3 replies to this topic

#1 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,484 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:49 PM

interesting read, can't imagine letting anyone have a go at my eyes with a blunt object or post surgery treatment of “eye drops of blood from slaughtered pigeons, pulverized sugar or baked salt,” ....

Among medical mysteries involving master musicians, it doesn’t quite match the still-mysterious death of Mozart at age 35. But precisely why Johann Sebastian Bach went totally blind less than four months before his death in 1750 remains an open question—as well as the portal to a poignant story. More than two-and-a-half centuries after the fact, a prominent Finnish ophthalmologist is offering what he calls a “plausible diagnosis” of the great composer: intractable secondary glaucoma, brought on by a botched eye operation.

He also notes that Bach’s life might literally have been brighter—and perhaps even longer—if he had lived, or even traveled, about 500 miles to the west. Tarkkanen, professor emeritus of ophthalmology at the University of Helsinki notes that after Bach’s eyesight began to decline, he had both eyes operated on by traveling British eye surgeon John Taylor. Tarkkanen puts the word “surgeon” in quotes, which gives you some idea of his lack of respect for this particular practitioner. Tragically, a more modern method was being tested in the nation next door. In 1747—three years before Bach’s operation—Paris-based ophthalmologist Jacques Daviel conducted the first cataract operation using a new, safer, more effective method. His “extracapsular technique” would soon become the standard procedure for cataract operations, and remain so until the early 20th century.

http://www.psmag.com...go-blind-53250/
They've got a name for the winners in the world
I want a name when I lose
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide
Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

FairTax - because the Government shouldn't use the tax code to pick the winners and losers ........

#2 usheer

usheer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:45 PM

Precisely why Johann Sebastian Bach went totally blind less than four months before his death in 1750 remains an open question.Des Moines Jiu Jitsu

Edited by usheer, 11 March 2013 - 01:10 AM.

#3 demopublican

demopublican

20,758 posts 1 warning points

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,863 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:46 PM

Turning Japanese?
"Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that." — Steve Earle.

Disclaimer: I hate the Democrats and the Republicans but I am a registered Democrat. That way I can vote against O'Malley more often.

#4 Hexexis

Hexexis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,550 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:35 AM

I really think so ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users