Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

demopublican

UNC and UVA offered upgrade to Big Ten

16 posts in this topic

I just don't see UNC leaving the ACC

...and, based on what I read, the head of the ACC is a former UNC alumni.

If that's true, there's no chance.

Rumors started by people associated with Maryland.

I read both UVA and UNC have already declined B1G's offer. There's still an offer to Georgia Tech though.

On another note, Cincinnati has taken a proactive stance in seeking ACC admission:

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20130218/NEWS01/302180097/EXCLUSIVE-UC-touts-Nippert-overhaul-bid-woo-ACC

Rumors started by people associated with Maryland.

I read both UVA and UNC have already declined B1G's offer. There's still an offer to Georgia Tech though.

On another note, Cincinnati has taken a proactive stance in seeking ACC admission:

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20130218/NEWS01/302180097/EXCLUSIVE-UC-touts-Nippert-overhaul-bid-woo-ACC

Can you link to a reputable source that can confirm any of this?

Everything ii've read are from various blog sites.

This seems to be the origin for all the tweets and blogs. 247 is a Md site -

"Jeff Erman 247Sports recently tweeted Virginia, Georgia Tech and North Carolina are all being courted to one degree or another by Big Ten commissioner Jim Delaney.

Erman said that North Carolina has already gotten an official offer while Virginia and Georgia Tech are still in the initial stages.

Big 10 talk buzzing again. #UVA being mentioned often as likely to join. Georgia Tech still in the mix. #UNC, the big domino, has an offer.

— Jeff Ermann (@insidemdsports) February 19, 2013

The Sporting News points out that Erman was the one who correctly broke the story that Maryland was moving to the Big Ten but that there appears to be some*push-back*on this particular story.

According to another tweet, this time by USA Today’s Dan Wolken, North Carolina officials are claiming that a move is not imminent. This does not mean that they don’t have an offer.

Never say never, I guess, but after talking with UNC officials tonight the idea they have anything going on with the B1G seems far-fetched

— Dan Wolken (@DanWolken) February 20, 2013

Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/534094/big-ten-expansion-north-carolina-reportedly-has-offer-to-move-from-acc/#W3JIC61rbDkFK8uQ.99

I think B1G’s nondisclosure agreement with prospective invitees pretty much negates the possibility of any source being credible. The B1G bloggers and forum posters got both the Rutgers and Maryland invitations right because a broken clock is right twice a day and, quite frankly, those two schools were easy pickings.

This whole conference expansion situation is one of the only cases I can recall from recent memory where the rumors have been right more often than not. It's pretty easy to see why UNC, UVA and Ga Tech are the top candidates for the 15th and 16th B1G teams - they're top national research institutions and would get the B1G into the Carolinas, VA and/or GA. I would've targeted UCONN over UVA but UNC so the B10 can expand its footprint into New England and strengthen the basketball credentials, but UVA isn't a bad alternative.

I think B1G’s nondisclosure agreement with prospective invitees pretty much negates the possibility of any source being credible. The B1G bloggers and forum posters got both the Rutgers and Maryland invitations right because a broken clock is right twice a day and, quite frankly, those two schools were easy pickings.

An NDA wouldn't stop a low-level employee at one of the schools, a booster, or a third party from tipping off the press. Also, the bloggers and posters were right about Rutgers and MD because their opinions were based on actions taken previously by the B1G and other conferences; specifically, maximizing TV revenue. And Rutgers and MD got the B1G into 2 of the biggest TV markets in the nation.

This whole conference expansion situation is one of the only cases I can recall from recent memory where the rumors have been right more often than not. It's pretty easy to see why UNC, UVA and Ga Tech are the top candidates for the 15th and 16th B1G teams - they're top national research institutions and would get the B1G into the Carolinas, VA and/or GA. I would've targeted UCONN over UVA but UNC so the B10 can expand its footprint into New England and strengthen the basketball credentials, but UVA isn't a bad alternative.

At this point I think B1G should be targeting Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas or Kansas State. That would give it three large state schools, albeit only 1 AAU school, plus recruiting access to the south. I would allow Texas to keep the revenues it generates from its own network and also would permit each school to develop its own sources of revenue, outside the collective.

An NDA wouldn't stop a low-level employee at one of the schools, a booster, or a third party from tipping off the press. Also, the bloggers and posters were right about Rutgers and MD because their opinions were based on actions taken previously by the B1G and other conferences; specifically, maximizing TV revenue. And Rutgers and MD got the B1G into 2 of the biggest TV markets in the nation.

It's my understanding the B1G NDA prohibits info from being filtered down from the top. In other words, the info should be flowing laterally, for example, from president to chancellor to regent. IIRC, the leaks came from B1G sources and opposed to Rutgers and Maryland sources. So it appears the NDA is working, at least on the invitees side of the transaction.

At this point I think B1G should be targeting Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas or Kansas State. That would give it three large state schools, albeit only 1 AAU school, plus recruiting access to the south. I would allow Texas to keep the revenues it generates from its own network and also would permit each school to develop its own sources of revenue, outside the collective.

I think only Texas would qualify for admission considering that Nebraska had its AAU membership revoked in 2011 and its chancellor said they wouldn't have been invited to join the B1G if it hadn't been an AAU member at the time the invitation was extended. I also don't know what the B1G would have to offer Texas.

I think only Texas would qualify for admission considering that Nebraska had its AAU membership revoked in 2011 and its chancellor said they wouldn't have been invited to join the B1G if it hadn't been an AAU member at the time the invitation was extended. I also don't know what the B1G would have to offer Texas.

You're correct, but the fact that Nebraska hasn't been expelled from B1G should be looked at as favorable to non-AAU schools like Oklahoma and Kansas. Texas, otoh, would benefit from better competition in both football and basketball and from membership in CIC.

Point of reference from various Big Ten web sites (since expansion rumors started a few years ago):

- Of the teams you mentioned, Texas was the only school the BiG was truly interested in. But the TV revenue that Texas makes (by themselves) - Longhorn Network, I believe - is more than what the BiG could offer them...and, the BiG has no interest in cutting a special deal with Texas, that would allow them to keep their own revenue. This was THE stumbling point with bringing in Notre Dame. They are either an "equal sharing partner", or they are not a partner at all. Look at either Michigan or OSU. They generate more $$ than Texas, yet, remain an equal sharing patner. Imagine the turmoil if the BiG cut a special deal with texas?? Michigan and OSU would bolt. But this won't ever happen. No special deals for ANY member school. Not negotiable.

- Okla, Kansas, KState would do nothing to expand the BiG's TV market into high population areas of the country...and right now, that's what it's about with Maryland and Rutgers. Nebraska was a one time exception, and quite frankly, many BiG fans were surprised by this move.

- The BiG aready recruits pretty well in the South/Texas....especially when you consider the SEC competition. Who's added has little to do with opening up recruiting regions. Michigan and OSU can recruit well wherever they go. They won't get everyone they want in the South...but they will pick up their share of top players, regardless of the state.

- The prize is, and always has been, Notre Dame. Unfortunately, as long as they have the NBC contract, ND is not interested in any revenue sharing deal with the BiG. They don't have to...well, so long as they continue to win.

- Personally, if the expansion is primarily about football, and TV markets....then GaTech makes the most sense to me. Not to mention that many Big Ten schools (ie, Illinois, Purdue, Michigan, OSU and Penn State) have strong engineering programs. Three of the top 10 engineering programs in the nation - Michigan, Illinois and Purdue - are Big ten schools. Adding GaTech would make it 4, and would be another feather in that portfolio.

The Sporting News points out that Erman was the one who correctly broke the story that Maryland was moving to the Big Ten but that there appears to be some*push-back*on this particular story.