• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,955 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:18 PM

he looked pretty good today with a couple of doubles
BUT...
Can he stay healthy ?
Will he have a good season ?

Sure could make the Orioles a lot better at 2nd base. Andino was awful....and Flaherty wasn't much better last year. But I will say this....I wanted to sit Andino and let Flaherty get a legit shot at the job.

I for one am rooting for Roberts to have a healthy productive season.

#2 Oriole Dave

Oriole Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:38 PM

He had full off-season of working-out, that should help. If Roberts is healthy and getting on-base, I hope Buck protects him and has him DH’ing a couple days a week.

#3 Gizmo

Gizmo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:10 PM

I am not counting on him for anything, but if he is able to contribute in any way that would be great.

I really hope that he was able to regain some of his size and strength in off season work-outs. He was a shell of his former self when he came back last year and his hitting was evidence of that.

#4 Struds

Struds

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:11 AM

He is maybe the biggest "what if" on the hitting side; if he regains his ability to get on base regularly and some of his old ability to steal bases, Markakis, Jones, Davis and Wieters should get a lot more RBI opportunities than last year.

Perhaps this possibility is part of the reason Duquette did not go after a big hitter during the off season.

#5 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,864 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:31 AM

conservatively speaking, I expect he'll play in 50-ish games. it's been years since he was able to stand up to the rigors of a full season. and I don't see where anything has changed that will suddenly make him a fulltime player a few months later and year older.

he's a veteran, so he will be able to handle himself when he plays. Flaherty and Casilla should be the guys to get all the time at 2B. Casilla is as good a 2nd baseman as Roberts was in his prime. so the O's have a defensive replacement in house, if he can hit, the job is his.

I think Flaherty was on track to steal the 2B job from Andino, but then he got hurt. he has pop in his bat, so he will be given every opportunity to get ABs if that continues.

there just isn't any room for BRob. and unless something has really changed since last Spring, there isn't any need for him either.

I for one am rooting for Roberts to have a healthy productive season.

me too. he is a good guy and he was a fine ball player.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#6 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,694 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:59 AM

A full season of BRob healthy and back to similar levels as before the concussions would basically equate to a good FA acquisition.
It would also give more lineup flexibility for the rest of the lineup.
He also provides opportunities for the rest of the guys to see pitches, something which they lacked last year.
This lineup is starting to look very long.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#7 weenie

weenie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

[quote name='weird-O']conservatively speaking, I expect he'll play in 50-ish games. it's been years since he was able to stand up to the rigors of a full season. and I don't see where anything has changed that will suddenly make him a fulltime player a few months later and year older.

The negativity toward Roberts and Reimold is both valid and perhaps excessive.

I heard similar rhetoric about Hardy when he arrived in town. The toxic crowd regularly reminded me that the guy had missed many games during the prior few seasons and he was not getting any younger either. Few gave JJ a chance of standing the rigors of a full season in 2012 but how many games did he start last year.

It's easy to get down on guys when your team is losing and their contribution is missed. But, I just can't get why fans completely dismiss the possibilities that Reimold, Wada and Roberts might bring to '13

#8 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,864 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

The negativity toward Roberts and Reimold is both valid and perhaps excessive.

I heard similar rhetoric about Hardy when he arrived in town. The toxic crowd regularly reminded me that the guy had missed many games during the prior few seasons and he was not getting any younger either. Few gave JJ a chance of standing the rigors of a full season in 2012 but how many games did he start last year.

It's easy to get down on guys when your team is losing and their contribution is missed. But, I just can't get why fans completely dismiss the possibilities that Reimold, Wada and Roberts might bring to '13

if you don't like my opinion, get your own.

what is this ridiculous reply? I offered reasons why I don't think the guy will be able to play a full season. I didn't release venom or say "I hope he doesn't play a full season" if my assessment is so off base, why has the FO added multiple players to cover the 2B position?

I guess they're being "negative toward Roberts" too.

and since you're not afraid to call people out, I'll respond in kind. comparing Roberts to Hardy isn't adding any credibility either. Hardy is in his prime, and has never played less than 100 games a season. Roberts has barely played 100 games in the last 3 seasons combined.

all you did was claim that I'm hating on the player. then you lumped me in with a nameless crowd of posters who have hated on other players. then you accused us of getting down on the team because they're losing?

it's spring training weenie. there is no significant winning/losing going on.

by the way, where are the details to support why you are convinced he will be the everyday player he was 5 seasons ago? I assume you think he will be since you went all out to rip me for feeling differently.

you're a piece of work :rolleyes:

Edited by weird-O, 26 February 2013 - 12:16 PM.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#9 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,864 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:45 PM

here's an interesting blurb on Roberts

"They say that those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Perhaps they should also say, 'Those with glass bones shouldn't play baseball.'"

Any projection of Roberts' stats for 2013 has to first account for his vast injury history. PECOTA projects the second baseman to make 250 plate appearances (which would be his most since 2010), and they have him posting a line of .260/.355/.388 with four homers, 15 doubles and nine stolen bases.

While those numbers are respectable, the BP assessment also ends with this: "Even in his brief time on the field last year, Roberts looked to be an absolute mess, and two of his biggest assets, speed and defense, may have declined to the point that he will no longer be a suitable starter even if he recovers from hip surgery."

#10 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,841 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:12 PM

If Roberts comes back and contributes anything like his old self it will help this team a lot and be a great story. I think that is a long shot based on his age and injury history. I am pulling for him to have a great year, just not counting on it.

#11 O for the Seventies

O for the Seventies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:33 PM

Take it to the bank. 155 games at second base. A career-high .326 average and the fifth Oriole to reach 200 hits in a season. 55 doubles, 16 taters, and 120 runs scored (scoring many of his runs on Reimold's 42 home runs). A gold glove to boot. Guy's been resting up for three years for the big second half of his career.

#12 durango46

durango46

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,955 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

Take it to the bank. 155 games at second base. A career-high .326 average and the fifth Oriole to reach 200 hits in a season. 55 doubles, 16 taters, and 120 runs scored (scoring many of his runs on Reimold's 42 home runs). A gold glove to boot. Guy's been resting up for three years for the big second half of his career.

oh yeah

I like it....:D

#13 weenie

weenie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:55 AM

if you don't like my opinion, get your own.

what is this ridiculous reply? I offered reasons why I don't think the guy will be able to play a full season. I didn't release venom or say "I hope he doesn't play a full season" if my assessment is so off base, why has the FO added multiple players to cover the 2B position?

I guess they're being "negative toward Roberts" too.

and since you're not afraid to call people out, I'll respond in kind. comparing Roberts to Hardy isn't adding any credibility either. Hardy is in his prime, and has never played less than 100 games a season. Roberts has barely played 100 games in the last 3 seasons combined.

all you did was claim that I'm hating on the player. then you lumped me in with a nameless crowd of posters who have hated on other players. then you accused us of getting down on the team because they're losing?

it's spring training weenie. there is no significant winning/losing going on.

by the way, where are the details to support why you are convinced he will be the everyday player he was 5 seasons ago? I assume you think he will be since you went all out to rip me for feeling differently.

you're a piece of work :rolleyes:

Wow, someone is a little sensitive today huh? I thought you were a moderate, sane poster in the past but you have turned very dark of late. And your skin is getting a bit thin too.

Regarding Roberts, we all know he's 35 but that does not mean he is using a walker to run the bases. It all about increments. Would you rather have a healthy BRob circa 2013 or Andino/Casilla/Flaherty at 2nd. And don't go on a tangent like so many do lamenting why Hill, Uggla or some other marginal alternative was not brought in.

Look, B Rob is not likely to have an average over .300 or an OBP over .400 but his presence at the top of the lineup, if/when he hits over .250 with an OBP over. 300 will infuse the team with a legitimate table setter who can run the bases. But, by now, based on your comments, I surmise your measurement for Brian's success in 2013 will rely on a benchmark of how well he did at age 27 in 2005. I'll choose instead to use a benchmark relying on the recent alternatives the O's have been forced to employ.

Frankly, unlike some, I'm optimistic about 2nd. With Roberts healthy and both Flaherty and Schoop showing some potential, I'm seeing light ahead but some can only live in darkness. You surprised me though. I never saw you as the doom and gloom type.

#14 weenie

weenie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:59 AM

here's an interesting blurb on Roberts

Seems like your whole platform is based on an opinion that largely relies on a 17 game sample when Roberts already had the injury but failed to acknowledge it.

Please apply that sampling approach to any player and see where it gets ya.

And, though we all like the projections (.355 OBP) in the article, I frankly give no credence to projections that start with virtually no recent performance basis and arbitrarily project nonetheless. Nor do you apparently, but for other reasons.

#15 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,864 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:15 AM

Wow, someone is a little sensitive today huh? I thought you were a moderate, sane poster in the past but you have turned very dark of late. And your skin is getting a bit thin too.

seriously, look at your reply to me. it didn't detail why you disagree with me, you just tagged me as being down on the team. which I really am not.

Regarding Roberts, we all know he's 35 but that does not mean he is using a walker to run the bases. It all about increments. Would you rather have a healthy BRob circa 2013 or Andino/Casilla/Flaherty at 2nd. And don't go on a tangent like so many do lamenting why Hill, Uggla or some other marginal alternative was not brought in.

last point first. I don't think they needed to bring in a FA. for 2 reasons, they have Flaherty now, and Schoop on the horizon, and there weren't any FAs that will produce better than the players they already have for the position.
I may be alone, but I think Flaherty can be a fixture at the position. And, as I mentioned before, Casilla's resume says he can give the O's everything Roberts once was.

Look, B Rob is not likely to have an average over .300 or an OBP over .400 but his presence at the top of the lineup, if/when he hits over .250 with an OBP over. 300 will infuse the team with a legitimate table setter who can run the bases.

how far over .250 & .300? he needs to do much better than those two numbers to be considered a table setter and impact lead off batter.

based on your comments, I surmise your measurement for Brian's success in 2013 will rely on a benchmark of how well he did at age 27 in 2005. I'll choose instead to use a benchmark relying on the recent alternatives the O's have been forced to employ.

comparing him to Andino or Q doesn't make any sense, since neither player is with the team this year. and they only got to play 2B last year (and Andino the two previous years) because Roberts couldn't get off the DL. I'm looking at who he has been for the last 3 years. I don't know what you're using to arrive at your appraisal, but it seem to be his stats from 4 or 5 years ago.

possible? yes. likely? no
teams with sustained success build on likely to probable.

Frankly, unlike some, I'm optimistic about 2nd. With Roberts healthy and both Flaherty and Schoop showing some potential, I'm seeing light ahead but some can only live in darkness. You surprised me though. I never saw you as the doom and gloom type.

well, I guess that's because you have assigned an opinion to me, rather than ask or read what my opinion is. I said I don't see Roberts as the everyday player at 2B. you took that opinon and morphed it into, "I'm down on this whole team".

and that's not me being to thin-skinned, that's me pointing out how very wrong you are

#16 TheIcon

TheIcon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,817 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:25 AM

Considering the amount of games he has played in the past few years I expect nothing and feel we should have taken a stance of moving on. I get we can't dump his contract but that doesn't mean we can't move on none the less.
I'm a Legend in Japan

#17 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,864 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:28 AM

Seems like your whole platform is based on an opinion that largely relies on a 17 game sample when Roberts already had the injury but failed to acknowledge it.

Please apply that sampling approach to any player and see where it gets ya.

And, though we all like the projections (.355 OBP) in the article, I frankly give no credence to projections that start with virtually no recent performance basis and arbitrarily project nonetheless. Nor do you apparently, but for other reasons.

once again, you have made several incorrect assumptions about my opinion. maybe that's why I appear thin-skinned. it's actually agitation at having to go into great detail to point out how hard it is for you to comprehend what I'm saying.

I didn't post that BP quote as my opinion. I was sharing info that is relevant to the discussion.

and I laugh at the idea that you're criticizing them and me for using "virtually no recent performance". do you not realize he hasn't been a dependable player for 3 years. that's not such a small sample. it's much more than 17 games. it's actually 486 games. and after appearing in 115 out of 486 games, I came to the conclusion that it isn't prudent to count on him as an everyday player.

#18 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,864 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:34 AM

Considering the amount of games he has played in the past few years I expect nothing and feel we should have taken a stance of moving on. I get we can't dump his contract but that doesn't mean we can't move on none the less.

his contract ends this year. thankfully, this is the last year this situation will be brought up. the team has been in a holding pattern for the last few years, because you can't go out and get a real replacement for the guy. if he had actually been able to play, they would have 2 players for 1 position.

it all ends this year. then he can move on to a team that will take a flyer on him for a few $100K.

#19 Manny

Manny

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,218 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:03 PM

Peter Angelos made a brilliant decision when he stopped any trade talk of Robrets in favor of signing him to a long-term deal. Who needs baseball people when they have the brilliant foresight of Peter and his sons?

#20 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,864 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

Peter Angelos made a brilliant decision when he stopped any trade talk of Robrets in favor of signing him to a long-term deal. Who needs baseball people when they have the brilliant foresight of Peter and his sons?

but that's hindsight. he had been durable. most years he played in 150+ games. he should have been traded, because the team had no plans to complete, so why have a player in his prime if you're not going to compete for several years. but the contract it'self was earned. Like Albert Belle, there's no way to predict he would suddenly become a china doll.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users