ESPN: The O's will finish in last place

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:45 PM

I don't have the issue, so I didn't get to read the article or see how they explain why they will finish in last. but it seemed like something worth posting

http://www.baltimore...0,4330560.story
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#2 LarryN

LarryN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,905 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

I wonder how much analysis they had to do to figure out that Andrew Luck has better legs than RGIII? Maybe just watch the video of the Haloti Ngata hit a few times?

As far as the Orioles finishing last...I don't doubt it could happen. I think places one through five is the AL East are all up for grabs this year.
"She's like the ex-girlfriend they're SO over, never want to see again, have already forgotten about -- really, it's O-ver -- but they just can't stop talking about her." --- Ann Coulter, discussing Sarah Palin

#3 NCBirdfan

NCBirdfan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,655 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

I guess there is no need to waste my time watching the games on MASN then, since the outcome is already etched in stone. ESPN was really good at predicting the late-season swoon the Orioles exhibited last year, touting how lucky they were in the earlier part of the season. And the Orioles did indeed drop like a hot potato after the All-Star Break...

...oh wait! :D
-----------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
- Mark Twain

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#4 NCBirdfan

NCBirdfan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,655 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:02 PM

I wonder how much analysis they had to do to figure out that Andrew Luck has better legs than RGIII? Maybe just watch the video of the Haloti Ngata hit a few times?

As far as the Orioles finishing last...I don't doubt it could happen. I think places one through five is the AL East are all up for grabs this year.

I agree. But ESPN has no inside track on the fate of the Orioles this year, any more than you or I. They are still trying to prove they were right all along last year and if the Orioles fall this year, the network will have their big-mouths claiming, "I told you so."

Edited by NCBirdfan, 25 February 2013 - 03:17 PM.

-----------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
- Mark Twain

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#5 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,970 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

Not that ESPN needs me to defend them, but I can certainly understand why they would pick so. The Orioles have done almost nothing to improve the team, on paper at least. If I were the Orioles, I would certainly take this as motivation to be the very best team in baseball. While I am disappointed in the offseason stagnation, I certainly won't say it can't be done. There's nothing better than rooting for the underdog and having them come out on top.

#6 Gizmo

Gizmo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,720 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:53 PM

Wait for it...

#7 Pickle20

Pickle20

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,288 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:50 PM

They picked the Orioles to finish last season too.

#8 BiggSeth

BiggSeth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,031 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

I guess we don't need to worry about watching all 162 games on MASN (and other networks), miss all those commercials selling us things like Jack Daniels and Toyotas....

I suppose we don't need to go to games this year, since the all knowing yappity yaps at espn have deemed the Orioles as losers!

I don't know what I will do with all my summer evenings now that I am no longer concerned about how the O's do this year after PROVING EVERY TALKING HEAD WRONG LAST SEASON.....
The essence of Freedom is the proper limitation of Government.....

#9 Brian

Brian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,188 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

The O's really didn't improve this off season,the fact is they might be a little weaker. The one bright spot will be a healthy Reimold. Time will tell,I don't think the Yankees will be that strong either.

#10 durango46

durango46

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,955 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:11 PM

ESPN should have asked me how I felt

I would have told them that the Yankees will finish last

BOOK IT

#11 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,964 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:22 PM

The O's may not have done much this off season but other than the Blue Jays neither did anyone else in the division. We do know Duquette won't sit on his hands if things go poorly.

#12 Joy in Mudville

Joy in Mudville

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,959 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:58 PM

The Yankees are a walking disaster area. The Rays didn't do much but they are always competitive. I think the O's are marginally better this year than last and if the pitching takes a step forward they could be very good. A lot rides on BRob. If he's healthy, he's definitely an upgrade over Andino.

#13 infinite looper

infinite looper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:57 PM

The Yankees are a walking disaster area. The Rays didn't do much but they are always competitive. I think the O's are marginally better this year than last and if the pitching takes a step forward they could be very good. A lot rides on BRob. If he's healthy, he's definitely an upgrade over Andino.

Take away the 16-2 extra inning record and replace it with something much closer to .500. How are they better again?

#14 Joy in Mudville

Joy in Mudville

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,959 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:22 PM

Take away the 16-2 extra inning record and replace it with something much closer to .500. How are they better again?

Compared to April of last year...

They are better defensively and offensively at 3rd.

Davis is an offensive upgrade over Reynolds and we'll see what he brings defensively

Roberts is better at 2nd and in the order than Andino

An outfield of Reimold, McClouth, Markakis, and Jones is a better outfield than what we were able to field last year.

We're getting Wada at some point this year and generally have very good pitching depth. Like I said, we're marginally better.

Our extra inning record reflects an excellent bullpen and very good defense. That hasn't changed. What has changed is that we are better offensively.

#15 infinite looper

infinite looper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:38 PM

I'd argue the extra inning record largely reflects luck. Nobody had done that since what, the 40s?

#16 Omaha Beach

Omaha Beach

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,335 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:24 AM

Isnt this the same sports network that was full of so called experts in December and January saying the Ravens could not beat the Broncos, Patriots and 49ers?

#17 OsfaninCA

OsfaninCA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:35 AM

Isnt this the same sports network that was full of so called experts in December and January saying the Ravens could not beat the Broncos, Patriots and 49ers?

This!

#18 Joy in Mudville

Joy in Mudville

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,959 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:44 AM

While I don't think the O's will finish last, the truth is that the division is strong enough that the last place team could still have a winning record.

#19 Brian

Brian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,188 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:56 AM

Reimold has speed and power,he needs to play daily to be effective. That platoon crap dosen't work for everyone and he's one of those who it dosen't work well for.

#20 LarryN

LarryN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,905 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:48 AM

While I don't think the O's will finish last, the truth is that the division is strong enough that the last place team could still have a winning record.

Agreed. As I said earlier, any team finishing in any spot 1 thru 5 in the AL East wouldn't surprise me, nor would all five finishing over .500. Anyone making any "analytical" prediction of the 2013 AL East is full of ****. They're just guessing.
"She's like the ex-girlfriend they're SO over, never want to see again, have already forgotten about -- really, it's O-ver -- but they just can't stop talking about her." --- Ann Coulter, discussing Sarah Palin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users