 people read your post and not one considered it worthy of a response. I respond out of a sense of kindness and chivalry; and

2. Beautiful ladies such as yourself should be more lady-like in your choice of words. "Pulled their butts out of the fire" is not the type of expression one normally associates with beautiful ladies.

Humble Hector

#3 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,369 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:42 AM

hector would prefer that you use the phrase "cute little fannies" when referring to the butts of MLB players.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#4 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,369 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:45 AM

O'Day was a big part of the BP last year. he said it's nice to know he'll be with the team for 2 years, because of the nature of the business, middle relievers don't often get that kind of stability.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#5 hector

hector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,381 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:32 AM

hector would prefer that you use the phrase "cute little fannies" when referring to the butts of MLB players.

It appears that weird-O's from Mitch and Murray don't know how ladies behave when in polite company. Cheers!

#6 Rael

Rael

Rational member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,588 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:03 AM

Hector, isn't it time for a new Schtick?
Pessimism is just an ugly word for 'pattern recognition'.

#7 EmDot

EmDot

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,807 posts
  • LocationIn the land of optimism

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:09 PM

Wouldn't that require brains and an imagination?
To retaliate in kind would do nothing but intensify the existence of hate in the universe. Along the way of life, someone must have sense enough, and morality enough, to cut off the chain of hate. ~~ MLK

#8 hector

hector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,381 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:33 PM

Since when has defending the honor of ladies like Ms. Gizmo become a Schtick?

#9 hector

hector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,381 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:35 PM

Wouldn't that require brains and an imagination?

Since when does defending the honor of a lady like Ms. Gizmo require brains and imagination? That's just common courtesy to me.

#10 Gizmo

Gizmo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:59 AM

Lol

I guess my diaper comment to hector really got under his skin. :)

#11 hector

hector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,381 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:34 AM

Lol

I guess my diaper comment to hector really got under his skin. :)

What diaper comment, ma'am? I assume from the avatar you're a lady. Am I incorrect?

#12 weenie

weenie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:34 AM

O'Day was a big part of the BP last year. he said it's nice to know he'll be with the team for 2 years, because of the nature of the business, middle relievers don't often get that kind of stability.

They sure do in Baltimore. The list of glorified middle relievers signed by the O's to 3 yr contracts in recent yrs is quite unimpressive. Bradford, DeJean, Baez, Walker, Timlin.......

Ironically, O'Day is IMO proving himself superior to all of them and his contract is for much less than any of those past deals, but of course that's due to multiple factors including yrs of service.

Bullpens win games, and they are the least expensive component to address. I for one am confident O'Day can step back in and resume the setup guy role he assumed last fall. I just hope Strop proves capable of adjusting. The O's in '13 will need both a 7th and 8th inning guy. O'Day was the 7th inning go to guy for most of '12 but who is that guy in '13. Hunter, Strop, Matusz, Patton, McFarland.......? It may be a bigger element in the success or failure of the coming season than most folks realize.

#13 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,369 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:34 AM

They sure do in Baltimore. The list of glorified middle relievers signed by the O's to 3 yr contracts in recent yrs is quite unimpressive. Bradford, DeJean, Baez, Walker, Timlin.......

Ironically, O'Day is IMO proving himself superior to all of them and his contract is for much less than any of those past deals, but of course that's due to multiple factors including yrs of service.

Bullpens win games, and they are the least expensive component to address. I for one am confident O'Day can step back in and resume the setup guy role he assumed last fall. I just hope Strop proves capable of adjusting. The O's in '13 will need both a 7th and 8th inning guy. O'Day was the 7th inning go to guy for most of '12 but who is that guy in '13. Hunter, Strop, Matusz, Patton, McFarland.......? It may be a bigger element in the success or failure of the coming season than most folks realize.

I've heard/read several people say the O's won't do as well this year, because they can't possibly match their 2012 record in 1 run games. that's sound logic given that their 1 run winning percentage was the best any team has had since the early 20th century.

But that success was largely due to the solid work of the BP, which is pretty much totally returning this year. I'm not worried about innings 7-9. and I think they have the arms to cover the 6th inning if need be. Strop is the one to watch. he showed some late season progress to suggest that he was coming back from his mid-season breakdown. if he gets back on track, that could be a lights out situation for the last 3 innings.

#14 hector

hector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,381 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:14 PM

I've heard/read several people say the O's won't do as well this year, because they can't possibly match their 2012 record in 1 run games. that's sound logic given that their 1 run winning percentage was the best any team has had since the early 20th century.

But that success was largely due to the solid work of the BP, which is pretty much totally returning this year. I'm not worried about innings 7-9. and I think they have the arms to cover the 6th inning if need be. Strop is the one to watch. he showed some late season progress to suggest that he was coming back from his mid-season breakdown. if he gets back on track, that could be a lights out situation for the last 3 innings.

Wasn't it the end of the season when Strop choked?

#15 EmDot

EmDot

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,807 posts
  • LocationIn the land of optimism

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:10 PM

Since when does defending the honor of a lady like Ms. Gizmo require brains and imagination? That's just common courtesy to me.

Are you imagining that Gizmo is a female? Have you met Gizmo? Are you're saying that Gizmo's gender is the opposite of that stated on said poster's profile page?
To retaliate in kind would do nothing but intensify the existence of hate in the universe. Along the way of life, someone must have sense enough, and morality enough, to cut off the chain of hate. ~~ MLK

#16 Pickle20

Pickle20

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,288 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:24 PM

He pitched well in the postseason.

#17 hector

hector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,381 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:46 AM

Are you imagining that Gizmo is a female? Have you met Gizmo? Are you're saying that Gizmo's gender is the opposite of that stated on said poster's profile page?

Never met Gizmo. I assumed Gizmo was a Lady from the avatar.

#18 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,369 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:09 AM

Never met Gizmo. I assumed Gizmo was a Lady from the avatar.

makes total sense. I've always thought Pickle20 is Ed Reed because of his avatar.

#19 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,369 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:22 AM

it was late Aug. into Sept. we can call it end of the season if that helps you to understand better. we've all grown accustomed to slowing down the conversation for he who said the O's would win 95 games in 2010 and 2011.

#20 hector

hector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,381 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:47 PM

it was late Aug. into Sept. we can call it end of the season if that helps you to understand better. we've all grown accustomed to slowing down the conversation for he who said the O's would win 95 games in 2010 and 2011.

You just can't get over the fact that my prediction was absolutely brilliant in 2012 and yours was absolutely dismal.

You have my sympathy but I'm always ready to help the disadvantaged. Try this - the O's go 84-78 in 2013 and miss the playoffs.

Regards to the puppy.

Edited by hector, 05 March 2013 - 04:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users