Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gizmo

O's sign O'Day

29 posts in this topic

Per the article above, the O's have signed Darren O'Day for 2yrs/5.4mill with an option for a third.

O'Day was clutch for the O's so many times last year and pulled their butts out of the fire numerous times. He was one of my favorite O's by the end of last year and I'm happy a deal was worked out. Seriously, the guy was money when it counted. :)

Per the article above, the O's have signed Darren O'Day for 2yrs/5.4mill with an option for a third.

O'Day was clutch for the O's so many times last year and pulled their butts out of the fire numerous times. He was one of my favorite O's by the end of last year and I'm happy a deal was worked out. Seriously, the guy was money when it counted. :)

Ms. Gizmo, I'm responding to your post for two reasons:

1. More than 1,400 people read your post and not one considered it worthy of a response. I respond out of a sense of kindness and chivalry; and

2. Beautiful ladies such as yourself should be more lady-like in your choice of words. "Pulled their butts out of the fire" is not the type of expression one normally associates with beautiful ladies.

Humble Hector

hector would prefer that you use the phrase "cute little fannies" when referring to the butts of MLB players.

O'Day was a big part of the BP last year. he said it's nice to know he'll be with the team for 2 years, because of the nature of the business, middle relievers don't often get that kind of stability.

hector would prefer that you use the phrase "cute little fannies" when referring to the butts of MLB players.

It appears that weird-O's from Mitch and Murray don't know how ladies behave when in polite company. Cheers!

Hector, isn't it time for a new Schtick?
Wouldn't that require brains and an imagination?

Hector, isn't it time for a new Schtick?

Since when has defending the honor of ladies like Ms. Gizmo become a Schtick?

Wouldn't that require brains and an imagination?

Since when does defending the honor of a lady like Ms. Gizmo require brains and imagination? That's just common courtesy to me.

Lol

I guess my diaper comment to hector really got under his skin. :)

Lol

I guess my diaper comment to hector really got under his skin. :)

What diaper comment, ma'am? I assume from the avatar you're a lady. Am I incorrect?

O'Day was a big part of the BP last year. he said it's nice to know he'll be with the team for 2 years, because of the nature of the business, middle relievers don't often get that kind of stability.

They sure do in Baltimore. The list of glorified middle relievers signed by the O's to 3 yr contracts in recent yrs is quite unimpressive. Bradford, DeJean, Baez, Walker, Timlin.......

Ironically, O'Day is IMO proving himself superior to all of them and his contract is for much less than any of those past deals, but of course that's due to multiple factors including yrs of service.

Bullpens win games, and they are the least expensive component to address. I for one am confident O'Day can step back in and resume the setup guy role he assumed last fall. I just hope Strop proves capable of adjusting. The O's in '13 will need both a 7th and 8th inning guy. O'Day was the 7th inning go to guy for most of '12 but who is that guy in '13. Hunter, Strop, Matusz, Patton, McFarland.......? It may be a bigger element in the success or failure of the coming season than most folks realize.

They sure do in Baltimore. The list of glorified middle relievers signed by the O's to 3 yr contracts in recent yrs is quite unimpressive. Bradford, DeJean, Baez, Walker, Timlin.......

Ironically, O'Day is IMO proving himself superior to all of them and his contract is for much less than any of those past deals, but of course that's due to multiple factors including yrs of service.

Bullpens win games, and they are the least expensive component to address. I for one am confident O'Day can step back in and resume the setup guy role he assumed last fall. I just hope Strop proves capable of adjusting. The O's in '13 will need both a 7th and 8th inning guy. O'Day was the 7th inning go to guy for most of '12 but who is that guy in '13. Hunter, Strop, Matusz, Patton, McFarland.......? It may be a bigger element in the success or failure of the coming season than most folks realize.

I've heard/read several people say the O's won't do as well this year, because they can't possibly match their 2012 record in 1 run games. that's sound logic given that their 1 run winning percentage was the best any team has had since the early 20th century.

But that success was largely due to the solid work of the BP, which is pretty much totally returning this year. I'm not worried about innings 7-9. and I think they have the arms to cover the 6th inning if need be. Strop is the one to watch. he showed some late season progress to suggest that he was coming back from his mid-season breakdown. if he gets back on track, that could be a lights out situation for the last 3 innings.

I've heard/read several people say the O's won't do as well this year, because they can't possibly match their 2012 record in 1 run games. that's sound logic given that their 1 run winning percentage was the best any team has had since the early 20th century.

But that success was largely due to the solid work of the BP, which is pretty much totally returning this year. I'm not worried about innings 7-9. and I think they have the arms to cover the 6th inning if need be. Strop is the one to watch. he showed some late season progress to suggest that he was coming back from his mid-season breakdown. if he gets back on track, that could be a lights out situation for the last 3 innings.

Wasn't it the end of the season when Strop choked?

Since when does defending the honor of a lady like Ms. Gizmo require brains and imagination? That's just common courtesy to me.
Are you imagining that Gizmo is a female? Have you met Gizmo? Are you're saying that Gizmo's gender is the opposite of that stated on said poster's profile page?

He pitched well in the postseason.

Are you imagining that Gizmo is a female? Have you met Gizmo? Are you're saying that Gizmo's gender is the opposite of that stated on said poster's profile page?

Never met Gizmo. I assumed Gizmo was a Lady from the avatar.

Never met Gizmo. I assumed Gizmo was a Lady from the avatar.

makes total sense. I've always thought Pickle20 is Ed Reed because of his avatar.

it was late Aug. into Sept. we can call it end of the season if that helps you to understand better. we've all grown accustomed to slowing down the conversation for he who said the O's would win 95 games in 2010 and 2011.

it was late Aug. into Sept. we can call it end of the season if that helps you to understand better. we've all grown accustomed to slowing down the conversation for he who said the O's would win 95 games in 2010 and 2011.

You just can't get over the fact that my prediction was absolutely brilliant in 2012 and yours was absolutely dismal.

You have my sympathy but I'm always ready to help the disadvantaged. Try this - the O's go 84-78 in 2013 and miss the playoffs.

Regards to the puppy.

You just can't get over the fact that my prediction was absolutely brilliant in 2011 and yours was absolutely dismal.

You have my sympathy but I'm always ready to help the disadvantaged. Try this - the O's go 84-78 in 2013 and miss the playoffs.

Regards to the puppy.

your prediction was 95 wins. the O's won 69 games. that's a 26 win differential. clearly your definition of "brilliant" has a great deal of lateral movement built into it.

I guess that makes my 2012 prediction spectacular.

thanks for the compliment Hector.

your prediction was 95 wins. the O's won 69 games. that's a 26 win differential. clearly your definition of "brilliant" has a great deal of lateral movement built into it.

I guess that makes my 2012 prediction spectacular.

thanks for the compliment Hector.

I am always one ready to acknowledge brilliance when it's right in front of my eyes (such as a mirror).

As for you, sad to say your predictions are getting worse and worse as the years go by and the infirmaties of age set in. Hang on to the dog.

Always ready to give a helping hand to the needy, I offer you an advance look at the O's 2013 season - 84-78 and no playoffs. When the 2013 prediction thread comes out, feel free to jump on the Hector Express and predict 84-78.

I am always one ready to acknowledge brilliance when it's right in front of my eyes (such as a mirror).

As for you, sad to say your predictions are getting worse and worse as the years go by and the infirmaties of age set in. Hang on to the dog.

Always ready to give a helping hand to the needy, I offer you an advance look at the O's 2013 season - 84-78 and no playoffs. When the 2013 prediction thread comes out, feel free to jump on the Hector Express and predict 84-78.

hmmm. be a winner, like I almost always am...or join team Fail Hector.

when you're right more than a stopped clock, I'll entertain the idea of letting you join me in the winner's circle.

hmmm. be a winner, like I almost always am...or join team Fail Hector.

when you're right more than a stopped clock, I'll entertain the idea of letting you join me in the winner's circle.

It never ceases to amaze that someone who predicted 64 wins for the O's in 2012 could question the brilliance of someone that predicted 95. Your self-proclaimed name of weird-O is very appropriate. What's the name of your dog?

Looking forward instead of back, the O's go 84-78 in 2013 and miss the playoffs. You're welcome to jump on board the Hector Express.

It never ceases to amaze that someone who predicted 64 wins for the O's in 2012 could question the brilliance of someone that predicted 95. Your self-proclaimed name of weird-O is very appropriate. What's the name of your dog?

Looking forward instead of back, the O's go 84-78 in 2013 and miss the playoffs. You're welcome to jump on board the Hector Express.

It never ceases to amaze that someone who predicted 95 wins for the O's in 2011 could question the brilliance of someone that predicted 69. Your self-proclaimed brilliance is very inappropriate.

Looking forward instead of back? all if the sudden you don't want to talk about past predictions? I can't blame you. if I was only right once, I would want to move on as well. this certainly is good news for the board. we won't have to suffer your boundless self contratulating about your 2012 prediction.