Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

afan

A really cool thing before every Raven Home game

42 posts in this topic

When the colors hit the field the song heard is Proud to be an American and to a person everyone stands. No announcement is made for anyone to stand and remove their hats etc. It is a give me and when I go to away games, Miami and San Diego as well as NE and Philly I never hear this, the announcer has to tell everyone to stand etc. I think this has been going on for at least 10 years and wonder if any of you have seen this in away games? This is neat to see and I'm proud to be an American as well as a Raven fan

I never stood for the playing of this song, and I was a season ticket holder from 1996-2009.

At the games I stood up for one song, the National Anthem, and no other.

And I wasn't alone, many people also sit during Lee Greenwood's caterwauling.

I never stood for the playing of this song, and I was a season ticket holder from 1996-2009.

While it is not mandatory to stand I would say a good 90% of those n my section stand and I have been a STH since the day the Ravens came to Baltimore. You seem to be trying to make a big deal but others will attest to the majority of fans do stand during the song. Try starting trouble on another thread. I thought what afan said to be refreshing and I'm no redneck.

This is going to turn into a political thread, I just know it.

Inevitably, that means that one side will be shouting that the other is full of freedom-hating, anti-American communists, while the other side will be going red in the face telling them that they're brainwashed, intolerant zealots who want nothing more than to tell every minority group to go screw themselves.

Lets just cut to the chase, agree to disagree, and realize that it's possible to be a hard working, tolerant, respectful, proud American, or a lazy, intolerant, disrespectful embarrassment, and everything in between, regardless of which party you vote for. Not every issue has to be the stage for a political warzone.

Agreed? Great.

(And for the record Afan, none of that is directed at your specifically. I don't see anything wrong with this thread - just the direction it might take).

This is going to turn into a political thread, I just know it.

Inevitably, that means that one side will be shouting that the other is full of freedom-hating, anti-American communists, while the other side will be going red in the face telling them that they're brainwashed, intolerant zealots who want nothing more than to tell every minority group to go screw themselves.

Lets just cut to the chase, agree to disagree, and realize that it's possible to be a hard working, tolerant, respectful, proud American, or a lazy, intolerant, disrespectful embarrassment, and everything in between, regardless of which party you vote for. Not every issue has to be the grounds for a political warzone.

Agreed? Great.

(And for the record Afan, none of that is directed at your specifically. I don't see anything wrong with this thread - just the direction it might take).

Thanks. You just ruined what could have been a pretty good argument.

I'm not rightwing at all. Lee Greenwood is very much a right winger but this song is very patriotic and I for one love it. I don't care if your right wing or left wing. If you are not proud to be an American, why are you living in it. Just a question but this song as you say is not or should not be a political issue. I'm not blasting you Slide and I like you hope people just write about what the OP ask. Do any of you hear this song in other stadiums. Not a bad question and also I would love to know if it gets played before the National Anthem if it is played.

I'm not rightwing at all. Lee Greenwood is very much a right winger but this song is very patriotic and I for one love it. I don't care if your right wing or left wing. If you are not proud to be an American, why are you living in it. Just a question but this song as you say is not or should not be a political issue. I'm not blasting you Slide and I like you hope people just write about what the OP ask. Do any of you hear this song in other stadiums. Not a bad question and also I would love to know if it gets played before the National Anthem if it is played.

No offense taken, I know what you mean.

I haven't been to a Ravens game since 2001 (lived out of the area since 2008, and was your stereotypical poor college student before that, so it just didn't happen often) so I don't really have any information on the subject. I don't mind the song though.

I don't and won't stand for that song. I have come to hate hearing it played and people looking at those who don't stand like they are doing something wrong. I wish the Ravens would stop playing it before each game, enough already.

I have yet to hear it played in any other stadium and have asked other fans if it is played in their stadium and the answer is no.

Also please don't tell me who is qualified to be an American or if one is or is not proud to be here based off a country song.

I don't stand when they play this either......it bothers me when everyone stands up during this song but has to be told to stand and remove their hats during the national anthem!

I stand. Not because I have to and not because I'm supposed to. I stand because I want to! The colors are being paraded onto the field and one of the color guards are men and women in uniform. I'll always stand for that. FYI: The song is not called "Proud to be....." it's called "God Bless The U.S.A."

I stand. Not because I have to and not because I'm supposed to. I stand because I want to! The colors are being paraded onto the field and one of the color guards are men and women in uniform. I'll always stand for that. FYI: The song is not called "Proud to be....." it's called "God Bless The U.S.A."

I disagree. The colors are not coming on the field during this song. That happens during the National Anthem, which I stand for every time.

I disagree. The colors are not coming on the field during this song. That happens during the National Anthem, which I stand for every time.

Agreed. I have heard that excuse used before for standing for that stupid song. Again I would love to see the Ravens stop playing it but seeing how this country will always be at "war", I doubt they will.

I disagree. The colors are not coming on the field during this song. That happens during the National Anthem,
Agreed. I have heard that excuse used before for standing for that stupid song

Sorry fella's, the videos proves otherwise

God Bless The U.S.A. 3

There are many more.

B)

You either don't go to games or enter the stadium to late. The colors have come out from the tunnel as this song starts continues down the east end swing around the Ravens side and to mid field. Usually by the end of the song the colors are in place and the National Anthem song by the same guy who has a great voice for years. Like I said you must get in the stadium late.

Like I said just about everyone stands during the song....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2HjleKLPh0

Jessup270 probably doesn't stand. He probably tells those who are standing to sit down, too.

One of the guys who sits in front of me is a Vietnam vet. He stands when the colors are coming onto the field, it doesn't really matter what song is being played. I also stand. I don't remove my hat until the actual anthem is played. FWIW.

One of the guys who sits in front of me is a Vietnam vet. He stands when the colors are coming onto the field, it doesn't really matter what song is being played. I also stand. I don't remove my hat until the actual anthem is played. FWIW.
Yes I think that is what many do. I also think the song shows us how proud we are as Americans and how we can have this open discussion on this site without fear of retrimand. To each his own but nice

I personally stand the whole game and don't wear a hat. I don't care for this song mainly because I don't like that he is making money off of us being at war. Now if he gives the profits to vets or something like that then I will change my opinion.

One thing that really does make me mad is when we have a nationally televised game and we have a celebrity sing the National Anthem. None of them are as good as the regular guy M. Miller. I think it is disrespectful to him to say "when the whole country is watching we would rather have someone famous sing but the rest of the time you are good enough" Just my opinion.

Really we need a song to show us how proud we are to be "American"? Now to me that's comical but if that were to be the case then why not a good one?

Ray Charles - America the Beautiful

Kate Smith - God Bless America

James Brown - Living in America

Neil Diamond - America

Prince - America

Bruce Springsteen - Born in the U.S.A.

John Melloncamp - Ain't that America

all of them blow away that song we are forced to listen to now.

A song to show how proud we are...LOL

Really we need a song to show us how proud we are to be "American"? Now to me that's comical but if that were to be the case then why not a good one?

Neil Diamond - America

Prince - America

Agreed, all better songs. I love this country & respect soldiers who've fought for it (including members of my family), but I wouldn't stand for the Greenwood song, it's worse than 'Renegade'.

Neil Diamond - America

Prince - America

Love me some Ray Charles. IINM SB XXXV was the last time he sang it at a Super Bowl, so that should have special meaning here in Baltimore.